Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure this doesn't count as a "Build", as there's absolutely nothing radical planned for this little 500, so if this thread is in the wrong place let me know.

As I posted in the new members intro section, I recently bought myself a 2015 500 Lounge.
This is a bit of a deal for me as I'm primarily a Motorcyclist and not many regular cars catch my eye.
I couldn't resit the styling of the 500 though so I've been looking for "the right one" to come along for about a year now.
When I saw this one at a nearby dealership I just had to snap it up.

I'll be subtly tweaking the spec to suit my tastes over the coming months so I'll document it in this thread.

I've been cleaning it up as time and weather allow but the weathers pretty dismal over here in Ireland at the moment so no proper pics until the sun shows it's face I'm afraid!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Even if you’re not planning massive mods, I like the idea of a build thread being used to have one place to record your entire ownership experience. So my completely meaningless vote is “go right ahead”. And good luck with the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As you can see from the forecourt pic the car was pretty clean but looked like it had generaly been used, serviced and ignored.
Anyway, I'm fussy about my toys so pretty clean wasn't enough.
Time for some pampering.

First up was a deep clean of the exterior so it was a proper handwash, powerwash, claybar and a coat of Meguires Gold Class Carnuba plus.

Then I moved onto the wheels which looked like they'd seen nothing but cold water since 2015. :(

I started with this

Two treatments with wheel cleaner and I had this

I used an acid cleaner to remove the heavily ingrained dirt and contamination but I shouldn't need to resort to that again.
A coat of Lustre Seal on the alloys and a dab of tyre dressing

And then re-fitted

I added a set of bling dust caps as a finishing touch, because I can be a bit of a tart like that!
It'll probably only be a matter of weeks before some urchin runs off with them for his BMX.
;)

I'm pretty happy with these rims.
They look good and are sized modestly enough to keep the ride comfortable over bad surfaces.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
While the car itself was pretty clean the flip out key was downright filthy!

So that had to change. :D

The old key came apart and was cleaned.

New parts were ordered from Fiat/Abarth

And this was the end result

It was a very straight forward job; took maybe 20 mins start to finish.
Like I said previously, I can be a tart sometimes! :D

It feels much better now, the key blade locking into position much more tightly.

If anyone's going to give this a go a small magnet can be very handy for removing the tiny spring inside the key release button.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So todays minor tweak.
I love Alcantara as a fabric and SWMBO loves her seatbelt shoulder pads so I had these made up.

Charcoal Alcantara with Ivory stitching to match the accents on the upholstery.

Some of the off the peg pads are huge and over padded.
These are only 22cm long so the proportions are right for the diminutive Fiat.

I love the Charcoal Alcantara, looks good, feels great and is hard wearing.

I'm not sure about the durability of the stock Fiat fabric though.
Mines in great, like new, condition but it looks like it might mark very easily.
I may Scotchgard it to keep it looking right.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I added a rear STS sway bar and EC engine tune. Also a full frontal clear bra including all front lights covered.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even if you’re not planning massive mods, I like the idea of a build thread being used to have one place to record your entire ownership experience. So my completely meaningless vote is “go right ahead”. And good luck with the car!
I've enjoyed reading your ownership thread too.
Careful of those track days, they're extremely addictive.
Although I usually do them on two wheels rather than 4.

I like the key cover... nicely done.
Thanks, I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

I added a rear STS sway bar and EC engine tune. Also a full frontal clear bra including all front lights covered.
Sway bars and/or Eibach springs are under consideration but I'll live with the car for a while before making a decision. I need to have a word with my insurance company too to see what mods I can get away with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another minor mod completed.
I fitted a Rati Armster-2 for a little added comfort and handy storage.

The storage compartment has dedicated slots to store a pen and coins for tolls without them rattling around.
The main compartment can easily swallow my phone, sunglasses, a torch etc... so quite practical.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Another minor mod completed.
I fitted a Rati Armster-2 for a little added comfort and handy storage.
I like that... off to see if they have them to fit the 2018. (Maybe not, since it has folding arm wrests built into the seat back.) My biggest complaint in my car is the lack of storage. I miss having a console to toss change into. (I recently needed laundromat change, so took the old car. I pulled enough for the washer/drier, snack and a soda... and didn't dent the change in the console.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Todays Mod.

The stock Arial isn't exactly pretty. :(

So decided to fit a colour matched Shark Fin for a sleeker look.

Much happier with that!

Potential Downside: The car may become known as "Baby Shark" from here on in! :confused:

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
Is that a shark fin antenna , for navigation. Looks good nice and clean.
Less chance of it getting damaged in a automatic car wash.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts