Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a dealer in the DC area today and talked to a guy and they said they are only accepting the sticker price, not a penny less. So I'm curious what everyone else is paying for their Abarth. I was told 26000 for leather seats, 17" wheels, mirror caps and stripe. Those are the only options. Am I getting a deal our am I being worked over because truecar.com says I should be paying $25000 instead out the door.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd tell turecar.com to "show you the money". I'd be absolutely shocked to see one for sale for a penny less than MSRP. I'd be even more shocked if they don't charge more than MSRP, either with undercoating, ADP, or "fees".

If you can get it for MSRP + shipping + actual taxes/registration, I'd jump on it.

The car you mention with shipping is $22,700 + $1000 leather + $1000 for 17" +$350 for mirror caps/stripes. That's $25,050.00, not $26K. Tell them you'll be happy to pay MSRP but they didn't quote you list.

sunroof =$850.00
convenience/safety = $600.00
engine block heater = $50.00
smoker's package = $30.00

That's it I think.

Cheers

·
Registered
260 Posts
Supply being limited on the Abarths for 2012 intentionally and the demand expected to be high will result in most paying at least full MSRP in my opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm paying MSRP. There may or may not be discounts in the future, but I didn't want to wait. It's worth it to me to have one of the first cars.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If Fiat has to discount Abarths before they are ever on the street, that's a real bad omen. Figure sticker price if you wait and over sticker if you buy one off the lot (if that is even possible this early in the game).

·
Registered
856 Posts
Which studio did you go?
Im from dc/va area too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm paying sticker for mine and I'm actually happy I'm not having to pay more. I remember when the PT Cruiser was announced, people were paying well over MSRP to place their order. I'm willing to pay sticker just so I can order the exact car I want. By the way, this will be the first of about 5 cars I've bought that I've payed sticker. If the car is in dealer stock and the model has been out for a year or more, then you have a lot more wiggle room with the price. Abarths, right now, are selling before they even ship. Not a good sign you'll be able to negotiate much off the price, for a while at least.

·
Registered
260 Posts
monkeyman. I am getting mine in Alexandria as well. I'm getting their demo. Heard they got another demo allocated to them but with 16inch wheels. I believe they are alloted 4 Abarths for regular sales. Are you one of them?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
monkeyman. I am getting mine in Alexandria as well. I'm getting their demo. Heard they got another demo allocated to them but with 16inch wheels. I believe they are alloted 4 Abarths for regular sales. Are you one of them?
Nah, they told me if I order it, I may be getting it in May. I think they said the first order they are getting in like April. I dunno though. I've heard they are getting 6-10 for the first allocation, then another 6-10 for the second. I think they are just telling me anything I want to hear so I jump on it and buy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That actually sounds about right. The demo is scheduled for delivery in late March, early April. The other Abarths won't arrive until May. Since they are going to be limited in numbers built and each studio's allocations will be based upon their sales, it makes sense they'd want folks to commit. That said, the sooner you do order the sooner you get it. Some places want a minimum of 500 bucks just to get an order. I checked with several in the D.C. metro area, Maryland and Virginia. The Alexandria studio never asked me for a deposit when others wanted money up front. Good luck whatever you choose.

·
Registered
376 Posts
MSRP +0. I am really happy with that price. I also got a really killer trade-in value for my pearl white sport.
The dealer (Tacoma,Wa.) said after deliveries start new orders will be MSRP +2000. It will be interesting to see if they get it.

Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.....;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand the reason why the dealerships will only sell the car for the sticker price and not a penny less with the demand that this car is getting. People come in asking for them everyday and the reviews so far have been great to those lucky few who have driven them. But I will say this, at the end of the day, dealerships want to sell cars. Yes, they want to get as much money out of you as possible so they will use these hard sales tactics to convince you that they will not budge on the price. The power of the consumer is that you are not obligated to purchase a vehicle from a particular dealership and we have the freedom to shop around.

That being said, I was able to negotiate a deal to get less than the MSRP for my order because I was able to walk away the first time and let them know I am willing to shop around. An hour later the salesman called me saying that he was able to talk to his boss and get a $500 discount off the sticker price. Might I remind you that this car is an order, hopefully being in the second round of orders coming to the area so this car is definitely in high demand.

But I guess what I'm trying to say is that the dealerships are out there to sell cars and if you are willing to walk out, you may get something out of the deal. I know $500 isn't a lot of money less than what you may be able to get these in the future but I just wanted to let you all know that this is possible because I believe the dealership gave the discount to another guy too so it's not like I'm a master negotiator.

Worse case scenario that could have happened after I walked out of the dealership the first time was that I'd call around, see what other dealers were willing to do, and if nothing better, go back to the original dealer and pay sticker price.

But hopefully this helps guys who tend to fall for what the dealer says is the absolute truth. I think it was well worth the negotiating, I mean $500 is a lot of money and in fact makes the mirror caps and the ABARTH stripe on the side of my car free. Good luck to those on the road, and don't let those dealerships take advantage of you.

GET YOU SOME!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Monkeyman00,

I totally agree. I'm wanting to by the Abarth also, but I am not going to pay MSRP. I'll just wait for the hype to go down. My main concern is seeing if there are any issues with the car. If I have to I'll just wait until the 2013 comes out or get a good deal on a late 2012. I hope other people read and considered the advice you have given, it is sound.

Jesse
San Antonio, TX

·
Registered
260 Posts
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens when the Abarths are out. I suspect they will sell like hotcakes and most will sell for full MSRP if not more. That is just the market setting the price. As the previous poster indicated, he was able to work out a 500 dollar reduction in price from MSRP. That is fantastic and kudos for his results. We should all be so fortunate. However, what works in one area of the country for sales may not work in another. I suspect that when the Abarth is released that folks in most places won't get that kind of an opportunity. Next year, without knowing what the market will be for Abarth sales, we just can't say with any certainty that the prices will be down by 1500-2000. That is just pure conjecture at this point. At the end of the day, if you get what you are after and you feel good about the deal, thats what really matters.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My dealer has 32 deposits for Abarths, I highly doubt they would care if I threaten to walk out if I didn't get $500 off MSRP.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, I totally agree! That is why I'm in no hurry. I know there is a lot people wanting for this car, but man to pay MSRP is just crazy.
"Crazy" is a bit over the top, don't you think? (And, frankly, rather insulting.) I could say the same thing about people who are willing to delay their gratification just to save a few bucks. Plus, Fiat's MSRP isn't all that much higher than dealer cost. It's not like there are huge margins or anything.

·
Registered
515 Posts
"Crazy" is a bit over the top, don't you think? (And, frankly, rather insulting.) I could say the same thing about people who are willing to delay their gratification just to save a few bucks. Plus, Fiat's MSRP isn't all that much higher than dealer cost. It's not like there are huge margins or anything.
I agree. This car is well priced and in high demand right now.

I am willing to pay MSRP as the price of being first. I would not pay a penny over MSRP since there are 10 dealers within 50 miles. About 7 of those are selling at MSRP.

One dealer wanted to charge me $2500 over MSRP and I could be in the first round of orders. I said no way, I have 9 other dealers in the area and 7 of them are selling at MSRP.

I'm number 15 on the list. Ten orders have already been placed. That's first enough for me. Hopefully my order will be placed soon!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts