Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I am sure it will go and handle like stink on sh*t but man what blind spots!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've driven just about every configuration on the road. If the car has proper mirrors, which this car does, then there shouldn't be blind spot is adjusted correctly

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've driven just about every configuration on the road. If the car has proper mirrors, which this car does, then there shouldn't be blind spot is adjusted correctly
Fair enough. If this car does come to the states and if you do get it, let me know how it it is backing out of a parking space. The problem isn't so much in the CR-Z when your driving or any car with large "B"/ "C" pillars- it is when you are backing up. You have to stick half the car out in the parking lot before you can look out the side glass for cars/ people/ kids/ grocery carts etc. Mirrors only look back- not side to side. I'm just saying.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am sure it will go and handle like stink on sh*t but man what blind spots!
Are you trying to convince us that the current 500's rear portholes give you a view from the drivers seat....really....cause all I see in the B pillar?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Are you trying to convince us that the current 500's rear portholes give you a view from the drivers seat....really....cause all I see in the B pillar?
Certainly more than if their is a piece of solid metal in place and certainly more than what I am used to. I have test driven the FIAT and compared to what I drive, the right side "portal" is like a bay window. Yes the left side is less than desired but then again at least FIAT addressed this with an angled mirror. Why make a bad situation worse, and according to Mr. Jaffa, "If the car has proper mirrors, which this car does, then there shouldn't be blind spot is adjusted correctly", their is no blind spot. I am just going off of what he said.
You need to read EVERYTHING I posted in context my last couple of posts............ really.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Haven't any of you guys ever driven a van with no windows except the doors?
Yes I did for ten years when I was a contractor. It can be just as nerve racking but at least with a van they are equipped with mirrors big enough to fit a convex mirror in a corner or come equipped with expandable towing mirrors plus you are in a much bigger, easier to see, more intimidating vehicle. Plus you sit higher so you can, at least most of the time, look over your left shoulder or stick your head out the window when backing out and see through other car windows or even over them. I still didn't like backing out my van because on the right you are totally blind. When you are in a small car, as I am sure you know, and you start to back out people don't see you or just don't care and continue on; same thing when you change lanes. With a van at least they move or use more caution because they know this will leave a mark.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In Florida People don't care period. Has nothing to do with size of the car. I've never had an issue backing anything up. From my Fiat to a large dump truck, and everything in between. The 500's mirror are more than adequate.

Even driving my 74 Corvette isn't an issue and that's just a giant blind spot

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Haven't any of you guys ever driven a van with no windows except the doors?
when i was working my way through law school, i drove a panel truck for a company that set up mobile homes.

she was called old blue...a beat up 30 yr old blue cube truck with no mirror on the passenger side and a cracked mirror for me that wouldnt adjust. thank goodness i never hurt anyone.

id consider any car with a back window and two mirrors workable as long as the driver is mindful enough.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
when i was working my way through law school, i drove a panel truck for a company that set up mobile homes.

she was called old blue...a beat up 30 yr old blue cube truck with no mirror on the passenger side and a cracked mirror for me that wouldnt adjust. thank goodness i never hurt anyone.

id consider any car with a back window and two mirrors workable as long as the driver is mindful enough.
Exactly. It's all about the driver

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
In Florida People don't care period. Has nothing to do with size of the car. I've never had an issue backing anything up. From my Fiat to a large dump truck, and everything in between. The 500's mirror are more than adequate.

Even driving my 74 Corvette isn't an issue and that's just a giant blind spot
Exactly. It's all about the driver
That's fine and good to but in California they are either to stupid, impatient or don't care- mostly stupid mixed with impatience. I have had nearly the rear end taken off the back of my on a number of occasions using mirrors and looking around. Here they don't stop if you are pulling out or even bother to slow down- your lucky if you get honked at as they speed down the isles at normal roadway speeds. You all so have those who will engage in a Mexican stand off it you are backing out at the same time.

It is much more than the driver and it isn't all about you. Everyone considers themselves to be a good driver and they can handle it. If that is the case then why is there such a thing as car wrecks? If everybody drove as good as they think they are there would never be any.

I think it is a great looking car and with AWD I am sure it will handle incredibly and whether you are Mr. perfect on driving or not doesn't mean the other driver is and being able to see them sooner will give you more time to react whether in a parking lot or on the road. Adding metal to the sides will limit your vision and mirrors, although great, will never be as great as being able to look with your own two eyes. Auto engineers and manufactures recognize this that is why blind spot protection is being added to cars now and back sensors have been in use now for some time.

My whole point is not your driving or other peoples driving it is about decreasing visibility which is never good when driving.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's fine and good to but in California they are either to stupid, impatient or don't care- mostly stupid mixed with impatience. I have had nearly the rear end taken off the back of my on a number of occasions using mirrors and looking around. Here they don't stop if you are pulling out or even bother to slow down- your lucky if you get honked at as they speed down the isles at normal roadway speeds. You all so have those who will engage in a Mexican stand off it you are backing out at the same time.

It is much more than the driver and it isn't all about you. Everyone considers themselves to be a good driver and they can handle it. If that is the case then why is there such a thing as car wrecks? If everybody drove as good as they think they are there would never be any.

I think it is a great looking car and with AWD I am sure it will handle incredibly and whether you are Mr. perfect on driving or not doesn't mean the other driver is and being able to see them sooner will give you more time to react whether in a parking lot or on the road. Adding metal to the sides will limit your vision and mirrors, although great, will never be as great as being able to look with your own two eyes. Auto engineers and manufactures recognize this that is why blind spot protection is being added to cars now and back sensors have been in use now for some time.

My whole point is not your driving or other peoples driving it is about decreasing visibility which is never good when driving.

If I spent my life worrying about the "other Driver" I wouldn't own a 500 at all. I'd be driving a big A$$ pickup.

With that said, the issues raised here about this car are redundant. If you're so concerned about blind spots add a backup camera with a wide angle lens

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If I spent my life worrying about the "other Driver" I wouldn't own a 500 at all. I'd be driving a big A$$ pickup.

With that said, the issues raised here about this car are redundant. If you're so concerned about blind spots add a backup camera with a wide angle lens
I agree you shouldn't get overly concerned to the point of paranoia and being ignorant about it and that's NOT what I am saying. But not being aware of what others drivers are doing is just as bad. God forbid you or anybody else (I am not being sarcastic or condescending- I am being serious, I don't want you or anybody getting hurt) get in a major accident caused by someone else and watch then how "concerned" you will be of others on the road.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts