Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I were speeding and this BMW race me so I went at it. I lost so I wanted to add a turbocharger to my car. The car that I have is a 2012 Fiat 500 Pop. I have a turbocharger for it but where do I get the manifold and the rest of the part's.

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
Salvage. You'll needed intercoolers wastegate, so many part. T or Abarth bumper too. Up grade engine electronics, and software To retrofit. Going to be be costly. Not worth the effort. Just but a T or Abarth. Sorry. Stick with racing Ford Fiesta's.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Salvage. You'll needed intercoolers wastegate, so many part. T or Abarth bumper too. Up grade engine electronics, and software To retrofit. Going to be be costly. Not worth the effort. Just but a T or Abarth. Sorry. Stick with racing Ford Fiesta's.
I agree, don't do it. There's also concerns with getting sufficient additional fuel, as I'm not sure that the injectors are the same, it would be a huge ordeal which makes no sense when Fiat sells Ts and Abarths that are designed to work properly with a turbocharger, and if I'm not mistaken the T/Abarth engine also gets forged components that are upgraded to handle the extra output. Luckily, you can find especially used low mileage 500Ts incredibly cheap!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I were speeding and this BMW race me so I went at it. I lost so I wanted to add a turbocharger to my car.

Why bother?
You'll still lose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, don't do it. There's also concerns with getting sufficient additional fuel, as I'm not sure that the injectors are the same, it would be a huge ordeal which makes no sense when Fiat sells Ts and Abarths that are designed to work properly with a turbocharger, and if I'm not mistaken the T/Abarth engine also gets forged components that are upgraded to handle the extra output. Luckily, you can find especially used low mileage 500Ts incredibly cheap!
In the Honda world people can turbocharge their car with stock engine and has no problem with it. I use to specialize in Honda and I built them right but I never turbocharge the car. My friend however turbocharge his car and I helped him do it. So why can't I just turbocharge the Fiat without going out and getting a T/Abarth?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotta wonder why somebody would buy a naturally aspirated 500 and then try to drag race it.

Tedolph
I didn't know about the T/Abarth at the time of purchasing the naturally aspirated 500. Until my co-worker at my work place Toyota say should of gotten the Abarth. The first and second gear the car ran good but when I gotten into 4th it didn't pick up that fast so the BMW beat me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nahhhh... I'm not planning to go with Ford Fiesta's I rather go with Acura Integra's. All my life I always had Acura Integra and I use to have a built one until it got stolen from me. I got it back and everything inside were broken so I junk it and salvage the engine part's. I went to get my engine part redone and the shop lost my engine part tried to replace me with a stock one. I were piss and I never take my stuff there again.

Maybe i can find a place that can make me some of the turbo part's for the Fiat and the rest I can do it myself.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
ArtaNSX, I guess you missed their point, probably. It's not that you can't do it, but the fact that there already are turbo charged versions of the car available makes the mod very cost inefficient. Other than add-ons to your engine, you'd also need to up the gut - Pistons, conrods, etc., T and Abarth have those things upgraded. Still, I think you should go for it if your heart desires!

speaking of which, what happened to the supercharger kit that was rumored back when?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ArtaNSX, I guess you missed their point, probably. It's not that you can't do it, but the fact that there already are turbo charged versions of the car available makes the mod very cost inefficient. Other than add-ons to your engine, you'd also need to up the gut - Pistons, conrods, etc., T and Abarth have those things upgraded. Still, I think you should go for it if your heart desires!

speaking of which, what happened to the supercharger kit that was rumored back when?
In the Honda world guy's who have stock engine can turbocharge their car without any problem why can't I turbocharge my Fiat. I don't want to go out and get me a 500T that has only 135 hp or the Abarth that has 160 hp.

If someone is going to make a supercharger kit don't you ask yourself to upgrade the engine to compensate the forced induction?

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
Personal myself. I wouldn't waste the change on turbo charging a Pop. Waste a money. Too expensive to mod it. Sell it. Buy a used low mileage Abarth. Cheap. Better performance, exhaust, suspension and brakes. A platform to start with. Contact 500 madness for performance up grades intercoolers exhaust etc. Pushing the horse power, over 200+. They have the mods to do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personal myself. I wouldn't waste the change on turbo charging a Pop. Waste a money. Too expensive to mod it. Sell it. Buy a used low mileage Abarth. Cheap. Better performance, exhaust, suspension and brakes. A platform to start with. Contact 500 madness for performance up grades intercoolers exhaust etc. Pushing the horse power, over 200+. They have the mods to do it.
It's not a waste of money if I do it for myself. Beside I know how to weld and fabricate stuff. I did this Right Hand Drive Conversion on bunch of Honda's here is a few pictures of completed ones.

DSC01319.jpg
DSC00498.jpg

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
In the Honda world guy's who have stock engine can turbocharge their car without any problem why can't I turbocharge my Fiat. I don't want to go out and get me a 500T that has only 135 hp or the Abarth that has 160 hp.

If someone is going to make a supercharger kit don't you ask yourself to upgrade the engine to compensate the forced induction?
Funny you ask, I was wondering for some time if that's exactly the reason that we don't have simple bolt-on kit. It all depends on how much power you want to get out of it. Abarth/T has upgraded internals to cope with higher tune than 135/160hp (along with stronger half shaft, more robust clutch, upgraded transmission, etc.). Can't speak for Honda's non-vtec engines, but vtec engines have pretty robust internals to begin with to cope with high rev/high output, and they can take fair amount of abuse from added boost. Haven't got a clue how much n/a 1.4 will take. Nobody is saying it can't be done - what we are saying is Abarth/T engine naturally is a better place to start, and more cost effective considering the current state of used market for Fiat. However, as I said, nobody is saying it can't be done, so if you wanna turbocharge your Pop, you should, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You could try either a motor swap, or buying an Abarth engine at a boneyard and seeing what parts you can swap. But I think you're going to be blazing a trail that no one has yet attempted, so might be tough to get guidance.

But if youre gonna crack the engine open, then you can build it much more stout than an Abarth, methinks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not worth turbocharging. Much better and cheaper to start with a 500T or an Abarth and go from there. You're in uncharted territory for a reason.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Funny you ask, I was wondering for some time if that's exactly the reason that we don't have simple bolt-on kit. It all depends on how much power you want to get out of it. Abarth/T has upgraded internals to cope with higher tune than 135/160hp (along with stronger half shaft, more robust clutch, upgraded transmission, etc.). Can't speak for Honda's non-vtec engines, but vtec engines have pretty robust internals to begin with to cope with high rev/high output, and they can take fair amount of abuse from added boost. Haven't got a clue how much n/a 1.4 will take. Nobody is saying it can't be done - what we are saying is Abarth/T engine naturally is a better place to start, and more cost effective considering the current state of used market for Fiat. However, as I said, nobody is saying it can't be done, so if you wanna turbocharge your Pop, you should, and let us know how it goes.
When I use to have a 1991 Acura Integra it had a bottom block from a Honda CRV called B20B and a cylinder head from a Civic Si called B16A. It were put together bottom block B20B and cylinder head B16A. It were called B20VTEC. The combination of the two can make the car hauls and the VTEC would kick in about 2 times. I sold the car and bought my Fiat. It is my first time buying a newer car for myself I always had been an owner of a Acura Integra but I were sick of being in the Honda scene so I just ditch it and now in the Fiat scene.

I would trek on modifying my Fiat to accommodate the force induction and I'll tell you guy's how it goes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts