Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah. I'm almost completely sure that sooner or later (and I hope "sooner") I'll remove the Eibachs from my car. I'm upgrading to the stock suspension.

There's only one thing Eibach does better: the looks. The car looks awesome, simply great. Everything else, for me, has been a disaster.

I can't go as fast as I used to . Any pavement imperfection will make my car bottom out.

My wife hates going out on my car now. It's simply too jarring.

I can take curves faster, but since I'm in mortal fear of bottoming out the suspension, I end up driving slower.

The car is noisier.

Potholes are a nightmare.

Speed bumps surely are leaving an impression on the chassis.

The stock suspension is really awesome. I suspect the Abarth looks lower because the wider skirts are actually bigger than our sheetmetal, not because it's actually that much lower. Stock is comfy, never bottoms out, I can drive pretty fast, and I keep the warranty intact.

As much as I want to love the Eibachs, I have to face the facts. They have to go. :(

·
Registered
470 Posts
My wife likens the ride to being on the back of a sport bike. It can get rough. Here in SoCal the roads are pretty nice. I have driven to Phoenix, Vegas, Reno, San Diego, and New Mexico and the Pro Kit has been just fine for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am hopeful someone starts using some coilovers and offers such detailed reasons for changing to them or sticking with stock setup, thanks for the insight.
Agreed....only coil with stock suspension will always very hard on the road...coilover is the way to go!!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
weird. mine rides very nicely. Anyone in the VA area who wants to drive my Eibach equipped car is welcome to do so.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm sure that if the roads were OK, the Eibachs would be just perfect. But reality is different - the roads where I live are terrible. It's as if nobody ever cared about building a flat street.

I'm going to hurt my car sooner or later if I keep on driving around here, that's for sure. I bottom out my car at least 3 or 4 times everyday. I can't remember bottoming a car more than once a year.

The Eibachs are good if your streets are perfect...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I also sawed an inch off my rear bump stops. Eibach said I didn't have to, but prior experience with Eibach told me differently.

Reactions: fjhuerta

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
My concern with running the Eibach is the stock shocks aren't going to be ideal with them from what I was reading recently here on the forum, I figured I'll get the better ride and comfort with a coilover setup and not need to be concerned. I have ok roads most places around here so perhaps it would be better to get just the Eibach springs and maybe some Koni's or something...thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are very welcome.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I've had several sets of coilovers. Every set I have had has been aggressively valved and has made the ride considerably more harsh. Even street oriented coilovers such as BC coilovers. On the softest setting, it was still punishing. my Bilstein PSS9s were murderous on road irregularities.

I would go with a performance shock like Bilstein or Koni and go with a nice spring such as the Eibach. That's just me though.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I've had several sets of coilovers. Every set I have had has been aggressively valved and has made the ride considerably more harsh. Even street oriented coilovers such as BC coilovers. On the softest setting, it was still punishing. my Bilstein PSS9s were murderous on road irregularities.

I would go with a performance shock like Bilstein or Koni and go with a nice spring such as the Eibach. That's just me though.
This sounds more like what I want, I have seen the Eibachs on several sites with pretty wide spread pricing, any links or suggestions for shocks that'll do best with the 500 on Eibach springs?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm sure little is out now. I've had Bilsteins in several cars and have never found fault.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had BC coilover in two of my cars and have never found fault.The ride is good and don't forget that i live in Quebec and the road condition is not so good!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also sawed an inch off my rear bump stops. Eibach said I didn't have to, but prior experience with Eibach told me differently.
I would say it is necessary to trim the bumpstops.

I was under my Fiat measuring things yesterday and there is only 2.5" of clearace at stock height to the bumpstops. With a 2" drop you will definitely have ride harshness issues from only having .5" of suspension travel to the bumpstop.

I could not measure the static stock bumpstop clearance in the front but it may be the same issue as the rear.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would say it is necessary to trim the bumpstops.

I was under my Fiat measuring things yesterday and there is only 2.5" of clearace at stock height to the bumpstops. With a 2" drop you will definitely have ride harshness issues from only having .5" of suspension travel to the bumpstop.

I could not measure the static stock bumpstop clearance in the front but it may be the same issue as the rear.
The fronts have new bumpstops, and they are shorter.

It may be a good idea to trim them first before removing the springs. I'll try that. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I think there is enough room to pull them out of the rear without removing the spring.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think there is enough room to pull them out of the rear without removing the spring.
I dunno about that. I tried to pry them out through the stock springs up on a jack and they wouldn't come. I doubt they will fit through the Eibach tight coils, but maybe. Let us know if you are able to do that and I'll try it too. I'm too lazy to pull off the rear end again just to get at the bum stops. Might be able to get an X-acto knife in there and cut them in situ.

The progressive windings on the rear coils cause the top half of the spring to fully compress before the bottom of the spring. So, what's the bump stop going to do anyway? Somebody should put a n Eibach lowered car up on a standing lift (weight on rear wheels) and measure the true compressed distance to the bump stop.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts