Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 500-Blood Orange
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I’ve realized my wobble bolts have been cross threaded, once one broke off while changing to snow tires.
Long story short…Hub replacement needed
Has anyone in southeast Michigan had this done at a shop?
Dealer quoted me 1250 to have it done. And I’m looking for an alternative.
Drilling may not be an option.
Looking for a realistic cost estimate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are comfortable removing the hub, I would take it to a small local shop for repair.
They maybe able to weld up the hole, re-thread or Heli coil it.
Just guessing but less than $100 a hub depending on method used.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are comfortable removing the hub, I would take it to a small local shop for repair.
They maybe able to weld up the hole, re-thread or Heli coil it.
Just guessing but less than $100 a hub depending on method used.
We had that thought too, but not sure how shops feel about drilling it. Possible safety concerns?
I’m willing to try that though. If a shop is willing.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Each tire has it own hub.
Duh. Front has bearing separate from the hub, rear hub is part of the bearing. That makes a difference in replacement process, cost, and all that.

We had that thought too, but not sure how shops feel about drilling it. Possible safety concerns?
I’m willing to try that though. If a shop is willing.
You could drill the hub, there's plenty of metal there. You can probably have it drilled to the right spacing for your wheel, actually. That requires dismantling the front hub assembly anyway. If you go to the dealer, it's not a cheap job (though I don't think it's $1250 job), because it's a bit involved, if rather straightforward. You remove the brake and caliper, unbolt the steering arm, ball joint mount, and strut mount, and the whole hub assembly comes out. Once that's out, you press out the hub. When you do that, guaranteed that the bearing will be damaged, so prepared to replace them as well. Or you can just buy the whole steering knuckle assembly and just swap them out - I haven't looked, but I'm sure that Moog or someone must sell the whole assembly. You'd need alignment afterward.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Why not retap the original hole and use a thread chaser to clean it up.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Why not retap the original hole and use a thread chaser to clean it up.
On something like wheel stud, it's a risky proposal, if you care that sort of things...although it still has other 3 bolts holding the wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On something like wheel stud, it's a risky proposal, if you care that sort of things...although it still has other 3 bolts holding the wheel.
That was my other thought, it has 3 others holding it on lol. Although not a long term solution. And I agree drilling is risky but doable if you can get it dead center.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recently I’ve realized my wobble bolts have been cross threaded, once one broke off while changing to snow tires.
Long story short…Hub replacement needed
Has anyone in southeast Michigan had this done at a shop?
Dealer quoted me 1250 to have it done. And I’m looking for an alternative.
Drilling may not be an option.
Looking for a realistic cost estimate.
A buddy of mine went to his local Oriellys auto parts they loaned him the correct tool to fix it himself no welding needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts