Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I'm in desperate need of help. I own a 2016 500e with about 38k miles on it. driving perfectly.
left it at home for about 2.5 weeks as i left town for a vacation, unplugged as i don't have an indoor place where to park it.
came back, car was completely dead. towed it to the dealership, they replaced the 12 battery but main HV battery wouldn't hold charge. ran all types of diagnostics and result was that HV battery needs to be replaced.
FIAT is denying all requests to replace the battery under warranty as it was our negligence.
now, i understand electric vehicles have different requirements, but how in **** is it normal that a car dies completely after only 2.5 weeks and it costs 18k to make it drivable again?
I'm in so much disbelief it is difficult to think.
any suggestions?

thank you in advance

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,175 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the link and it looks like everything was completed (see below screenshots).
i don't know what to do, dealership says they've tried several times and got denied, my case manager at chrysler customer service says they can't challenge the decision taken by the engineers.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Logo

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
255 Posts
What was the HV battery charge state when you left?
Even if it was only at say 20%, I can't imagine 2.5 weeks being an issue.
I'm wondering if the U69 was actually done (or done correctly). I'm not sure how you would check.

When you say the HV battery wouldn't hold a charge, do you mean that it couldn't be charged or that it self discharged quickly?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,175 Posts
Someone on the other forum fairly recently had their 12V battery die suddenly & after almost immediate replacement without time for the HV to discharge, the car wouldn't run or charge, even after trying every trick in the book. I very strongly doubt that their HV battery coincidentally died at the exact same time as the 12V.

I've run my own 12V dead at least twice, experimentally, & also disconnected & reconnected it many times. So far it hasn't caused any issues. 🤞

I didn't check before U69, but after it, when running the 12V completely dead while parked unplugged, the HV battery did not charge the 12V.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was at 15%.
I will ask dealership about U69, not even sure what it is to be honest.
They told me that the battery would charge but then would discharge very quickly when driving

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,175 Posts
U69 is supposed to prevent the HV from draining itself damagingly low while trying to charge a worn-out 12V that won't take a charge.

I wonder if the "quick discharge" is based on the car's often-inaccurate % gauge. jimmy0000 just reported that his drops from 29% to 20% within 2min, but apparently it's fine above that. Most reports of rapid drops seem to happen below about 30%.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,175 Posts
I also wonder what error codes it shows, if any, on which they're basing their diagnosis of "HV battery failure due to negligence".

Fiat "requires" PIM replacement prior to HV batt warranty, but someone else on the other forum was able to avoid that by demanding they first produce a readout showing a PIM error code.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Doesn't sound like a U69 issue.

I suppose it is possible that if the pack was unbalanced or had a bad cell, starting at 15% for 2.5 weeks could expose an issue. But I don't think sitting at 15% for 2.5 weeks would be the root cause.

When they say it discharges quickly when driving, did they provide more detail? Did they start at 100% charge and they could only go 2 miles before it dropped to zero?
Have you driven the car since it was towed to the dealer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all for the help. heading to dealership now, i haven't driven the car since i brought it there.
i will ask:
1) if u69 procedure was correctly followed
2) more details about the discharging
3) ask about any codes showing up on the computer

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nothing in your description indicates that you did anything wrong. I would not accept blame for the issue if I were you. Might I suggest contacting your state's Attorney General's office about the matter. Make it clear that the car has a 8 year/100K warranty and that the dealer isn't honoring it.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,175 Posts
I would get a $20 bluetooth OBD (NOT wired-to-screen) & run my own HV check.

Tutorial here: Diagnostic Tips for Free AlfaOBD "Demo"

One of the first things I'd check is Max/Min Status to see if there's a big imbalance or a dead cell. 100% is just over 4100mV & 0% is about 3100. Click to enlarge:
Font Number Document Parallel Circle
I'd also compare the State Of Charge ("SOC") to the car's own gauge, preferably at around 30% or less, because the big discrepancies usually don't show when it's anywhere near half-charged. Also compare Max & Min SOC (Ignore 51-52% at top right. It's SOC of my PHONE!):
Font Number Document Font Number Document Parallel Circle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to the dealership today. They said they ran all the diagnostics while communicating with the engineers at the factory .
They also disconnected the HV battery, wiped it from the computer and reconnected it as new battery. Nothing changed.
What happens is the battery charges, but when unplugged and driving it dies completely in a matter of a few miles.
No error codes show up when turning the key.

engineers connected remotely to the car and are saying it has been unplugged for too long and won't cover it, even though warranty clearly states that it won't cover only if unplugged for 30 days or more.

Dealership said they have had several cases like mine and another one currently. In that case, First they said "unplugged too long" but when owner said it was plugged each night, they came back saying the wrong cord was used.

It seems to me they do everything they can to not cover it.

Dealership says only option is to try to have Fiat put in an offer to buy it back

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would get a $20 bluetooth OBD (NOT wired-to-screen) & run my own HV check.

Tutorial here: Diagnostic Tips for Free AlfaOBD "Demo"

One of the first things I'd check is Max/Min Status to see if there's a big imbalance or a dead cell. 100% is just over 4100mV & 0% is about 3100. Click to enlarge:
View attachment 110922
I'd also compare the State Of Charge ("SOC") to the car's own gauge, preferably at around 30% or less, because the big discrepancies usually don't show when it's anywhere near half-charged. Also compare Max & Min SOC (Ignore 51-52% at top right. It's SOC of my PHONE!):
View attachment 110920 View attachment 110921
Thank you, i might give this a try. Car is still at the dealership but I'm sure they will let me get to it

·
Registered
1 Posts
You re now dealing with Chrysler mentality. They do not believe in doing what is necessary to satisfy a customer, they think only of the monetary loss or gain.

Since you followed the rules to the letter, and there is nothing indicating you violated and protocol..
I strongly suggest.....
Small claims court for breach of contract ie warranty. Serve them the papers they'll wake up.
Don't back down.. Don't threaten.. don;t discuss it further with the dealership.. they are not going to break their relationship with the manufacturer over your situation.

The basis of my response 11 years retail auto service to include several years spinning wrenches.. Asst Service MGR of one of the largest Rolls, Bentley, Jag, Aston, Austin, MG etc dealerships. , Service Mgr of a Mazda/Honda dealership for 4 years etc. .. 14 years as a manufacturer's rep ( District manager Mazda Motors of Am Nor Cal, Nevada Utah), Field Service Mgr Mercedes Benz of NA San Francisco Region. .. I quit when Chrysler came in. Natl Training Manager BMW of No Am.. Western USA and Canada. Natl Field Mgmnt Training MGR Volvo Motors of Am. Historicayl Chrysler and any of their affiliates, JEEP, FIAT, M-B all tanked when they got involved.. this is not opinion this is by first hand observation.. Plus I owned one of their trucks, worst vehicle I have ever owner.. Never again.

Sue them and do N O T share this with the dealer... they cannot and will not help you.. And no doubt they would Alert Fiat Chrysler...Do not sue them, they are out of the picture. They are Chrysler Fiats willing idiots.

Sue The manufaturer.. CHeap compared to a battery you should not have to purchase.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,175 Posts
1) They said they ran all the diagnostics
2) when unplugged and driving it dies completely in a matter of a few miles.
3) No error codes show up when turning the key.
4) engineers connected remotely to the car and are saying it has been unplugged for too long and won't cover it, even though warranty clearly states that it won't cover only if unplugged for 30 days or more.
5) Dealership said they have had several cases like mine and another one currently.
6) In that case, First they said "unplugged too long" but when owner said it was plugged each night, they came back saying the wrong cord was used.
1) Whatever they say, I'd ask for a copy of the diagnostics showing any error code(s), & also run my own OBD.

2) If it really "dies completely" they'd have a record of towing it back. If they just went by the car's unreliable % gauge, someone (you?) should compare it to OBD SOC %, preferably well below 30%. Then charge until it self-stops, look at OBD % & Max/Min Status, then drive it & compare after it drops.

3) The error codes you need are from OBD (yours, since it seems like you shouldn't trust them).

4) If the warranty states 30 days you're fine since it was only 2.5 weeks.

5) That ongoing case is likely the one I saw on the other forum.

6) Claiming "wrong cord" doesn't make much sense. By that "logic" every public cord would be "wrong" & I doubt there's anything in the warranty about that. I've used Ford & VW cords on my own 500e, as well as my friend's home JuiceBox & dozens of public cords with no issues except ONE public cord that "infected" my car but was fixed by a 30-second 12V disconnect.

·
Registered
2017 500e, Azzurro Celeste, sunroof, 16” Abarth wheels, humidity sensor nixed, motor cover nixed
35 Posts
3) The error codes you need are from OBD (yours, since it seems like you shouldn't trust them).
^THIS^ They are incompetent, running a scam, or both. Get your car back and take it somewhere else if the above suggestions don’t pan out. What dealer is it? How are their Yelp/Google ratings? BBB rating? I’d wager less than stellar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm located in Texas and seriously considering suing them. only thing is I checked the small claims court's website and it's for monetary compensation only (10,000$ or less); if goal is to have manufacturer to cover the battery replacement, it might not be the right venue?

I will also ask the dealership for a log of everything they've done on the car ; will also buy the obd to run the diagnostics myself.

Dealership is Uptown Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram FIAT in Dallas.

thank you all for all the suggestions so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not dealt with warranty issues with Fiat cars before, but i have with other car companies. In my dealings with those other car compaines if it is a "warranty" issue then you can contact the manufacture directly and bypass the dealer. If it is non-warranty related issues then you have to utilize the dealer or auto shop.

If you haven't you may want to contact Fiat/Chrysler directly, ulimately they will/should be paying for the repairs not the dealer. I hope that helps

1 - 20 of 63 Posts