Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In a previous thread there were a couple of us who noticed low oil in our cars. I took mine today to my local dealer and they told me fiat has let the dealers know if this happens the likley cause are the exhaust manifold studs. I think my service advisor said they are just a little bit off in sizing causing oil to seep out slowly. also the oil cap wasnt sealing properly so that had to be replaced as well. Just wanted to pass this along. If your "change oil" light comes on, STOP DRIVING and check oil and add some as needed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow! I hate to say it but maybe I should have stayed loyal with the usual suspects when buying a new car. Over the past decade, I have refused to buy an American made car due to the poor quality. I know that every car maker has its quirks, but this is ridiculous IMO. I have never had any early problems with any of the foreign made cars I have bought new....

Did they say when they are going to send out a recall or fix the issue?

Thank you for sharing this important info!

·
Registered
794 Posts
RRR,

Calm down. There is no reason to panic. Now that you know about this possibility, check your oil regularly, contact your dealer, and enjoy the ride.

All cars are mechanical things, built by blind robots or puny humans. Shift happens.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I 100% agree. I really do love this car, its tons of fun to own and play around with. BUT I have been to the dealer I think about 10 times now since last May. In the US I think there is a lemon law but nothing here in Canada. It was great to me on my road trip from Alberta to seattle and mechanically speaking it was flawless up until now. I cant really see how manifold studs can make me lose all that oil so now im thinking maybe my engine is BURNING it. That being said Im going to install my stock airbox and take out my road race one until Im comfortable the issue has been resolved.

As much as Id love to buy an Abarth, with it being turbo charged and stuff I'd really be weary now of buying a first year production model. Its normal for first year owners of a new car to have some issues ( ask about everyone who bought a mazda RX-8 the first couple of years) but they usually iron out the kinx and Im guessing the 2013 and on models will be less problematic

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree that it is a fun car, but the problems, the trips to the studio, and the people that work there, is really starting to wear my patience thin. This past week I have been without my ipod. The USB port is dead.... Not to mention my mileage is still crappy in comparison to most on here. I am getting 24.4mpg

I don't mean to be a downer, I'm just not happy with the product quality so far. Maybe its just a few cars and I was one of the unlucky ones.... Iono. But now that I'm stuck with it for a bit, the only thing I can do is rant. Lol!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats crazy you're only getting 24.4 !!!! Im getting about an honest 36MPG in the city with my intake and exhaust done and well over 40 on the highway

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Thanks Dom, I am definitely stuck with the car I have so hopefully I don't have too many problems, my biggest rant or issue is the people at the studio and not the car itself, at least not yet. I may have to check my oil tomorrow just to see what it looks like, hearing about it has me curious now, still not 100% certain my first oil change actually resulted in an ACTUAL change...if the engine melts down and I get a new car (Abarth please...lol) then I guess I'll just have to live with it. (Doesn't hurt to wish does it)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm not experiencing the oil problem you guys have talked about. Plenty of oil and I'm around 9k now. First oil change went smooth. As for MPG I'm getting 36mpg and around 40 highway. Your issues appear not to be wide spread issue.

·
Registered
962 Posts
RedRum - 24MPG is perfectly fine. I get the same amount in city driving. On the highway I can get 35-40 MPG if I am going steady with no stops and 65MPH. But there is more to a a car than just MPG. Your 500 is a well made, super stylish car that is the toast of the town.

If there are any issues, bring it in and let them fix it. Every single new car I have owned always had to be brought in for warranty work at some point. The new Mercedes had transmission issues, the new Jaguar had electrical issues, the new Kia had a clunking noise in cold weather, the new Civic pulled to the right now matter how many times I had the alignment done. Blah blah blah...so what. Life goes on.

Give your 500 a nice car wash, armor all the tires and drive it. You have a great car...enjoy it.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
We do have lemon laws in Canada, or at least in Ontario. I've been through it once.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Have close to 6K miles on my car. The oil level is fine. No oil lights coming on. Car is running great. If there a issues I'll run to the Fait studio 2 blocks from me. Been getting 32 mpg on the highway. I've seen 39.5 a couple times.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Hi all,

In a previous thread there were a couple of us who noticed low oil in our cars. I took mine today to my local dealer and they told me fiat has let the dealers know if this happens the likley cause are the exhaust manifold studs. I think my service advisor said they are just a little bit off in sizing causing oil to seep out slowly. also the oil cap wasnt sealing properly so that had to be replaced as well. Just wanted to pass this along. If your "change oil" light comes on, STOP DRIVING and check oil and add some as needed.
Any info on production date of the effected cars? Mine hasn't even hit 1k miles yet and the oil level is fine, car was built 11/14

How would the exhaust manifold have anything to do with oil leaking?

·
Registered
825 Posts
To balance things out a little, I've had mine since 04/2011, and I've had zero issues. Been in for three oil changes and have close to 22,000 miles on the car. My average mileage is well over that stated on the sticker. Last tank, I averaged right at 44.0mpg.

I love my 500 and am currently swaying my wife to buy one for herself! :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Based on the low oil threads, I checked the oil in my wife's Pop yesterday (1500 miles) and it appeared completely full. I will admit however that it was difficult to check, as the oil is still quite clear in color. Not much contrast on the dip-stick.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Based on the low oil threads, I checked the oil in my wife's Pop yesterday (1500 miles) and it appeared completely full. I will admit however that it was difficult to check, as the oil is still quite clear in color. Not much contrast on the dip-stick.
True, it was very clean, but still readable to me. I checked it 3 times before actually adding oil. Just to be on the safe side...

·
Registered
117 Posts
True, it was very clean, but still readable to me.
I'll confess I was pretty shocked at how clear the oil really was. At 1500 miles, most vehicles I've owned have oil that is a medium amber color - slightly lighter than maple syrup - but not the 500. Whatever they've done in the engine build, it does not seem to add much in the way of contaminants to the oil!

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I have put more miles on my new 500 than any other car I have bought new. Here is the total list of defects to date:

1) Loose door hinge bolt.
<END>

And lowest fill-up MPG to date: 40.1 . Maybe I got whatever the opposite of a lemon is? A sugar beet?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So far this is the list that my car has Been through.

-parking brake sticking- they sanded down my pads thinking the noise was coming from the pads being contaminated.
- drivers side skirt falling off. They "fixed" it.
- back again as the skirt was falling off again. They again fixed it
-took car back in as brakes were still noisy. Claimed they couldn't hear it
- paint on the radio presets all came off. They replaced the radio
- side skirt again was falling off. This time they ordered me a new skirt.
-took my car back in again for the brake noise. This time they replaced 1 caliper and parking brake
- engine oil light came on. Engine almost totally dry. They cla
It was the manifold stud bolts ..

As of now my brakes are noisy again. So far engine oil level is fine.
I've been to the dealer 8 times. Pretty annoying. I now work at a vw dealership and am waiting on financing approval on a new gti.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts