Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brothers' Lounge delivers 6-7-11. It will be the Pearl White paint with red top and red and ivory interior. I am REALLY looking forward to this little car showing up. I test drove a 500C last Saturday and was impressed with the ride, brakes and handling but never got it up to highway speeds. I thought the build quality and fit was very nice.

Brother commutes about 60 miles every day...mostly on interstate. How hard does the motor work at say 75 MPH? RPM at that speed? This has the 6 speed auto BTW.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I can't answer your question exactly, but I commute 50+ miles each, virtually all interstate. At 65mph, I'm turning maybe 2200rpms. I have zero issues with highway driving, no buffeting, no lagging.

Ryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ryan...I appreciate you responding very much. In was starting to think no one drove their 500 at that speed. :)

So I would guess the rpm would be high 2K to low 3K at 75 MPH ?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Thanks Ryan...I appreciate you responding very much. In was starting to think no one drove their 500 at that speed. :)

So I would guess the rpm would be high 2K to low 3K at 75 MPH ?

i think the lack of response is also due to the vast majority of members here driving the 5 speed manual rather than the auto.

the 5 speed manual spins at 2900 rpm's at 70 mph.

id have to wonder if the auto spins higher since it has considerably poorer highway mileage.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am not sure how you can determine how hard the engine 'works' at 75 mph. I assume works=horsepower and that would have to do with how much throttle you are putting into it to maintain those rpms at that speed.

The Rpm's given seem about right for that speed with a manual transmission. It tends to use a bit of fuel at those speeds judging by the instant fuel mileage.

Bottomline: It works as hard as it needs to and seems up to the task of being driven at that speed.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
This engine starts making extra noise as it approaches 3000 rpm. Sounds to me like it is noticeably working harder. I don't feel like it really "works" the engine that much more, since it is not even half-way to red line. But still I stay away from it.

Whatever speed you can get with the six-speed, if you can keep it around 2900 RPM, it will just fly along. The engine never really pulls hard, it does not have a lot of torque, due to the short crankshaft.

·
Registered
818 Posts
This engine starts making extra noise as it approaches 3000 rpm
Yes, it does make a nice, throaty growl, completely pleasant to my ears, like a mean little terrier. That's around where I shift, after a couple of seconds of that little "I'm-a-Maserati-in-Chevette's-clothing" reminder.

Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts