Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
  • It activates the range-reducing A/C compressor, without even lighting the A/C button!
  • It deactivates recirculate, which can also reduce range by heating/cooling outside air instead of pre-conditioned cabin air.
  • It can cause false alarms including ABS, RBS, HSA, ESC, PRND, SRS (airbag), etc.

"Give it the finger" (literally, middle fingers in each opening near the top) & pull perpendicular away from glass just right of the rearview mirror:

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
With a round toothpick parallel to the glass, stick it straight into the black socket to unlock the purple plug (shown removed, ready for cover replacement):

Sorry I don't have a round toothpick handy so I'm not going to plug it in just to show that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ok, I give up. Where is the darn thing? Looked under the hood and under the dash on the drivers side. It's not in the manual. Sorry, get me started.
I just did mine. Here are pics for more context. You can see the sensor and its cover above and to the right of the rearview mirror:

And here it is open and the cable removed:

You can see the unplugged cable in the lower right corner out of focus. As ETS indicated in the initial post the locking hole is directly above the text on the sensor. You need something pointy (I used a pen) to press on the lock giving the cable a good tug to get it to come out.

Hope this helps. I hope it'll clear up some of my error warnings.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HEY JOE!

IF you haven't already unplugged it & IF you want you/us to know what fixed your airbag alert, maybe leave it plugged in so we'll know if the alert was fixed by your 12V disconnect.

·
Registered
2017, 500e
84 Posts
HEY JOE!

IF you haven't already unplugged it & IF you want you/us to know what fixed your airbag alert, maybe leave it plugged in so we'll know if the alert was fixed by your 12V disconnect.
Sorry, tied up with other stuff... Have not unplugged it yet. 12V disconnect did not work. Tomorrow I'm driving it out to the farm for the first time since the temps are up. I may have time in the morning to get to this...

·
Registered
13,510 Posts
There is a humidity sensor, is even in the ICE 500. I think it comes, with the auto climate control systems. Which is standard a fair in the 500e. Optional on ICE cars. On another Fiat forum, a gentleman sensor, went bad. On his Abarth. He got a message on the speedo cluster.

I have satellite radio in my car, that unit doesn’t look like anything like it.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The electric Fiat's easily solved problem is that there's no humidity sensor message even with repeated false-positives turning on the power-robbing A/C compressor, deactivating recirculate, & causing false alarms for ABS, RBS, HSI, & PRND.

I wonder if the same sensor also reduces real-world mpg & power on the gas models. The only ways I know of finding out are to either stop & check if any A/C pipes are cold even when you had it off & the button wasn't lit, or put it in the generally-unhealthy "recirculate" mode & see if that ever shuts itself off.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad it worked! Thank you for reporting back!

You made me start to wonder how many different systems the humidity sensor could affect. Then I realized it's not actually affecting them, just creating false alarms. So it's really "ONLY" affecting the warning system (& A/C compressor & recirculate) .

·
Registered
968 Posts
Glad it worked! Thank you for reporting back!

You made me start to wonder how many different systems the humidity sensor could affect. Then I realized it's not actually affecting them, just creating false alarms. So it's really "ONLY" affecting the warning system (& A/C compressor & recirculate) .
Anything that causes a delay or lag in the "boot up" procedure of the Canbus can cause an airbag error. It seems the airbag logic requires all airbag sensors to respond in a specific amount of time, and if they are too slow in responding, it throws an error. I've run into this trying to use the Metra steering wheel control adapter for the radio on a regular 500. With the ASWC-1 installed (which doesn't even work with any radios I've tried yet) it will randomly throw airbag errors at startup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anything that causes a delay or lag in the "boot up" procedure of the Canbus can cause an airbag error. It seems the airbag logic requires all airbag sensors to respond in a specific amount of time, and if they are too slow in responding, it throws an error. I've run into this trying to use the Metra steering wheel control adapter for the radio on a regular 500. With the ASWC-1 installed (which doesn't even work with any radios I've tried yet) it will randomly throw airbag errors at startup.
Hey, this is good info....just got a 2017 500e and wonder if this is an issue across all model years??

Thanks!

Mark

1 - 20 of 24 Posts