Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already have a 500? and how many of you are going to take the Hit to get one VS just modding your current 500?
Ive gone back and forth ( and even considered selling my 500 to get something totally different) but at the end of the day, I love my 500, its a blast to drive, Ive already spent $1600 on mods and Im not ready to take the huge loss by trading it in. Ive decided to keep it for a while, and once 500 madness , Road Race or hopefully Fiat/Abarth release a bolt on turbo or supercharger kit of some kind, I will take the plunge and do that.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If I would not be losing so much on my prima I'd do it in March. As it is I will probably wait a year to get one.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, obviously I knew our cars would not gather a great trade in value but I got $14 K ( canadian) as a appraisal from my fiat studio, guess it makes sense seeing how they have like 30 500's on their lot collecting dust, but I didn't expect such a low number. Seeing is how I still owe around $21 K i'm not down with a $7000 loss, that would bring the abarth to like $36000 dollars! not worth it to me.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
If the Abarth 500c ever shows its face here, I'll just buy that, not losing money on the current car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Same here - our whole deal was to get the cabrio w/ a manual transmission. I'd love to have an Abarth, but cannot rationalize it. Also the car loses too much headroom w/ the sunroof, so unless/until an Abarth 500C appears, we'll be keeping our Pop thankyouverymuch!

·
Registered
376 Posts
It will have to be really good...

I will seriously consider trading in my sport for an Abarth but the Abarth will have to be really outstanding. The reveiws seem to imply that the sport does dive into a corner a little better than the Abarth. I would expect the Abarth to corner flatter and have more grip and of course gobs more power. I've read that the Abarths springs are 40% stiffer in the front and 20% stiffer in the rear. That's a bunch, how harsh does this car ride? Did they get too greedy? Faster isn't always more fun to drive for me.The thing I would hate to loose would be that jump into a corner that the sport does so well. That jump puts a smile on my face. To me that gives the car it's soul. The HP difference is almost compelling enough reason to trade in all on it's own, but how often can it really be used on our busy roads these days? The sport is a kick in the pants to drive around in the 10-60 MPH range. Thats what I do most often. I can throw the sport into corners and explore it's limits without being thrown in jail (most of the time). I'm having the mopar cai put on tomorrow, the 7hp will be a big boon. With the other goodies available 115 hp should not be at all out of the relm of reason. That is a very significant improvement.Add 10% stiffer springs and a thin sway bar in the rear and that might be a tough combo to beat as far as smiles per mile.:D At least for me that is. That said the Abarth could just be REALLY special. The early reveiws I've read may be based on a car that they might still be fine tuning before final release. The small amount of negative things they mention in the MT reveiw might be gone from the final product. I can hardly wait to drive this car.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah you've made some great points. Another factor is the abarth weighs 2550 while the sport weighs just under 2400 so that probably has something to do with how well the sport goes into corners. I'm shaving 5 lbs off each corner with lighter wheels so that will make a huge difference. Im running the road race intake and magnaflow exhaust and the difference has been very noticeable. Adding an ecu tune will be next and with those 3 mods, lighter wheels and the coilovers I have coming I'm sure my sport will be more than enough fun

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I can't see myself trading in my Sport for an Abarth anytime soon. It just doesn't make sense financially. I still want to test drive one, and perhaps in a few years I'd consider trading in, but definitely not right away. Plus I can't get one in Azzurro :p

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If I would not be losing so much on my prima I'd do it in March. As it is I will probably wait a year to get one.
I'm in your court. Probably TWO years in my case. Of course by then, like the Mini, the price will have gone UP.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Totally agree with The Stig. The mods so far have made my Sport just the way I like it, especially in the tossability and throttle response realm. I'm sure the Abarth is much fun, but so is my car right now. I love speed, but there's much more to driving smiles than just horsepower, and the modified Sport creates those smiles in spades.

Would I buy an Abarth Convertible after my BMW lease ends and have TWO Fiats, one for me and one for my wife? Maybe....!!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Having second thoughts as well. I might want to buy the Abarth shocks and springs from parts dept and call it a day for a while-can always re-sell those when I am ready to buy the whole car. Sport has lots of pep with Sport mode on and computer nanny off and with a more balanced suspension, it could be close on the twisties, just won't win any drag races.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For me, it depends on the mod-bug. Rather than spend thousands trying to get another 20hp out of my Sport, I'd just take the hit and get an Abarth. If I'm happy with it as-is come spring, I'll stand pat. (This is also dependent on if dealers don't start acting stupid, as I would never pay a "market adjustment.")

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had a Nissan Juke before this, so similar power and size to an Abarth (although on short stilts). But there is just something much more fun about having to work for the speed. I love my Sport, and while yeah, there are some times when I wish it had another 60 horses, I know if I got an Abarth I would still want more.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a Nissan Juke before this, so similar power and size to an Abarth (although on short stilts). But there is just something much more fun about having to work for the speed. I love my Sport, and while yeah, there are some times when I wish it had another 60 horses, I know if I got an Abarth I would still want more.
Yeah exactly. The more you have, the more you want. I've owned 240 hp cars and was still always trying to by the next mod to gain 5-10 hp. If anything with 101 hp in our sports and with it being so lightweight, every 5 hp you gain is much more noticable than 5-10 hp on a 200 hp car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.