Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this happened to you?

Small cars around here are not exactly rare, but I hadn't driven one so small... well, ever. I used to drive compact cars...

Anyway, what I've noticed is that people will simply not let you merge on lanes, or anywhere else, for that matter. They'll see the car, figure out (I suppose) "That's small, why should I let him in?" and practically try to ram the little car out of the way. It happens to me every day. I have to be pretty defensive about things - even if I have space to merge, I need to do it quick - otherwise I can't do it.

My wife told me the exact same thing. She drives a CR-V, and although she loves my car, she says people are a**holes when they see such a small car.

I sit that way in the States?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well not having a Fiat 500 just yet, I can imagine it is a bit like that for sure. I had a Smart car back here in 2005, the first year they were available in Canada and it was pretty bad, not just for driving but to the point were I was getting obscenities and rude comments yelled at me at lights or the gas station. People fear what they do not understand and is different, but just be cautious and defensive and I think driving a small car for a number of years made me a much better driver. Just as riding a motorcycle makes you really watch and anticipate other drivers you do that as well in a small car and with less power you really learn to pick your spots and select your moves carefully.

At least that has been my experience.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Maybe that's because you drive yours like a miniature poodle, I drive mine like a Barking mad Chihuahua, it's usually harmless but unfortunately still don't wanna get close cuz you might get bitten.
Drop the balls drive as if it was a Humvee and people will back the F*** up ;-)

Sent from my Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes this happens to me all the time. Onetimee SUV driver attempts to ram his way into my lane and spun my passenger mirror at 45mph. When we came to the red light up the road he jumped out of his car yelling @ me... I stepped out... Once he actually saw me he shut up and raced back to his car lol. Don't mess with the car just because it is small. Like a box of chocolates... You never know what you are going to get. I don't play.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I actually haven't experienced this. The only disrespect I've had has been a few derogatory comments here and there, either telling me the car isn't really a car, or questioning my sexual orientation for driving it.

Other than that, I've had no problems on the road.

·
Registered
614 Posts
This is a clear case of "my car is bigger than yours" syndrome.

Some morons think that since they're a bigger ride than you are that you need to watch out for them and get out of their way.
This goes for all cars, not just the 500.

I see it everyday. I think half the people out there couldn't tell you the first thing about right of way.

·
Registered
453 Posts
As I tell my son (16), expect everyone else to be an a$$hole and a moron all at the same time. Clearly, that is even more true in a smaller car.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Try driving a smart car too. See if you get any respect, on the highway. I gotten use to this. Just give the bigger car, it room. Nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Freeways will be fun... just get in behind the big car driven by the a-hole, then blast past them in the next lane over. :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
And all this time I thought it was just smug Prius drivers being smug and not letting me merge into lanes, which happens a lot in any car I'm in.

I have a very short commute to work and I rarely have to go onto the highway but when I do most people smile at the car and give me lots of space. They probably think they're gonna crush me. What nobody seems to expect is that this car can pick up and go pretty fast, I love making them look small in my rearview after they underestimate the car :D (especially Prius drivers)

·
Registered
614 Posts
and all this time i thought it was just smug prius drivers being smug and not letting me merge into lanes, which happens a lot in any car i'm in.

I have a very short commute to work and i rarely have to go onto the highway but when i do most people smile at the car and give me lots of space. They probably think they're gonna crush me. What nobody seems to expect is that this car can pick up and go pretty fast, i love making them look small in my rearview after they underestimate the car :d (especially prius drivers)
lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
i think the issue is people are used to small car drivers just poking along at 60mph.. u need to show some lane authority and pull into the lane, dont expect people to slow to let u in. i have not have any problems, i spend my time in the fast lane...

·
Registered
614 Posts
But it's also when you're in residential and neighborhood traffic, no matter who has right of way and is supposed to pull behind parked vehicles, other drivers will invariably focus on size difference and ram their SUV's right on thru.

If I'm in my Element it's not that bad, but my wife's CRZ's size invites others to take advantage and bully their way thru. Half the time a cell phone is in their hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe that's because you drive yours like a miniature poodle, I drive mine like a Barking mad Chihuahua, it's usually harmless but unfortunately still don't wanna get close cuz you might get bitten.
Drop the balls drive as if it was a Humvee and people will back the F*** up ;-)

I agree. My girlfriend and i have only had our sport for about 2.5 weeks and we have had plenty of people try to muscle us out of the way but we just stop on gas and cram them out :D. ive been driving smaller cars or modified one that have been lowered alot and have grow acustomed to messing the 3500 dully's. I get great enjoyment out of getting in to traffic when they try to keep me from doing so.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I agree. My girlfriend and i have only had our sport for about 2.5 weeks and we have had plenty of people try to muscle us out of the way but we just stop on gas and cram them out :D. ive been driving smaller cars or modified one that have been lowered alot and have grow acustomed to messing the 3500 dully's. I get great enjoyment out of getting in to traffic when they try to keep me from doing so.
I know, love it. Specially when they start to drift toward you to scare you, I just start getting closer to them as well until they back off. People behind me probably think I'm nuts haha.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I probably drive about 200km a day city/highway in a Smart Fortwo for work, and drive my 500 for fun. Perhaps you just have to tweak your driving style slightly. I don't really notice people bullying the smaller cars I drive. Perhaps it's just the way people are around here. If I see an opening and want to merge, I merge, safely, assertively.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Here's a driver psychology question I just thought up:

1. When merging or changing lanes, I use my turn signal to:

a. Indicate that I would like to move to the next lane
b. Indicate that I AM MOVING to the next lane
c. What's a turn signal?

Ryan

·
Registered
453 Posts
yeah... that's easy to answer.
a: for me.
b and c: for everyone else in this area, apparently.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts