Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I used to own a Ural Sidecar rig and always was late for where ever I went with all the "what's that questions and did you build it yourself questions". Then I traded it for a Spyder three wheel bike and the same thing went on. At the same time I drove a Smart Brabus and yes....well you know the drill...so now I'm thinking I'll get smart trade the car and get a Fiat 500.............HELP......thumbs up...where did you get it....bla bla bla.....I'm thinking I'll never have a life:rolleyes:.....:eek:

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
oh, just get rid of the smart and get the 500. while you'll still get looks and questions, no one will be asking "so is that thing electric?" while you're filling it up at the gas station OR "can you take that out on the interstate?" as you're sitting in a gas station/convenience store parking lot in Missouri with Indiana plates on your smart.

while the 500 WILL get the looks, at least they'll be INTELLIGENT looks and not people looking at you as if by driving a smart car, you're some kind of idiot! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
614 Posts
And if you're driving by in a Smart Car, you don't know if they are looking at the car or the freshly dropped transmission. :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I used to own a Ural Sidecar rig and always was late for where ever I went with all the "what's that questions and did you build it yourself questions". Then I traded it for a Spyder three wheel bike and the same thing went on. At the same time I drove a Smart Brabus and yes....well you know the drill...so now I'm thinking I'll get smart trade the car and get a Fiat 500.............HELP......thumbs up...where did you get it....bla bla bla.....I'm thinking I'll never have a life:rolleyes:.....:eek:
I was driving the other day, and heard some honking from a Merc ML behind me... Freaked out, thinking something was wrong with my car, or I cut them off or something, but nope.

After about 3 days of this happening, I've come to realize that it's not me, but the car! Certainly different, having this attention. In fact, I'm getting more looks than the exotic cars I see around town!

Now, I've just learned to smile, downshift, and let the 500 say hi ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Where did you buy yours from? I got mine from Columbia Chrysler/Fiat in Richmond. Loving the little car so far! :)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
It'll feel like a luxury to have both a back and a front around you as you drive.

LOL....while the 500 is still short, at least I can't turn around and touch the back window OR when I get out of the drivers door, the first thing I see on the car is the taillight! :p

·
Registered
507 Posts
Originally Posted by Deron
And if you're driving by in a Smart Car, you don't know if they are looking at the car or the freshly dropped transmission. :eek:

......OR the roof flying off! :eek:
I don't remember reading either one happening at at SCOA.

At SCOA, there is a member who has both a Smart Fortwo and a Fiat 500. It would be interesting to hear from one who had a Smart Fortwo and will get a Fiat 500 to see how (or read) how they compare. :cool:

·
Registered
614 Posts
I don't remember reading either one happening at at SCOA.

At SCOA, there is a member who has both a Smart Fortwo and a Fiat 500. It would be interesting to hear from one who had a Smart Fortwo and will get a Fiat 500 to see how (or read) how they compare. :cool:
Have you driven a SmartForTwo? Just a couple of minutes is all it will take...absolutely hideous and I mean hideous transmission.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replys to the thread, my point I guess was that now that I own the Fiat nothing has changed.

I bought the car at Maple Ridge Chrysler Fiat. Love the car.

On the Smart car, one should shift it via the paddles, it is NOT a true automatic. I liked the Smart Car really, no issues ever. The Fiat is much quicker and does have a bit more room

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It would be interesting to hear from one who had a Smart Fortwo and will get a Fiat 500 to see how (or read) how they compare. :cool:

I worked at a Smart dealership and have driven every model from the base Pure, to the top of the range Brabus. Diesel and Gas. The Smart is easily one of the worst handling car's on the road. But it definitely is that mutant transmission that makes it an unpleasant car to drive. The last generation diesels models were even worse. Noisy, smelly, very slow. About as refined as riding in a dumpster down a steep hill.

Albeit the Brabus model has a few nice interior touches to it. The exterior isn't bad with it's body kit, lowered ride height and large staggered wheels.

I drive a base model 2010 Smart for work, maybe putting about 300km a week on it. Let me tell you, after spending a day with the Smart, hopping back into my 500 is like going from a covered wagon to a Maserati.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The Fiat is much quicker and does have a bit more room
LOL yea...a bit more room, kinda like my Bedroom has a bit more room than my dishwasher :rolleyes: I think the Fiat has nearly double the passenger space.

·
Registered
507 Posts
diesel?

I worked at a Smart dealership and have driven every model from the base Pure, to the top of the range Brabus. Diesel and Gas. The Smart is easily one of the worst handling car's on the road. But it definitely is that mutant transmission that makes it an unpleasant car to drive. The last generation diesels models were even worse. Noisy, smelly, very slow. About as refined as riding in a dumpster down a steep hill.

Albeit the Brabus model has a few nice interior touches to it. The exterior isn't bad with it's body kit, lowered ride height and large staggered wheels.

I drive a base model 2010 Smart for work, maybe putting about 300km a week on it. Let me tell you, after spending a day with the Smart, hopping back into my 500 is like going from a covered wagon to a Maserati.

I have had my Smart Fortwo Pure since March 2008. I really enjoy the little car. It did not take long to adjust to the automated manual transmission. I think it is cool to switch from semi to full manual just by moving the shift from right to left. The ride is not perfect but I went from a compact pickup to the Smart and it was an improvement. My Pure does not have shifters but I usually keep it in 'semi-automatic'. I really enjoy the handling of my little car. In the three years I owned it, I have no big problems with it. I feel blessed. :D

Where did you get a Smart with a diesel engine? It was not an option when I bought my little car. In Europe, the diesel engine gets really good mileage. One person has a super-charged diesel and gets about 96 mpg (he won the Cannon Ball Run with his diesel Smart). It would be neat to get a Smart (or other small car) with a diesel in it. It would be nice to get high MPG. :cool:

It is not often to see a Fiat 500. I think I saw one in Connecticut on the highway. It looked really nice. I was not in my Smart at the time (needed more cargo and people room since I was traveling from my brothers place in MA). I really like the Fiat 500 commercials (I wish that Mercedes will start having them for the Smart). When my Smart is paid off, I will be checking out the Fiat 500. I am looking online for information. I also like the Mini Cooper but it is more than I could afford and seems cramped (I am six feet tall and weigh three hundred thirty three pounds and have no problem getting into and out of my Smart).

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
When I first bought my 500, I took it over to show the salespeople at the dealership. You could see it in their faces, and they know smart sales have been in the toilet. One even told me discretely that the Fiat is going to kill smart sales.

The smart fourtwo has been in Canada since late 2004. We sold the first generation models with the 0.8L I3 turbo diesel engines. They achieved some impressive mileage. Under $20 to fill the tank. The gas engine models didn't arrive till the 2008MY. I used a 2005 diesel smart for work before we upgraded to the newer gasoline powered models. Huge difference between the two. The newer smart is not the worst car I've ever driven, but I can say honestly that the first generation diesel model most certainly is. The diesel was just an all around nasty little thing to be stuck driving. I've logged about 50,000 unpleasant kms in them. We traded our diesels in at at around 100,000km, they were falling apart, had lost a significant amount of power due to cooling issues and were running only half the time.

Upgrading from the old diesel to the gasoline model was a great feeling. Aside from the more linear powerband, it was the exhaust note from the 3 cylinder and the freedom to rev the engine that was a nice change. The transmission lost a gear dropping from a 6 to a 5 speed, but it was improved. Still, nowhere near the level I hoped it would be. I used to say the only major thing holding this car back is that awful transmission. (and the handling:rolleyes:, though I have had the car sideways plenty of times in the winter. dayum esp would always try and ruin the fun :p)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts