Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about the airbag system on this car yet? I want to install new seats in my sport because the seats (and driving position) in the 500 are terrible, but I have to get past the airbag faults. I was really hoping this would be a two wire system, but it's seven, which implies a bus or topology of some kind like CAN. Any help, wiring diagrams, etc. would be much appreciated. I like the car but I'm not going to keep it for more than a year or so of I'm stuck with these seats.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you're going to remove the seats, then just deal with the warning light.
And make sure you reinstall the original seats before you sell it to some unsuspecting person.

BC.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're going to remove the seats, then just deal with the warning light.

BC.
Ummm... No. Not exactly an elegant solution. Also, I wouldn't know if the rest of the system would function with the fault. Also, if another fault came up I wouldn't know. None of these conditions would be safe.

And make sure you reinstall the original seats before you sell it to some unsuspecting person.

BC.
Of course; which is why I don't want to modify the original seats to solve the problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know if seat modules need to be programmed to the car or if they can just be swapped? I have some ideas I want to explore.

·
Registered
707 Posts
@kapium, with swapping out modules, I would think the module is wired to the airbag to deploy. I'm not sure if all seat airbags are similar in wiring.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only way to bypass the side airbags in the seat is to use special adapter that bypasses the airbag. They come standard with Sabelt seats in Europe. Not sure if they are compatible with the North American 500. The 2012 North American Fiat 500 has a new airbag system with driver and multi-stage front-passenger advanced air bags, driver’s knee air bag, full-length side-curtain air bags and seat-mounted side pelvic-thorax air bags. Reactive head restraints activate during a rear impact, preventing whiplash.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Sabelt seats come with a "jumper" it is an orange plastic piece with a resistor inside (2.2 ohms) that will fool the ECU into thinking the airbags are still there and not put the airbag light on the dashboard.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Sabelt seats come with a "jumper" it is an orange plastic piece with a resistor inside (2.2 ohms) that will fool the ECU into thinking the airbags are still there and not put the airbag light on the dashboard.
Ok, on which pins?

Also, I agree that this may still be incomparable with the American system, as it is different. If I know which pins I'll go tone them out and see what I get. If it looks like the same resistive value on the the same voltage I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the lead though, I was really hoping for a resistive value as opposed to a a bus com. I hope it pans out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry I have no idea. But on my 1996 Fiat Barchetta I imported into Montreal 3 years ago it has a TRW airbag system. 3 wires, 2 sense the airbag and the third to deploy the airbag. Keep us posted. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Convertible Fiat barchetta

·
Registered
962 Posts
I completely understand your pain of trying to find the 'sweet spot' driving position. The problem here is if you push the seat back, your knees have better clearance from the dreaded transmission console but now you are reaching for the steering wheel and the pedals. And if it's too close you are contantly contorting your body trying to avoid the center console. I hear ya loud and clear. Rather than install new seats - maybe you can push the seat back a bit, and use some gas and brake pedal overlays [like aftermarket racing pedals] to build up some height. And maybe remove the steering wheel and add some washers to try to give it some telescopic length. You can also unbolt the front or rear of the seats and add some bushings to give it the 'rake' that you are looking for. I have done all of these suggestions in the past with other cars and it helped tremendously. Maybe it can help you too.

·
Registered
707 Posts
correct. looking into trying these out... stay TUNED

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@michaelo

I appreciate your suggestions, but it's not a sweet spot problem. I'm fine reaching everything fom the seats, but they are just so far below my standards. also, they are way too high and lack literal support. The car is deigned for the driver to sit about 3" lower than I do. This causes one to look out the top rather than center of windows, causes the rear line of sight to be trimmed, bumps your head against the headliner, and raises the center of gravity and leaning effect. All that just won't do. I'm knd of digging those sabelt assets corse seats. Might import a pair.

·
Registered
230 Posts
are the assets corse the 695 seats? looks good!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Another option is to go to a junk yard and pick up some Miata seats, they are very comfortable and you can fabricate some brackets to make it fit to the floor. They should also be cheap in price too.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Another option is to go to a junk yard and pick up some Miata seats, they are very comfortable and you can fabricate some brackets to make it fit to the floor. They should also be cheap in price too.
Having a Miata (NB model) I agree but I would say you might like MR2 seats a great deal more if you can adapt them to fit, they have much greater adjust ability and power/heat options, unless you meant the newer NC model Miata.

·
Registered
962 Posts
MR2 might be the way to go, but man those cars are getting harder and harder to find parts for. I wish I had one.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts