Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy in Burien WA called "CLH", has posted on the other forum that he got his 6-YEAR OLD HV battery warrantied WITHOUT the usually-required PIM replacement.

The thread is called "I'm ready or scrap this POS" (yes, looks like typo that should be "to").

In EVERY report I'd seen before, Fiat required PIM replacement before they'd warranty the HV pack. That's okay I guess, when the car's full 4-year warranty covers it, but after that they've been requiring the owner to pay $7,000 to $8,000 to replace the PIM, even when there's absolutely no evidence at all that anything is wrong with it.

This new case sets a precedent that others might be able to use, so I have asked CLH how he did it & I'll post here if I see a reply.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HUGE thanks to CLH, who replied at 6:17 today (my bold):

"To be brutally honest, I don't really know what it was that made them relent.

What I can say is that in the conversations with both the dealer and with Fiat CC [Customer Care], I was consistently adamant that if the PIM truly did have a fault they should be able to provide me with copies of the diagnostic reports that indicated that. At no time was I ever provided with diagnostic info indicating that the PIM needed to be replaced.

What made me most suspicious about the whole thing was that the initial diagnostics from the dealer indicated a failed HVB, and only a failed HVB [High Voltage Battery, aka propulsion or drive battery]. When they notified me of that, they said they would be contacting Star to get authorization for a warranty replacement. It was well after that (after the dealer stated "the HVB is in process of being ordered") that the dealer told us that Fiat asked them to run more diags, and after that Fiat told them that the PIM was faulty (important to note is that FIAT said the PIM was faulty, not the dealer). When I asked the dealer to send me the diagnostic details, what they provided made no mention of detecting a faulty PIM. In fact, all the diagnostic tests referenced in the notes indicated positive results. By this time Fiat CC had closed the first case I had opened because they had been told by the dealer that the HVB was being ordered.

When I opened the second FCC case, I was explicit with them that my intent was to get the HVB replaced under warranty, and again, that if the PIM really was faulty I'd need to get the detailed diagnostics to prove it. I specifically told them that I would not authorize an estimated $7k repair without proof that it was needed. I told them that if they couldn't prove that the PIM had a fault, then they should just replace the HVB and leave it disconnected and I would tow the car home. (this last point was important because they vaguely stated that if the PIM is faulty it could cause the HVB to fail again if the PIM wasn't replaced - I don't believe that to be a true statement)

So long story short, I held my ground on them needing to perform the repair of the warrantied components. I told them that if the PIM was proven to be faulty, I would pursue repair of that independently.

As it turned out, they ignored my request to not connect the replacement battery. The dealer installed it, plugged everything in, did a short road test, and called me to come get it.

We've driven the car at least 3-5 miles every day since Saturday (on top of the 15mi trip home), and so far everything is operating normally."

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow-up post last night from CLH:

"If I had to guess, I would say that standing your ground on demanding proof that the PIM is faulty is likely the key. I kept telling them, if it’s really faulty then they simply just need to show me the diags to prove it. I also kept turning it around on them, asking “if you were in my shoes would you agree to a $7k repair just because someone said so, or would you want to see something definitive before writing the check?”

If it had been something small, like a hundred bucks or so it would be one thing. But $7k? I’m not trusting anyone that much without the proof to back it up."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm actually going through this right now. I have texts with the dealer saying the battery is dead and chrysler is trying to decide whether or not to replace it since it's so expensive and then after three weeks, the problem is my PIM. After reading this post, I tried asking both the dealer and customer care for diagnostics and they both said only Star had that. I asked to talk to Star and they said no one can talk to them. I asked them to email Star asking for the diagnostics and they said they can't do that. They gave me a number for corporate to elevate the issue and I ended up back with customer care!

What a joke.

Any suggestions or contacts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The burden of proof is on them. Whether or not it's expensive, or whether or not Star will communicate with them is their problem, not yours. THEY need to show you a "bad PIM" diagnostic or there's absolutely no way they can reasonably expect you to pay for a new PIM.

·
Registered
2017 500e, Azzurro Celeste, sunroof, 16” Abarth wheels, humidity sensor nixed, motor cover nixed
38 Posts
If you are in California, the state may intervene on your behalf. Try calling the number on this webpage to file a complaint:
California Vehicle and Emissions Warranty Periods | California Air Resources Board
If you’re in a different state, see what resources are available that might help there. I’m pretty sure this runaround they are trying to pull with the PIM replacement is in violation of both federal and many state warranty laws. If you can’t get help from your state authorities, I would look for an attorney specializing in consumer protection law. Don’t give up. Fight and make them do what’s right.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the other forum "map" posted: "I wonder if your district Congressman would be interested in helping. It's sounding more and more like a way to weasel out of known problems. A person in CA might have better rights, since more parts are covered under EV warranties."

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If all else failed, personally I'd look into shipping my car to Burien Wa for them to fix it.

If nothing else, that gives you leverage over a local dealer trying to charge you $7k or more, in ADDITION to what Stellantis pays them to do the warranty work of removing & replacing the battery that Stellantis gives them for free. "Just honor the warranty, or I'll ship it to Burien & they'll get paid to do it."

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Additional follow-up by CLH:

"Unfortunately I don't have much greater words of wisdom or magic beyond what I've already shared. Assuming that the dealership is saying as well that the PIM needs replacing, they should hold firm at demanding diagnostic proof for that expensive of a repair.

One route I considered but ended up not needing was contacting the state AG's office. The downside of that is that state AGs only have jurisdiction within their state, so could only truly help with the dealer. That said, if FIAT/Star caught wind that one or more state AGs were nosing around they might back off."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts