Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member this week. Have been watching the progress of the 500 for awhile now, driven through Italy a couple of times in the last year or so, and have been very jealous of the small hatch selections over there (500, Mito, 1 hatch, etc.). Glad to see another option coming over soon.

Have a 90 CRX Si that I've done a good amount of work to, now mostly sees summer autox duty. DD is a 2002 Mercedes C230 (the hatch that didn't catch on so well here), basically a 4-person CRX with much more heft, much less fun, and much less reliability, which is why I've got to keep my options open for a car in the next year or so.

Looking forward to the Abarth's arrival next year. Though I'm a little concerned about the dealer network here; I hope that Fiat doesn't leave the 500 to whither and die on the Chrysler network vine. It will be an interesting thing to watch.

Anyway, good site - hoping to learn from owners' experiences for those who are adventureous enough to be the first to take the plunge here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome Tommy. I'm also a Honda guy! please post pic's of the CRX, would love to see. I heard the 500 will be sold at Chrysler dealerships, but i would prefer if it was sold at a Ferrari dealer. Would make for a nice excuse to check out Ferrari's while i get my future 500 serviced haha.

I too wish to learn more here and share my knowledge on this great forum.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
It's not a Japanese car. People's experiences vary with the same model car, because of their driving habits. If you are someone who is oblivious to what the car requires and want to "just drive it", you may not have good luck with a Fiat.

In Europe they drive completely differently (other than too fast like we do). They have a wide range of models that somehow seem to survive. I saw a stunning yellow Peugeot 107 with diplomatic plates around town.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I figured it wasn't Japanese when I saw the "Fiat" name in front of it. :confused:

Couple of pics of the CRX - it's got a ZC engine (130 hp non-US engine, vs. normal US 108 hp), cams, cold air intake, etc. It's a great car, speedy - 174k on the clock and hopefully much more in the future. Hoping the Abarth is close to as much fun with a bit more practicality - the rollbar and other stuff has made it a one-trick pony at this point.

Oh, and go Nittany Lions! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Yes, I figured it wasn't Japanese when I saw the "Fiat" name in front of it. :confused:
Let me try to clear up the confusion. The only way Fiat is going to be able to stay here is if a majority of owners have a good experience with them. Otherwise it's going to be "Fix it Again, Tony" all over again.

I actually knew a woman who methodically destroyed a new Saab in less than a year. She bought a Toyota Camry after that, and has had good luck with that. That is an anecdotal example, but I think you can get the drift of my argument.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Let me try to clear up the confusion. The only way Fiat is going to be able to stay here is if a majority of owners have a good experience with them. Otherwise it's going to be "Fix it Again, Tony" all over again.

I actually knew a woman who methodically destroyed a new Saab in less than a year. She bought a Toyota Camry after that, and has had good luck with that. That is an anecdotal example, but I think you can get the drift of my argument.
lol @ Fix It Again, Tony

I have a good feeling about the new Fiat 500 and feel it will be a good car, but with Chrysler behind it....it leaves me with some doubts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts