Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted them through email, then a salesman phoned me. I let him know I am a "live one." The dealer requested a $1000 deposit for "Right of first refusal." The deposit is refundable if I refuse. Otherwise I would have to agree to the price they offer. As long as I let them hold onto my money, I can keep refusing cars.

The dealer said they were allotted 100 vehicles. Pricing? "We don't have that information yet," said the salesperson. Since it's refundable, I played along, gambler that I am.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's an adventure for sure

It's definitely legit. The dealer is big in this area and has been around for a long time. No mention of letting me build it yet. But I already told them I want the Rosso with standard equipment.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Weren't you able to pick up one of the Prima Edizione's? Seems legit to me. Although I'd still be very careful as they have a bit of advantage in the fact that they know you are very likely to buy one. Which makes them less willing to negotiate on price and other items. Good luck on picking one up and keep us updated.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I think that every dealer expects a deposit when you order a car. If AA decides not to buy, then they return the deposit.

I also think that Fiat and Chrysler want to get cars onto the road; bums in seats, and cars on the road. So, AA may still have some negotiation room. But there are lots of car companies that don't negotiate. Toyota here has been pretty firm on their pricing-they know that if you don't buy the car, then the next person in the door probably will. Or try being aggressive on a new Golf diesel wagon- not much leverage on prices there, either.

So if there is a steady demand for the 500, wiggle room will be minor. If the salesman or the dealer wants the car out the door, they may be more flexible.

I would be curious to know how they handled the option part of the deal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's actually a really good point. Seeing how popular the car is it might be hard to negotiate on the price. It might be a lot easier to negotiate extra options on the car though.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
watch this space

My price is already established, and it is 15,500. Sooner or later they will cave in, is my strategy. In the meantime I will keep my old car running, and I am a good walker.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only problem I have they don't want to give a written estimate until they get a deposit, then everything else they promised mysteriously gets forgotten. Like the pre-approved financing. Most recently I had it happen with a Fiesta. Luckily I overheard them and snuck out the back door.

·
Registered
794 Posts
sfv500,

That is a very strange situation. I'm surprised that you have had it happen twice. We're buying a golf wagon, and I got written quotes without even asking. We have not started the bargaining yet, but at least I know, to the penny, where we are starting.

The MSRP is listed on Fiat websites, and so must be a known figure. I think that you should be able to get an exact price for the car you want. After all, you would need that if you were going to a bank for a loan.

The new Fiesta is new to NA, but still a Ford. The 500 may be a bit different, in that it is a 'new' company, but they must still behave in a responsible, clear manner. You have every right to demand and expect a written estimate AND you have the right to bargain. The 500 may be new to our island, but there is more than one dealer in this hemisphere. Start calling around.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only problem I have they don't want to give a written estimate until they get a deposit, then everything else they promised mysteriously gets forgotten. Like the pre-approved financing. Most recently I had it happen with a Fiesta. Luckily I overheard them and snuck out the back door.
Feet are the best tool for car shopping. I have 'em, and I'm not afraid to use them. Once they understand that, most misunderstandings disappear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Some dealer are notorious for doing things like this and take advantage of easy going people that go along for the ride. Like mentioned before, call around. Eventually you will find a dealer or two or a few that will provide you some true customer service. Fortunately I haven't had much situations like this, only once. They want YOUR money, make them work for it.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As much as I love the 500, there are lot of nice little cars out there.

Exception: The Dodge Caliber. Yuck!

I saw a Hyundai Elantra Touring, it was a sweet thing. The new Chevy Cruze appears to be a nice car (it also has a 1.4L engine. Priced starting @ 17K).

Chrysler/Fiat, whatever you want to call it, is going to have to get on the stick and sell these, at a fair price, before I switch to something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts