Fiat 500 Forum banner

How To Install Aftermarket License Plate Frame

10K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Thunderbolt 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I recently came across a EuroCompulsion license plate frame and decided to do a step by step guide while installing it.

This is a fairly basic install with minimal tools needed. Ok lets start.

Tools:

Step 1:

Make sure your ratchet is set to lefty loosey.

Step 2:
Place ratchet on the end of the left screw.

Step 3:
Begin to turn to the left. This will start to loosen the screw.

Step 4:
Once the screw is out grab it with your fingers and remove it from the frame.

Step 5:
Place the screw somewhere you won't lose it. I find the top of the bumper to be ideal for this.

Step 6:
Repeat steps 2 through 5 to the right screw.

Step 7:
Now here's where the fun begins! Remove the old plate and frame from the car and separate the license plate from the old frame.

Step 8:
Pick up the new license plate frame.

Step 9:
Turn it over.

Step 10:
Place your license plate in the new license plate frame making sure to line up the mounting holes.

Step 11:
Pro tip: You can place a screw through the hole to keep it aligned as you prepare to re-mount your plate.

Step 12:
Before you start installing the new frame make sure your ratchet is set to righty tighty.

Step 13:
By reversing steps 5 through 2 you should be able to re-install the mounting screw. Be careful not to over-tighten.

Step 14:
When starting the right side you can use your fingers to get the screw started.

Step 15:
Now you can stand back and admire your work. Job well done!

This is a simple visual mod that is sure to impress. I already love the new look!
Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm betting 10 horsepower gained just by removal....

#10 ·
This is amusing to say the least!

I remember you and your car, the exhaust tips and stickers are obviously a huge giveaway...lol.

I meant to ask about the Abarth on the rear of the bumper when we were hanging out the other week so I am going to ask now where you got it as I would like to have one in flat black for my Grigio Abarth as well. Thanks!

#12 ·
Okay, as someone that works at a Fiat dealer, I feel like I should provide a word of caution here. We usually only allow trained and certified technicians to perform a job like this (or just whoever's in the back). It's very easy for something to go wrong and do damage to your vehicle. Please be careful, take your time and don't be afraid to stop and consult your dealer if you have any issues.

#13 ·
I lost track of my left screw. Used a nail and some hot glue as an alternative. Great tutorial!

Reactions: bainbridgeny
#16 ·
Reactions: lorvar
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.