Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Seems to come on pretty early so I'm thinking I'm probably getting better mileage than I think because i usually fill up right when the light comes on. My old golf I could go 80 kms easy so just curious if anyone has pushed it!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Do the math... If it is a 10.5 gallon tank... take the 10.5 -subtract (# of gallons pumped) = (X). Take (X) times your average MPG... and you have your answer. SIMPLE ;)

This is assuming you run to the pump when the light goes on:cool:

Who says high school algebra was a waste of time:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
On a motorcycle there is a reserve switch you can use,when the light comes on.Every bike I've ever owned I have purposely ran the bike till I ran out of fuel,just so I would know.Never thought of doing it in a car,but that's a great question.I would try it,just keep a gas can handy,and drive where there's a lot of gas stations.If you do,let us know!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
when the light comes on you have about 2 gallons left (may be different from car to car) 2 gallons times, lets say 38mpg, brings it to about 75 (on the safe side). most cars trigger the light to give you 50 miles of driving before your tapped out. but please dont put these numbers to the test without a spare gas jug with you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The most gals I've pumped is 9.9 gals. It seems that the empty gas indicator is generous.

Most miles traveled on a tank of gas is 280 miles.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
Just a tip if I may, I do not let the tank go much below 1/2 because some fuel pumps tend to heat up and go bad if you consistently run the car on low.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Really never had a problem with fuel pumps. Well only once when I was a teenager and accidentally put diesel in my Dad's truck. Ugly.

I do purchase my fuel from the same station as much as possible.

Since my Abarth is my primary driver, I do not worry about running it near empty even though some feel that compensation during the winter/spring months is greater concern.

That said, drive drive drive.
I love it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
794 Posts
Do the math... If it is a 10.5 gallon tank...

Who says high school algebra was a waste of time:D
Ah, cautious be, young Jedi; the Triumph Sith knows not of real gallons....

But curious; I've never had the light come on. Better check that it actually works before I roar off into the desert. I know that on my scooter it means I have about one litre left. But that's good for 20 km or so.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know the gauge drops another notch after the chime...and i pushed for about 6 miles in heavy traffic after that...i think or little cars have deeper tanks than the fuel gauge lets on.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ah, cautious be, young Jedi; the Triumph Sith knows not of real gallons....

But curious; I've never had the light come on. Better check that it actually works before I roar off into the DESERT. I know that on my scooter it means I have about one litre left. But that's good for 20 km or so.
They have deserts in Vancouver????

·
Registered
777 Posts
40 liter tank. I drove as far as I could stand it and I put in 36 liters. it is quite generous. but as oh so tiny has stated the fuel in the tank works as a heatsink for your fuelpump. constantly driving with low fuel is most likely bad.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Just a tip if I may, I do not let the tank go much below 1/2 because some fuel pumps tend to heat up and go bad if you consistently run the car on low.
I use 1/4 tank as normal fill up in our BMWs. Never had a fuel pump problem. People who run it to the light in a regular basis have had fuel pump problems.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You have a 10.5 gal tank. So if you fill 10 gallons there was .5 gal left. Calculate base on your average mpg. Lowest I ever went was a 10.2 gal fill up. I'd say I didn't have much left. 10 miles maybe.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
A 10.5 gallon gas tank is not necessarily 10.5 gallons.

I have pumped more than the rated capacity into gas tanks before. :)

Only sure way to tell is to run it dry, while carrying some gas, then hitting the nearest gas station.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts