Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone mad this I would buy it.

Short pipe cold air intake
I know space is limited but if the o2 sensors mounted to the top rt of the valve cover were moved over (with an adapter bracket) it would work. I am ok with loosing the stock air box and multi air cover.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Various (true performance cars)examples of my point...
Why cant we use the same technology used on almost every other performance vehicle?

:confused: why not for FIAT too?

·
Registered
176 Posts
We actually tried that design. The only problem was finding a filter small enough to fit in that space. The only one we could fit that's a common size was a 4" wide motorcycle filter but it was too short and restrictive. There are companies that offer cone filters in custom sizes in bulk and we're looking into it. A smaller battery might work also. We would also offer brackets to hold the cover in place.

I'm sure some of you have already noticed but we're setting up a store. It's taking longer than expected since we decided to move to a bigger office right around the launch of the 500 (perfect timing :eek: ). We will go ahead and develop the kit (among other things) BUT we don't know if we'll offer it to the public since it would be in conflict with some of our suppliers. It all depends in a lot of things still unresolved.

Anyway, I'm sure K&N will make something similar soon. All their kits seem to pick up air from behind the headlight using a shield.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
the intake mopar has made is very similar to robs at road race..the difference is the filter sits in front of the engine where the old air box is...so if mopar is doing it that way too then it must be a good idea, mopar makes quiality stuff and they have been doing it forever.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the intake mopar has made is very similar to robs at road race..the difference is the filter sits in front of the engine where the old air box is...so if mopar is doing it that way too then it must be a good idea, mopar makes quiality stuff and they have been doing it forever.
Really? Post the link. :D

·
Registered
313 Posts

... So you are saying that the filter sits right above the exhaust manifold? Where all the hot air rises and gets trapped between the hood and your intake... This is not going to cause heat soak at all haha. That is going to end up just a restrictive as the stock air box.

The whole point of a Cold Air intake, is to have it positioned in a place where it will actually suck direct COLD air into the motor, and not hot humid air...

This is where the Competizione Sport Tuning cold air intake has a great true cold air intake design, the filter nests nicely in the bumper getting the coldest air possible to your engine.

This design you speak of sounds to me like a simply "Short Ram Intake" and we all know that SRI are for those who and extra noise and don't really care about power gains.

The ones in the images above are functional SRI but notice they are all in large cars, and they have the extra room to put the filter far off to the side away from most heat, they also use a heat shield to help.

The choice is up to each person for what system they want to use,

but Triumph I am just giving you a heads up, that with the way this engine bay is set up, putting a cone filter rite above one of the hottest part in the bay is probably not the best of ideas

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not trying to be a pain in the a$$ or single anyone out... If I see something that is wrong or makes no scenes... I will call it out. If there are some that choose not to listen to my reasoning... at leist know I tried. If you get taken and you were warned. Some may not ever even realize the benefits or loss of performance and may simply be happy believing in the thing they bought. Heat simply kills power. Unless you drive around with your hood up the short intake will not produce the dyno results posted.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Really? Post the link. :D

http://www.allpar.com/photos/shows/LA/2010/mopar-fiat-500.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L-XlgbsEZfg/TNEksgYmwyI/AAAAAAAAPoQ/fLpScF0bCRw/s400/NewFiat500_Mopar_SEMA_4.jpg

i just like the idea of the intake up front to get cold air from the outside and i think a heat shield would work.
the real CAI by "comp" is great in dry states, here in NYC, i'll be sucking in water all day, witnessed the horror stories some of my GTI friends had.

and the current SRI from RoadRace, is positioned way back by the firewall, where is it getting fresh air from?

Just my 2cents, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That Mopar intake is just a one-off done for a show car on an Euro 500. Mopar has no plans to build or sell them (at least not that particular one) and no R&D went into it so no one knows if it makes any power or not.
Thats what im saying, why can't one of the guys here that own a shop try to make this one and see if it works? i don't think mopar trade marked the design.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Well rob at road race has made one very similar that he said made 5 whp on the dyno. He has a dyno up on these forums. I get mine next week so I will post up pics and let you guys know how it is

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.allpar.com/photos/shows/LA/2010/mopar-fiat-500.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L-XlgbsEZfg/TNEksgYmwyI/AAAAAAAAPoQ/fLpScF0bCRw/s400/NewFiat500_Mopar_SEMA_4.jpg

i just like the idea of the intake up front to get cold air from the outside and i think a heat shield would work.
the real CAI by "comp" is great in dry states, here in NYC, i'll be sucking in water all day, witnessed the horror stories some of my GTI friends had.

and the current SRI from RoadRace, is positioned way back by the firewall, where is it getting fresh air from?

Just my 2cents, what do you guys think?
GotFiat = SmartMan:D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well rob at road race has made one very similar that he said made 5 whp on the dyno. He has a dyno up on these forums. I get mine next week so I will post up pics and let you guys know how it is

As i mentioned before the one from Road Race is located all the way back of the engin bay, im not totally sure of where its getting fresh air from other than the engin compartment, and if R/D SAI worked, then i believe the one pictured above from the MOPAR concept would do even more since its located all the way up front with access to cooler fresh air from the front grill? :cool:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
ive used a lots of different intakes on my previous cars and on SRI's ive always had a heat shield made and ive always felt a power increase.
Although the theory behind cold air intakes make sense, Ive always felt you lose throttle response because the air has a longer way to travel from the filter to the engine, and I didnt realize a filter that is down by the wheel well where there isnt even a opening for air to get sucked in from since on our 500's everything is closed off around that area where the filter is supposed to go. .Plus I live in a climate where we see tons of snow and rain so a SRI is also safer for me to use.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm no mechanical engineer (oh wait, I am! :D ) but so much heat coming from the engine bay cannot be good for the intake. I'm sure the air filter allows for extra air flow, but where could it come from?!?! The entire engine bay is closed!

I'm not saying it can't or won't work because I haven't tried it, but I can't think of any explanation as to why it could increase power. Unless you drove without a hood.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm no mechanical engineer (oh wait, I am! :D ) but so much heat coming from the engine bay cannot be good for the intake. I'm sure the air filter allows for extra air flow, but where could it come from?!?! The entire engine bay is closed!

I'm not saying it can't or won't work because I haven't tried it, but I can't think of any explanation as to why it could increase power. Unless you drove without a hood.
I guess you could do what JC did in TopGear and drive with the hood open, but that didn't work too well for him :p

And im not shooting down Robs product, im just saying if his made 5hp and increased tq "i hope the results came from runs with the hood closed" then the MOPAR SRI would do even better.

Come on Rob, give it a shot, what u gonna loose ;)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts