Fiat 500 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,227 Posts
Ya, that's GREAT!

You shouldn't need a $500 smart CHARGER, just a $25 smart PLUG, to monitor power use to make sure it's still taking power periodically.

You should use a voltage spike protector anyway, so you could plug that into the wall & plug the OEM cord AND something like a nightlight into that, so you could check for power flow even when the car isn't charging, between it's charging cycles.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,227 Posts
I haven't researched it fully, but two of the first three that pop up on an Amazon search of "smart plug with energy monitoring" look good: This one (click here) at $20 for TWO & 15A capacity (OEM cord is only 12A), or this 15A one (click here) at $17 for 2. The other one of the first three is only 10A which of course wouldn't work for the 12A unit. I didn't bother analyzing which of the many other options I might chose for myself.

What the smart plug does is allow you to check periodically if the GFCI has tripped, & take appropriate action. No matter how smart your charger, the only way to eliminate the chance of a GFCI tripping is to eliminate the GFCI from the setup.

It might or might not be safe to switch out the GFCI outlet for a breaker-less one. If you find out it's not safe there, you could have an outlet installed in a location where it is safe, just like you'd have to do for a smart charger, only without having to buy the latter (since you can monitor the OEM unit with just a $20 smart plug).

Am I explaining it well enough yet?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,227 Posts
3) Do the U69 recall ("campaign"). Maybe that should be the #1 item.

2) The 12V sometimes dies with NO warning, sometimes in under 2 years, & sometimes it lasts over 5 years. You could just replace it every 2 years, but the only way to know if it's really going dead is by testing.

If you can find somewhere like a parts store that does free testing you could take it there periodically.

Otherwise, resting terminal voltage is a pretty good indication. A portable voltage gauge is fine, but I'm too lazy to dig one out every time, so I added this $22 one from BatteryTender.com shown at 12.2v after parking unplugged for several days. 11.7 is the absolute bare minimum for reliable starting so replace it when it starts to get close to that. Click to enlarge:
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle Motor vehicle

& here's one that LBC 500 installed:
Motor vehicle Audio equipment Gas Cable Gadget

Best to check after parking unplugged overnight, & then 5 minutes for it to go back to sleep after opening/closing the door to pop the hood.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Battery was delayed in shipping, but it is now a at dealership awaiting installation, I'm excited to have the 500e back, but weary of future incidents and will having a fresh HV battery. Will it be like allow the car to operate as if it were a new car with a fresh battery and will programing it to recharge at specified lengths of time add to it's life.

Having a electric Fiat is great, like when I had my first Fiat an 600 from Rich Motors in Glendale, CA. who tweaked it to Abarth specs, since he was the Abarth God in California. Not having my 500e for over two plus months is bad and Fiat/Chrysler needs to support all Fiats electric and gas!

I'll continue on this forum as it's the best link to other Fiat enthusiast and those who wish to share the joy and woes with others who are Fiat fans!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,227 Posts
I wonder why you're "weary of future incidents", since you now know how to prevent the incident you experienced.

Someone here looked up the part number of a warranty replacement pack & discovered they're not "fresh", but rather rebuilt by combining the adequate cells taken from other packs that were returned under warranty.

As with any new or used battery or engine, the better care you take of it the more time it adds to its life. That said, it seems like leaving it topped off for over half its existence doesn't reduce the life very much: 40-mile US average daily drive, fully recharged by 8pm on L2, sitting 12 hours every night until 8am, & sometimes sitting all weekend. All that & yet it's tough-to-impossible to find a sufficiently-detailed report* of more than 2.3% range loss per 10,000 miles.

*Every report I've seen claiming loss of any significance is missing details like temperature, speed, or % gauge calibration (it can show zero when there's really still 20% left).

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I inquired at the Fiat dealer when I picked up my 500e today, about the HV replacement battery. It contains no recyced HV battery compnents.

They did prior to switching to Bosch HV replacement battery packs, a new HV battery is $3500.00 unless covered by warratny, luckly mine was covered.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I inquired at the Fiat dealer when I picked up my 500e today, about the HV replacement battery. It contains no recyced HV battery compnents.

They did prior to switching to Bosch HV replacement battery packs, a new HV battery is $3500.00 unless covered by warratny, luckly mine was covered.
3,500 or 35,000?
$3,500 actually doesn't sound that bad for a new pack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
@royceda that's awesome man, i'm glad you had your fiat back with the new battery

unfortunately my case with NCDS was denied. the panel said I didn't prove there is a manufacturer's defect... battery is dead after only 2.5 weeks of not driving it so I'm not sure what I had to provide beside that as proof.

I will try to get a second opinion from the dealership in Arlington, TX that was mentioned in a post earlier.
what's the best way to just sell the car for parts? at this point i'm not sure i want to have anything to do with it anymore.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your case was denied. My dealership did more than I expected and even though I heard little from the dealer during the process, they went to the wire to get me a battery.

I wish the best of luck with the dealership in Arlington, TX!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,227 Posts
...battery is dead after only 2.5 weeks of not driving it so I'm not sure what I had to provide beside that as proof.

I will try to get a second opinion from the dealership in Arlington, TX that was mentioned in a post earlier.
Did you check AlfaOBD for error codes, & at low charge compare OBD SOC % to the car's gauge, & check the Max/Min Status voltages? Then did you time how long it takes to fully charge, & check SOC% & Max/Min again? *

As noted earlier in this thread, 2.5 weeks parked is irrelevant. I have subsequently measured my own % loss parked unplugged & it seems to be ~3%/week, so since it started at ~16%, 2.5 weeks later it should still be over 8%, preventing any serious damage (just a tiny bit of extra aging compared to keeping it above 20%).

*I suggested those about a month ago in post 45 on this thread's page 3.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts