Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: To completely kill a 500e permanently dead, just leave the key on 1 or 2 clicks while it's parked unplugged for a few days.

That's all! :oops:

Even in "accessory" mode it burns about 1% per hour, so even with a full charge it would hit zero after about 4 days. At some point below that, the car may shut itself off, but even off it drains over 3.3% per week so the HV drive battery pack will be ruined.

& you still have to be careful to avoid the following...

Original post:

To completely kill a 500e permanently dead, just let it sit until the HV battery drops damagingly low.

That's all!

I've now read several reports of this, & it's a sad waste, so hopefully this post will help prevent a few users from making the same mistake. It's pretty easy to do, since it loses over 3.3% per week.

For example, you could leave it at 50% unplugged at your summer or winter home for 5 months* & then the HV battery is ruined.
Or you could be at 20% when you get a glitch that prevents charging**, then use another car for 2 months before fixing the 500e & now the HV battery is ruined.

*Even plugged in, make sure you have a way to monitor it, such as an app connected to the car or to a smart plug, so you know the circuit breaker didn't trip.
**Or if you have like 80k miles it might actually need a new onboard charger.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Someone recently reported killing the HV drive battery in 6 months unplugged, starting at 85%. That's over 3.3% drain per week, so I changed the original post above to match.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
2nd UPDATE: Someone else just reported draining the HV drive battery to zero by leaving the key on for a few days. That would kill it MUCH faster, so I edited it into the original post.

Since it's silent, it's pretty easy to forget to shut off, especially in a private garage when you're not using the key to lock it. I recently left mine on, TWICE, even after over 6 years of ownership. I only noticed later because I always leave my headlights on.

·
Registered
2016 500e
221 Posts
2nd UPDATE: Someone else just reported draining the HV drive battery to zero by leaving the key on for a few days. That would kill it MUCH faster, so I edited it into the original post.

Since it's silent, it's pretty easy to forget to shut off, especially in a private garage when you're not using the key to lock it. I recently left mine on, TWICE, even after over 6 years of ownership. I only noticed later because I always leave my headlights on.
How/when you close the door can affect it too. I have been trying to reduce contactor cycles by plugging in the charger before turning off when I get home. However the car stays on in accy mode if it is turned off with the door open. I have to close and reopen the door for it to turn off fully.

Not a concern if it is plugged in to charge, but could be if the driver opened the door then shut off and closed the door and left without open/close afterwards..

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
How/when you close the door can affect it too. I have been trying to reduce contactor cycles by plugging in the charger before turning off when I get home. However the car stays on in accy mode if it is turned off with the door open. I have to close and reopen the door for it to turn off fully.

Not a concern if it is plugged in to charge, but could be if the driver opened the door then shut off and closed the door and left without open/close afterwards..

Are you sure the accessory mode doesn't time out? I think it does after something like 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2016 500e
221 Posts
I have not tested it, I will tonight if I can remember. It just struck me as odd it stayed on with the door opened. My other vehicles if the door is open when you turn the key off, the whole vehicle turns off.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure the accessory mode doesn't time out? I think it does after something like 5 minutes.
Accessory mode doesn't time out with the key in. I've left mine like that for over an hour. So it would completely kill the HV drive battery pack permanently dead pretty quickly:

4 days from full charge to zero %. Many users have gone below zero & even when the motor shuts off, the car stays on. There's likely an even lower voltage where it does shut off, but after that it still drops by over 3.3% per week. A bit of that & the HV is ruined.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Accessory mode doesn't time out with the key in. I've left mine like that for over an hour. So it would completely kill the HV drive battery pack permanently dead pretty quickly:

4 days from full charge to zero %. Many users have gone below zero & even when the motor shuts off, the car stays on. There's likely an even lower voltage where it does shut off, but after that it still drops by over 3.3% per week. A bit of that & the HV is ruined.
I was (maybe incorrectly) assuming lamrith was talking about accessory mode being on when the key is out. If it stayed on with the key out, that would be unusual and somewhat surprising, and the reason I asked.

·
Registered
2016 500e
221 Posts
I was (maybe incorrectly) assuming lamrith was talking about accessory mode being on when the key is out. If it stayed on with the key out, that would be unusual and somewhat surprising, and the reason I asked.
Yes it does with key out and door open if the door is open before turning car off. However as ETS mentions there could be a timer. I did not check it lastnight, hope to tonight.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Key OFF is off.

I just checked my 2013:

Even after plugging in with the door open, in ON ("ready" mode) or in ACC mode ("not ready" displayed), as soon as the key is turned to "OFF", the headlights & HVAC go off, even with the door left open, & even with the key left in.

The instrument display does stay lit momentarily, showing charge voltage, time to complete, & the last drive's data, but then it goes off.

The radio works while charging, but of course that's not an issue.

·
Registered
2016 500e
221 Posts
Key OFF is off.

I just checked my 2013:

Even after plugging in with the door open, in ON ("ready" mode) or in ACC mode ("not ready" displayed), as soon as the key is turned to "OFF", the headlights & HVAC go off, even with the door left open, & even with the key left in.

The instrument display does stay lit momentarily, showing charge voltage, time to complete, & the last drive's data, but then it goes off.

The radio works while charging, but of course that's not an issue.
Yes that is the same result I got when I got home, was coming here to confirm it. Plugged in it stays on, but not plugged in, it shuts down when key pulled.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is not the result I got on my 2013.

Key OFF is off.

With or without charging or the left door open, it always goes off the instant the key is turned off, & only the display stays on for a few moments.

IF it's charging, the radio stays on, with or without the door closed or the key in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts