Fiat 500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really cannot stand having ESP come in and cut me off all the time! Its really making start to hate this car!

I owned a Integra GSR then a MR2 Turbo non of those cars had hard wired in driving aids. IF this is a drivers car then why wont it let me drive it? I take a off ramp just a little to fast ESP kicks on even when ive pushed the button to turn off traction control.

In the snow the traction is so bad that it bogs the car down to a stand still, its really just annoying! My Integra GSR got me around just fine in the snow with 5inchs at a decent speed. Now this thing just crawls all over the place and the ESP kicks on all the time.

Ive seen videos of the Abarth getting sideways with lift off over steer, yet all my car does is kick on ESP and slow me down and cut power.

If anyone has a fix for this please let me know aside from pulling on the plugs on the wheel sensor and shutting down the abs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know some of the dodge guys with the SRT8s will wiring in a switch that will shut down the ABS/Traction/ESP and disable everything.

The challanger/charger guys have gotten very annoyed with not being able to drift/do track days and this is there fix for it.

Is there anyway to program it off with out having to wiring in a switch?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ive seen videos of the Abarth getting sideways with lift off over steer, yet all my car does is kick on ESP and slow me down and cut power.
I don't know how to break this to you, and they probably should have told you at the dealership... you don't have an Abarth. The 500 Abarth, with more horsepower and a different traction control system, can do things your car - I'm going to guess a Pop with automatic trans and no mods - can't do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When driving hard it starts to come on which is very annoying.

500 sport 5speed.

I have over looked the numb throttle response for heal toe down shifts. I just really cant get past the esp and it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My magnum can turn ESP 100% off by holding key to start position for a few seconds while moving slowley, no the starter dosent engage. I haven't tried this with the 500 yet as the dealer is far away if the system decides not to come back to life.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
the question is, who buys a 500 to seriously use it as a track car? sounds like you need to fork the cash over to buy an abarth

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the dodge trick with the key. You hold the key forward while driving and it will disable it 100%.

I just do not like driving aids thats all, its for bad drivers/women.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I know the dodge trick with the key. You hold the key forward while driving and it will disable it 100%.

It's not for bad drivers, it's for all drivers. It's also a federal requirement, so get use to it

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Or mount and switch and find away to disable it.

So I will not get used to it thats something a fascist would want. I disabled the ABS on two of my cars already and did not die:) I also just do not like the idea of it being on all the time.

No im not a drive "god" but I like my car not to tell me what to do.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You know what you never hear? You never hear really smart, talented drivers saying "How do you turn off the driving safety systems?" for driving on the street.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My BMW 330ci had the option to turn off the traction control. Last year I didn't have winter tires so it was mandatory to turn it off or I went nowhere.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was just out and about for the first time after an OK snowfall here in CT, and I had zero issues with the traction control. While I had to "disable" it when powering out of being stopped in deeper snow pockets and when heading up inclines without a lot of inertia, the car tore over the bad stuff just fine on its snow tires. The only thing I did not like was its tendency to follow the tire depressions of other vehicles, but given its light weight and the tiny snow tires this is hardly surprising.

I'm glad the forum auto-resizes because the above pic isn't exactly the smallest.

I'm exceedingly happy with today's snow performance since I was worried that it might just be too light to cut through the heavier snow and instead just plow over it with no grip, but the snow tires do a great job of digging in when needed.

I did get a laugh out of the traction control light actively flashing underneath the light announcing it as disabled, but I couldn't quite figure out the threshold that kicks it on. Sometimes it seemed completely random, and then it would start predictably cutting in when I'd be moving pretty well and attempt to do something stupid. While I, too, would prefer the system be truly disabled at will, given today's acceptable poor weather competence I can easily live with things as they are.

I have a Jeep for days like today, but it's good to know the Fiat is an option if I get caught out and about in this stuff.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I do know what you're saying. When I have traction control switched off in my Volvo, I can hold a nice controlled e-brake slide for as long as I want (given there's enough room). In a large empty parking lot after a big snow fall, it's a lot of fun. The 500 can't do that. It seems that even with the traction control switched off, the moment the car goes sideways it applies the brakes and kills the fun. You can still do a quick 180 degree spin if you have enough snow/speed, but you can't hold a decent slide. I've come to terms with it. It's not a big deal for me.

On the smart fortwo (depending on the weather of course), I pull a fuse under the steering column which disables the ABS, Traction control and any other electronic nanny. It's a blast getting those little RWD cars sideways, and just as much fun doing "cheerios" in a parking lot. One thing I can say about driving a short wheel base RWD car in the snow with everything switched off, it teaches you to be gentile with the throttle. The back end can easily kick out on you, especially if you're in full automatic and the car suddenly decides to downshift.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I do know what you're saying. When I have traction control switched off in my Volvo, I can hold a nice controlled e-brake slide for as long as I want (given there's enough room). In a large empty parking lot after a big snow fall, it's a lot of fun. The 500 can't do that. It seems that even with the traction control switched off, the moment the car goes sideways it applies the brakes and kills the fun. You can still do a quick 180 degree spin if you have enough snow/speed, but you can't hold a decent slide. I've come to terms with it. It's not a big deal for me. On the smart fortwo (depending on the weather of course), I pull a fuse under the steering column which disables the ABS, Traction control and any other electronic nanny. It's a blast getting those little RWD cars sideways, and just as much fun doing "cheerios" in a parking lot. One thing I can say about driving a short wheel base RWD car in the snow with everything switched off, it teaches you to be gentile with the throttle. The back end can easily kick out on you, especially if you're in full automatic and the car suddenly decides to downshift.
2002 5spd Miata....what a blast of a car to "play with". ;)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Pardon my bluntness, but it sounds to me like you just like to HOT DOG.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Joey, I must ask, and please, I don't mean this to sound judgemental, but did you do any research on this car before you bought it?

It plainly states in the owner's manual that the ESC can't be completely turned off. The owner's manual was available online (through a kind soul on this forum) when I was researching buying one about this time last year.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.