Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am 18 years old big car guy and love the abarth!! how cant you right? Been looking for a while found one for a killer deal. 40k miles. red on red on red. no rust brand new looking everything and i got the dealer down to 5,800. Cheapest "low mileage" in the country. it has been in a 5 mph crash got rear ended just got repainted bumper, no damage to anything else have proof. and has the rear seats removed.... kinda pointless anyway are they not? Anyway ive read there very very reliable much more so than people jokingly say. its everything i want in a car. good gas mileage (im a senior about to go to college NEED GOOD MILEAGE), needed a fun car being a enthusiast, wanted something rare but still possible for me to do the work on, wanted a manual a coupe and a great sound. this checks all boxes. Very excited to join the community!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! I am 18 years old big car guy and love the abarth!! how cant you right? Been looking for a while found one for a killer deal. 40k miles. red on red on red. no rust brand new looking everything and i got the dealer down to 5,800. Cheapest "low mileage" in the country. it has been in a 5 mph crash got rear ended just got repainted bumper, no damage to anything else have proof. and has the rear seats removed.... kinda pointless anyway are they not? Anyway ive read there very very reliable much more so than people jokingly say. its everything i want in a car. good gas mileage (im a senior about to go to college NEED GOOD MILEAGE), needed a fun car being a enthusiast, wanted something rare but still possible for me to do the work on, wanted a manual a coupe and a great sound. this checks all boxes. Very excited to join the community!
Did you get the records? Major service needed at 32K which requires spark plug replacement. Regular service also needed at 40k.

·
Registered
195 Posts
LOL, Austin. We already know each other from the MN FIAT forum. You, and most others there don't care for me, but it's OK. I'm a grownup, and can take the abuse pretty easily.

I'm a "senior", too, as in WAY over 65 years old senior. But when I was your age I couldn't afford any car! When I away went to college in 1968, my dad helped me buy a three-year-old used VW Beetle once I turned 20, and I felt like the king of the world. All in lower case letters. My then girlfriend gave me a set of EMPI tuned headers and I installed an EMPI short-shift kit.

A year later, when my girlfriend dumped me, my dad felt sorry for me, and said he'd pay the trade-in cost for a new 1971 Beetle. Oh, **** yes! The dealership even swapped the EMPI exhaust headers onto my brand new Beetle! And it had an AM/FM radio! Not just an AM radio. I bought some radial tires (tube-type back in the stone age) that went flat way too often, but I felt like the King of the World with one or two capital letters.

But that's 17-20 vehicles and 49 years ago now! My advise is still the same. Work hard, save money, and concentrate on completing your degree, whether it's college or trade school. Your generation is going to face some incredibly dangerous choices, and nobody seems to notice that yet. COVID-19 is the tip of the iceberg that sank the Titanic. There will be more...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 red on red Abarth (135,000mi) and other than having to replace the window regulators I have had zero problems, I love it, extremely fun
Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great choice! I lived in Italy for a few years in the early 90's. I loved those Chinquechento's.

When I read FIAT was going to revive them and sell them in the US I knew I had to have one. So in early 2012 I bought a red cabrio Pop. What a fun car! 6 mos. after getting the Pop I decided I wanted the Abarth so went shopping.

At one dealership the sales guy happen to mention to me that a web vendor (Gilt.com) was, in conjunction with FIAT, giving an Abarth away that day at 6pm. All you had do was click on a link at 6pm on the dot. First one to click it won a, yet to be built 2013 Abarth.

I went home, logged into Gilt. Using my Atomic clock, at precisely 6pm I clicked the link AND WON!!!!

A day later FIAT contacted me, said I had to wait for the car to be built but wanted to know how I wanted it configured. I had it built with EVERY option available at the time (sunroof, heated leather seats, premium wheels etc.) Even ordered the cigarette lighter option, ha. It was delivered about 45 days later.

Since that day I've only put 30k miles on it. Compared to the Pop it is a GREAT GREAT car. The Pop went back for warranty service at least 10 times during the first 4 years of ownership. The Abarth, never once.

The aftermarket options I've added are a rear seat delete kit, a stubby antenna, a blow-off valve, a modified intake, a leather pulldown strap for hatch, blackened headlights and DRLs.
I'm from the same era the other 'senior' above, hownowbc, is. (Vietnam era VET ('64-'68), SDSU alm ('73). Plus I owned 7 VW bugs & bus' back in those "hippi" days :).)

I know you're going to LOVE the Abarth!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you get the records? Major service needed at 32K which requires spark plug replacement. Regular service also needed at 40k.
Yes I have all records, clean car fax, 3ed owner, all normal mantience didn't see anything like that... what else needs to be done other than plugs? Because I may have to do it myself to stay on the safe side..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL, Austin. We already know each other from the MN FIAT forum. You, and most others there don't care for me, but it's OK. I'm a grownup, and can take the abuse pretty easily.

I'm a "senior", too, as in WAY over 65 years old senior. But when I was your age I couldn't afford any car! When I away went to college in 1968, my dad helped me buy a three-year-old used VW Beetle once I turned 20, and I felt like the king of the world. All in lower case letters. My then girlfriend gave me a set of EMPI tuned headers and I installed an EMPI short-shift kit.

A year later, when my girlfriend dumped me, my dad felt sorry for me, and said he'd pay the trade-in cost for a new 1971 Beetle. Oh, **** yes! The dealership even swapped the EMPI exhaust headers onto my brand new Beetle! And it had an AM/FM radio! Not just an AM radio. I bought some radial tires (tube-type back in the stone age) that went flat way too often, but I felt like the King of the World with one or two capital letters.

But that's 17-20 vehicles and 49 years ago now! My advise is still the same. Work hard, save money, and concentrate on completing your degree, whether it's college or trade school. Your generation is going to face some incredibly dangerous choices, and nobody seems to notice that yet. COVID-19 is the tip of the iceberg that sank the Titanic. There will be more...
That's an amazing story and I'm sorry to hear the struggles you went through!!! I'm really really good with money. I'm a level 2 tech at the moment and I save every penny only thing I would spend money on was gas. I ended up buying a car because I needed a safer one so bad, it's my hobby so had to get a fun one of course so I needed good gas mileage and realibity too. So I took out a loan because I need to build credit and I had plenty saved up to buy it In cash so dident even need a co signer. It w was s really a win win win for me I'm building credit got a safer car and still am ready to afford college bills!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great choice! I lived in Italy for a few years in the early 90's. I loved those Chinquechento's.

When I read FIAT was going to revive them and sell them in the US I knew I had to have one. So in early 2012 I bought a red cabrio Pop. What a fun car! 6 mos. after getting the Pop I decided I wanted the Abarth so went shopping.

At one dealership the sales guy happen to mention to me that a web vendor (Gilt.com) was, in conjunction with FIAT, giving an Abarth away that day at 6pm. All you had do was click on a link at 6pm on the dot. First one to click it won a, yet to be built 2013 Abarth.

I went home, logged into Gilt. Using my Atomic clock, at precisely 6pm I clicked the link AND WON!!!!

A day later FIAT contacted me, said I had to wait for the car to be built but wanted to know how I wanted it configured. I had it built with EVERY option available at the time (sunroof, heated leather seats, premium wheels etc.) Even ordered the cigarette lighter option, ha. It was delivered about 45 days later.

Since that day I've only put 30k miles on it. Compared to the Pop it is a GREAT GREAT car. The Pop went back for warranty service at least 10 times during the first 4 years of ownership. The Abarth, never once.

The aftermarket options I've added are a rear seat delete kit, a stubby antenna, a blow-off valve, a modified intake, a leather pulldown strap for hatch, blackened headlights and DRLs.
I'm from the same era the other 'senior' above, hownowbc, is. (Vietnam era VET ('64-'68), SDSU alm ('73). Plus I owned 7 VW bugs & bus' back in those "hippi" days :).)

I know you're going to LOVE the Abarth!
That's to cool, really that's awesome!!! Sounds like you got yourself a sweet looking little fiat as well! Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

1 - 20 of 22 Posts