Fiat 500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How's your car doing? Why do you love it so much!

And how many of you have traded in your Toyota for a Fiat?

And how is it that you can so simply do that - any fears about owning a car, (The Fiat 500) that has zero track record here - zero reliability stats, here in the US and the crash tests aren't even out yet - for this car...

Now now folks, I still haven't decided what to do - fun to go back/forth on buying a new car!
What to do, stick with Toyota and be pragmatic or somewhat go blindly into Fiat Country?

Remember, I own an MGB, '79 - Roadster. Fun, fast, low and completely impractical! Exactly!!!

Here's my conundrum folks: I would love to own a Fiat - but I'm spoiled, I'm spoiled owning a Toyota. Yeah yeah naysayers, abstain from the comments about "Oh - you ought not buy a Fiat, you won't be happy!" What do you know about what I want? Geewiz! You don't know a darn thing about me besides that I am danthefitman and I own a MGB Roadster and a Toyota Tacoma. Do you know where I went to elementary school...see - you don't...ha!

I've read my fair share of posts, both good, bad and mostly, "high on Fiat-crack" so getting a straight answer out of people without the massive bias of this car - and the "high" it gives you - is like asking a drunk person to walk straight - it aint gonna happen! So, calm down - take a deep breath and tell me how your car is doing, really! Ha ha ha! Now back to your regular scheduled smirk, and driving your Fiat until you explode with giggyness. :eek:

·
Registered
145 Posts
O.K. Since you asked, I've been back to the dealer 3 times, no actual problems -- just a couple of minuscule paint chips and the complicated electronic controls. Each trip I was greeted warmly, given an espresso and sent on my way with the problem resolved.

I traded a nearly new car for my Red Sport. It's fun to drive, is more comfortable than expected and has a great stereo. I'm not afraid of the Fiat being new. It's been out in Europe for years, garnering numerous awards.

I don't really expect any major issues and should I have a problem, I'll get a loaner car.

Do I expect to still have the car in 3 years? Maybe. Or maybe I'll upgrade to a 500C.

Dan, I really don't think you'll buy a Fiat, at least not this year. Maybe when the Abarth makes it to the US. If you want a "sure thing" try a Hyundai -- better looking and more reliable than a Toyota.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Dan,

I am the same boat. I have been driving Honda Accords forever and I am seriously thinking about the Fiat. Somehow the car has really grabbed me. It's new and different. It has style and lots of cool tech stuff. The 500 does have a track record in Europe and seems to be well liked. The warrenty 4 year 50,000 miles should should give you some confidence.

I guess you could buy a Yaris but as you probably know, Toyota has had their share of problems.

**** Luck!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had mine almost 3 months with 1400 miles, no issues, traded a 2010 taurus with 7750 miles on it. No fears, took one look at it and had to have it. I hope to trade it in a year or two for a 500 c.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I traded a 2009 Forester with 52k miles for my Fiat. The Subie was perfectly reliable, awesome in the snow, and could haul my dogs and a boat load of mulch and garden supplies from Lowes. On the flip side, it was dreadfully boring to drive, we don't get that much snow in Fredericksburg, Va, and my GTI can handle dogs and such. I finally couldn't take a boring car, test drove the Fiat, loved it and bought it.

Here's what I think of the Fiat after 2300 miles:
First of all, I'm still drinking and enjoying the Fiat Kool-Aid, but I can give an honest opinion.
Despite having only 101 hp, it doesn't feel that much slower than my Forester. It definitely doesn't seem as slow as Car and Driver described it in their 500 vs Mini comparison a while back.
It's fun to drive. The size, handling, seating position all add up to an entertaining daily driver.
The interior is better than my Subaru. The seats and steering wheel are comfortable, and the rest of the interior materials feel pretty good for a car at its price point. The stereo is great, better in fact than the system in my GTI. The cup holders are too small to comfortably fit two cups of coffee and the center armrest would be better if there were a little more resistance to it's movement. The manual shift knob feels cheap.

I'm not too worried about the reliability. I felt comfortable knowing the car was on sale for some time in Europe and the warranty makes me feel better about any initial bugs. Besides, I've experienced the delight that was a '96 Neon and an early fourth generation VW GTI with it's goofy little problems. How bad can the 500 be?

Overall, I'm just happy to be driving an entertaining car again. A good Consumer Reports rating and perfect reliability doesn't always keep me happy in a car, which is why I was willing to take a chance on the Fiat.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I actually traded in 2 Toyotas in on my Lounge. An 04 Highlander, owned since new and never had one problem. Also an 09 Matrix XRS, bought used that I had only owned a few months but it had low miles and no problems. I have owned 3 Scion Xbs that I made into show cars and went all over Texas and surrounding states picking up lot of trophies and money. All were flawless. I mention these because they are similar in power to the 500. The Fiat feels more substantial than the Xbs and the Matrix. Now I can't predict the future but I am loving the 500 so much I haven't had one minute of worry or doubt. So far so good.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have had my sport for 1k miles, added a rrm exhaust and a few black interior pieces. no problems so far at all. its a fun little car. i feel that the 5spd is a must have. i cruise at 80-90mph on my commute. no problems with that. if i need to pass at 70plus it put it in 4th and go.. the ride is fine, firm a little bumpy but fine. controls are fine. blue tooth is fine, stereo is fine. i like the gauges, easy to read and i like the 2 in 1 tach speedo. i really believe that due to the complex engine, oil changes at 4k with full synthetic are a must.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Along with some members here that have yet to purchase their 500 yet, I, am too on the road to owning one soon; as I am waiting to check out the Abarth or still deciding among those that are now available. Having owned an 05 WRX and other performance vehicles, though currently driving an 05 Tacoma.

Regarding to 500's reliability, all vehicles have their own faults. (Read: I rarely abuse my vehicles except the occasional spirited driving.) For example, all my Toyotas I've owned have some sort of complaint: 05 Tacoma's 200K+ (frm new) has had drive shaft u-joints replaced, 04 Camry 200K+ (frm new) has infinite noises everywhere, AND both motors wear down MUCH MUCH faster than my 22R. Toyotas ARE NOT built like they're use to. 01 Accord auto tranny slipped at ~110K. WRX has a weak dinosaur tranny regardless of how delicate I heel-toe or rev match, its EJ motor also has a known gasket problem.

Anyways, my point is that nothing is perfect, nor forever. Enjoy the moment, enjoy how your vehicle can stir your soul with its perfecting from your point-of-view. Any enthusiast will overlook its vehicle's problems. Think of it this way, at least it doesn't explode when rear-ended! =)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I traded my 05 Toyota Matrix manual for my Red Pop manual.

As for my Matrix, it was a good car, though its reliability and stuff really didn't seem to be any better or worse than any of my other new cars that I had owned. I did have one recall on my Matrix (which seems about typical for all the other new cars I have owned, except for my 01 Hyundai Accent, which didn't have any that I can recall).

As for my Fiat, since a version of the 500 has been around in Europe for awhile and its kind of based on the Panda as well, I'm not too overly concerned about its reliability (yet :nervous: ).

The only real knock I had againast my Matrix was that the fuel efficiency was a bit lower than I was hoping. In general I mostly got lower efficiency than listed, (except for a couple weeks where I did alot of highway driving).

For my Hyundai I almost always got somewhere between the city and highway rating for it, and on my Fiat I seem to be getting a fair bit above rated values (including a couple 50 mile trips where I've gotten just over 50 mpg).

So, basically I've been pretty happy and comfortable with my purchase decision. (I've had it for just under 4 months and have just under 4000 miles on it right now).

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
31 Posts
I traded my 05 Toyota Matrix manual for my Red Pop manual.

As for my Matrix, it was a good car, though its reliability and stuff really didn't seem to be any better or worse than any of my other new cars that I had owned. I did have one recall on my Matrix (which seems about typical for all the other new cars I have owned, except for my 01 Hyundai Accent, which didn't have any that I can recall).

As for my Fiat, since a version of the 500 has been around in Europe for awhile and its kind of based on the Panda as well, I'm not too overly concerned about its reliability (yet :nervous: ).

The only real knock I had againast my Matrix was that the fuel efficiency was a bit lower than I was hoping. In general I mostly got lower efficiency than listed, (except for a couple weeks where I did alot of highway driving).

For my Hyundai I almost always got somewhere between the city and highway rating for it, and on my Fiat I seem to be getting a fair bit above rated values (including a couple 50 mile trips where I've gotten just over 50 mpg).

So, basically I've been pretty happy and comfortable with my purchase decision. (I've had it for just under 4 months and have just under 4000 miles on it right now).

Regards

Pat
Whoa.... what?! You've gotten just over 50mpg?! That's 10mpg above EPA! What was your ave. speed, outside air temp, and motor-oil viscosity? That's some impressive numbers!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I traded in my 09 Escalade for the Fiat. I tell my wife everyday how much I Love my Fiat she is starting to get a complex. It's just awesome to drive. I have 3100 miles of worry free miles. Pending what the Abarth exact specs are I am purchasing one.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

Hi,

Its only been on a couple trips but here's some info that I had posted on another board.

"I took a trip today up to Maryland. On the way up I traveled mostly on Highway 495, 95, 32 and 295, plus some side streets (that typically with a speed limit of 45mph). By mostly keeping close to the speed limits and avoiding jack rabbit starts or revving for a long time in the lower gears, on the way up I traveled 52.3 miles and had a mpg of 50.6 according to the trip computer, eventhough I hit a little stop and go traffic for a couple minutes.

After running some errands up there, and making a detour to Herdon, VA on the way back, according to the trip computer I ended up covering 134.1 miles, at an average a speed of 40 mph, taking 3hrs and 20 minutes, with an overall mpg for the entire trip of 47.1 mpg, eventhough the return trip and detour had a lot more side street travel and stoplights, etc.

Overall I'm really impressed how high the mpg can get by driving near the speed limit and taking a little care when accelerating, and avoiding revving real high in the lower gears.
"

On another similat trip I got 50.3 mpg, and on another I got 49.6 mpg. For the most part the weather has been nice, partly cloudy and maybe in the 80's or so on these trips, though it did start sprinkling abit on the end of one trip.

In general, checking my fuel economy for each tankful of gas, I've been averaging maybe 34 to 43 mpg overall for a mix of city, highway, and suburban traffic.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
31 Posts
I traded in my 09 Escalade for the Fiat. I tell my wife everyday how much I Love my Fiat she is starting to get a complex. It's just awesome to drive. I have 3100 miles of worry free miles. Pending what the Abarth exact specs are I am purchasing one.
lol... "I tell my wife everyday how much I love her... wait, I meant how much I love my Fiat" :D

@Pat: That is very impressive! Good stuff mate. Your mpg's are actually saving the environment more than those pesky Prius drivers, especially when society will have to start figuring out how to recycle those batteries soon enough!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you folks - brings me confidence. I haven't done anything yet - and will heavily consider your helpful comments. I plan on going over to the Studio tomorrow and going for another test drive. I do believe in living in the moment too, as owning an MGB is far from practical -- and I've owned two MGB's, on my second, since 1984! That cars technology is from the 50's - even though it is a 1979 MGB! Toyota's are still good, I've had zero issues and my girlfriend just got an 2011 Corolla LE, great car - very cush and spritely too!

I'm in no rush to get a new car - my Tacoma is rock solid - but I certainly do want better gas mileage. I would never buy a Toyota Yuris, never a Hyundai, never a Ford Fiesta, (cheap interior), never a chevy, never a Honda) I do like to Corolla though - now, now... I do like the Fiat - and I'm not giving up - as I am one patient man and take in all data before I decide - then let my heart and mind decide as one!!!

I still have my MGB and drove it like I stole it today down Hwy 26 as some yahoo in a black SUV wanted to be a wannabe sports car - so they tailed me, for about 1/4 mile until I weaved through traffic quickly and safely with my incredibly handling MGB - and lost them! I could tell they were miffed when I pinned them behind some cars - as I toole away!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've had mine since April, zero issues, one oil change. Buying experience was top-notch and the car has performed exceptionally well since I've had it. I've got 11K+ miles on it.

I drive maybe 125 miles a day in it, more at times on the weekend. I find the car comfortable and it's not tiring to operate. It feels very quick and responsive. It's like a chihuahua - big dog personality in a small dog body.

Gas mileage is outstanding. I reset it at each fill-up and consistently average 43mpg. On one 80-mile stretch, I got 51.5mpg.

I'm not worried about it being a new (to the US) model. It has a good warranty and a dealer network. That's what their for. This isn't the first new model car I've owned, and I didn't have trouble with the other one either (Land Rover Freelander). I must say, I do put less stock in the idea of it having been in Europe for a few years. This car is significantly redesigned compared to its European cousin.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
enough with the "Toyota is great" sentiment. I get it. We own one too, a 2010 Prius. they're good cars but not without issues, as ALL cars are.

if you are serious about buying a FIAT 500, a car thats been on the market in Europe since 2007, then buy one. if not, then don't. the horse is dead....pls stop beating it.

'dan', pls can we move on now???:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Haven't had a Toyota product since 1981. Beautiful new Celica GT fast back. 70,000 miles later. Loved that body style. Traded it in for a new 1995 Honda Prelude. The 500 reminds me a little of my old Prelude. Fun to drive, small. 500 doesn't rev like the Honda. Toyota makes good cars. Just really boring new cars. Too bad.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I bought a CR-V and the 500 within two weeks. My wife got the CR-V.

Fact is - we've driven 7,000 miles between those two. The Fiat has seen 1,000 more miles than the CR-V.

Both cars have been equally reliable.

But the 500 is 1,000 times more fun.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Seriously, how much more info do you need? If they praise their 500, you consider them on "fiat crack" and if they complain about anything you mark it up to another reason why you're not buying one.
No cars are perfect. If you want one, buy it and deal with anything that comes up... could be nothing ever.
If you don't want one, then be happy with your trukk and MGB as you have said you are many many times. You have your reliable car, and you have your fun car. Why are you even asking about the 500?

Oh yeah... 'cus you really want one. You're just trying to talk yourself out of it. :p

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.