Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Get all the info from the dealer and then like Jeff recommended, leave them out of it. Then contact Fiat directly and present them with the information. If they refuse to honor the warranty or provide some other solution that is acceptable to you, then I think legal action is your only option. Agreed that small claims court is probably not the right venue.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
I'm still hoping it's just something like the typical low-reading % gauge that's maybe even worse than what we usually see. It might even be reading HIGH at the top end, stopping charge way before it's really full, & then dropping to it's true level shortly after starting to drive.

I wonder how much they'd charge to re-flash the latest software, just in case it wasn't done quite right the last time, &/or it got messed up by the 12V dying/replacement.

I just remembered that the dealer should be on your side, since they'd get paid by Fiat to do the warranty work, & if they try to charge you $18k to fix it they'll get nothing because at that point it would make more sense to sell it for parts.

Fiat told the dealership what to do, then told them it needs HV battery replacement. That is still under warranty. For Fiat to claim "negligence" they should have to tell you what they're basing that on, & so far I see nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just remembered that the dealer should be on your side, since they'd get paid by Fiat to do the warranty work, & if they try to charge you $18k to fix it they'll get nothing because at that point it would make more sense to sell it for parts.

Fiat told the dealership what to do, then told them it needs HV battery replacement. That is still under warranty. For Fiat to claim "negligence" they should have to tell you what they're basing that on, & so far I see nothing.
yes the dealership told me the same thing. they get paid a lot of money for changing the battery under warranty so they would be happy to do it and they requested multiple times for the approval.
The engineers said the card was unplugged for too long so it was my negligence and won't cover it; when dealership said I only left it unplugged for 2.5 weeks, they did not provide any futher explanation.

On monday I had escalated the case with Fiat chrysler but it got denied again. I was hoping they would at least offer to buy the car back but they didn't.

I already filed a complaint with the attorney general but there's not much they can do.
Dealership provided this link (https://www.ncdsusa.org/dispute-resolution-services/automotive-warranty-disputes.html). it's a third party agency that settles disputes of this kind. i will file a claim on there hoping it will force Fiat to replace the battery.
In the meantime I'll get the OBD scanner to run the tests that @Electric Tire Shredder suggested.
I will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
I don't see how the HV pack could have been damaged, other than Keisling's remote possibility of a bad cell*, which would show clearly once you get AlfaOBD connected:
  • Their records** show U69 complete, which keeps the HV fully disconnected while parked unplugged, which means no drain even though the starter battery died.
  • Samsung SDI specs show maximum self-discharge of 1% in 2.5 weeks, so the HV would have only dropped to 14%, which doesn't cause any damage. I wonder if they recorded the HV SOC when they first got the car. Anything over 0% at that time would clearly show no damage was done to the HV battery.
So if the only component that physically failed was the 12V starter battery, & it was replaced but there's still a problem, it seems like software.

* Post #10 on Pg 1 of this thrad
** Post #3

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Your Issue sounds very much like mine. I have 2015 Fiat 500e my car that was garaged while I was away as well, but the GFCI receptacle the charger was plugged into kick off interrupting power for the charger, I came back and the 12V and HV battery were dead.

I was able to recharge the 12V battery with a trickle charger, but after having a full charge and attaching it to the system the car went into failure mode on the display and it's been at the Fiat dealer for since the 8/20/2021 and dealership has no answers and either does Fiat. How long did it take your dealer to respond regarding HV battery issue?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Electric Shredder suggested an aftermarket charger with monitoring, I contacted GoPlug and their comment was: "Electric vehicles should survive a six month sleep better than gasoline vehicles. In principle. But the 500 is an early design, and might have as one weakness in this area"

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
This seems like a software issue:

Now that I found Samsung SDI specs of only 3.3% self-discharge in 200 days, even if royceda only had 7% SOC when he left it unattended for nearly a year AND if the GFCI tripped RIGHT after he left, it should not have caused any damage to the HV battery.

The commonality between both of these failure cases AND one currently on the other forum is that the 12V starter battery died while parked unplugged. So if the only component that physically failed was the 12V starter battery, & it was replaced but there's still a problem, it seems like "just" a software issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all!
I'm in desperate need of help. I own a 2016 500e with about 38k miles on it. driving perfectly.
left it at home for about 2.5 weeks as i left town for a vacation, unplugged as i don't have an indoor place where to park it.
came back, car was completely dead. towed it to the dealership, they replaced the 12 battery but main HV battery wouldn't hold charge. ran all types of diagnostics and result was that HV battery needs to be replaced.
FIAT is denying all requests to replace the battery under warranty as it was our negligence.
now, i understand electric vehicles have different requirements, but how in **** is it normal that a car dies completely after only 2.5 weeks and it costs 18k to make it drivable again?
I'm in so much disbelief it is difficult to think.
any suggestions?

thank you in advance

Marcello. You should obtain an attorney to help you. I believe FCA is wrong on this issue. Your car HV battery is defective if it will not hold a charge and leaving a car for 2-3 weeks is not negligence, it is normal. Once you have a attorney contact them, you will get your car repaired plus attorney fees (at a minimum).

·
Registered
254 Posts
This seems like a software issue:

Now that I found Samsung SDI specs of only 3.3% self-discharge in 200 days, even if royceda only had 7% SOC when he left it unattended for nearly a year AND if the GFCI tripped RIGHT after he left, it should not have caused any damage to the HV battery.

The commonality between both of these failure cases AND one currently on the other forum is that the 12V starter battery died while parked unplugged. So if the only component that physically failed was the 12V starter battery, & it was replaced but there's still a problem, it seems like "just" a software issue.
I seem to recall royceda's car did not have the U69 fix done (please correct me if I'm mistaken). royceda's car won't charge at all. This is the classic case where the HV battery kills itself by trying to charge the 12 volt battery. The BMS is preventing the car from charging due to the HV battery being in a state of deep discharge. It was really bad luck that the GFCI tripped. . .

Marcello's case is a bit of a mystery. It still charges but only can be driven a few miles on presumably a full charge. It is behaving like there is a bad cell, but I would expect a bunch of warning messages to pop up. Hopefully the Alpha OBD data will provide some insight. It could be a software issue as ETS has suggested, but this is the first case of a software issue causing this type of behavior that I have heard of. Even if it is a calibration issue, the car should keep driving even when the dash says 0%. Unless the dealer just stopped driving when the dash said 0? Even then though, I've never heard of the calibration being that far off.

Since Fiat has diagnosed it as an HV battery failure, they should be honoring their warranty. Blaming the user when the user is not at fault is just bad business.

@Marcello when you charge the car, how long does it take to go from 0% to 100% - does it seem like it is charging normally?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
The Official FCAs recall site for the U69 Campaign shows completed September 13, 2018, I did not take possession of the car till October 17, 2018 so I do not have those records. The U69 link shows only this! error

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all!
I'm in desperate need of help. I own a 2016 500e with about 38k miles on it. driving perfectly.
left it at home for about 2.5 weeks as i left town for a vacation, unplugged as i don't have an indoor place where to park it.
came back, car was completely dead. towed it to the dealership, they replaced the 12 battery but main HV battery wouldn't hold charge. ran all types of diagnostics and result was that HV battery needs to be replaced.
FIAT is denying all requests to replace the battery under warranty as it was our negligence.
now, i understand electric vehicles have different requirements, but how in **** is it normal that a car dies completely after only 2.5 weeks and it costs 18k to make it drivable again?
I'm in so much disbelief it is difficult to think.
any suggestions?

thank you in advance
I am getting rid of my 2016 Fiat. 30,000 miles and the battery shorted out the radio. I don't trust anything about this car. I guess that's why they call it Fix It Again
Tony.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,158 Posts
Thanks royceda! The U69 campaign date is just when it was issued, not when it was done, but all that matters is it was completed before it could cause any issues.

So in both cases the HV would have been fully disconnected, & not drained at all even though the 12V died. So less than 7% self-discharge in 1 year.

The other forum's "Replaced 12v now car wont start" did NOT have U69 done, but the 12v was apparently replaced soon after it died, with too little time to drain the fully-charged HV showing 98% AFTER 12v replacement.

In all 3 cases it seems the 12v died & was replaced before the HV was drained too low, so it seems very unlikely that the HV was actually damaged*, but if Fiat says it is, they need to replace it under warranty.

*OBD should tell us.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took mine to the dealer in Arlington TX for an A/C issue (leaky compressor). One of the service people told me that Fiat really doesn't want to honor their battery warranties on these cars. He said it takes four to six months of bitching at Fiat before they will finally do something. He showed me several cars on the lot that they had bought back, most for much more than the customers paid for their cars. Clearly that is the cheaper way out for Fiat. He also said, that they had replaced several batteries on cars whose owners refused several buy back offers as they wanted their cars fixed. I don't know but, perhaps you'd have better luck with that dealer as they've successfully gotten Fiat to honor their warranties for their customers in the past.
Saying you did something wrong sounds like nonsense. I would ask what evidence they had that you didn't care for you car according to the owners manual. Good luck man.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Fiat 500e
7 Posts
I am getting rid of my 2016 Fiat. 30,000 miles and the battery shorted out the radio. I don't trust anything about this car. I guess that's why they call it Fix It Again
Tony.
I'm sorry, but this sounds like a misunderstanding of how the car works. The radio died. Why do you believe that the battery (which battery?) had anything to do with the radio failing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
How long did it take your dealer to respond regarding HV battery issue?
I'm sorry you're going through the same nightmare. I would say it too them about 5 days to start saying they were having issues with the HV battery, a week later they said they were working with FIAT to get the battery replaced under warranty, and two weeks later I got the bad news

21 - 40 of 60 Posts