Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm embarrassed to share that I've now inadvertently set off the alarm of my 2012 FIAT Sport three times now by attempting to open the unlocked liftgate. The first time was the first evening I got the car (almost two weeks ago), and the last time was today while showing off the FIAT to some friends in a residential area (they LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the car and I thought I was the coolest kid in town; 'twas good for the ego). I do unlock ALL the doors (and sometimes hit the liftgate unlock button just for good measure) and then I reach under the chrome part in the back and press the button, but I must be doing something wrong. The button depresses and sometimes the door gets "stuck" or "caught on something" (does anybody know what I'm talking about?); is it because I don't lift quick enough? Or I lift too quickly? and the alarm sometimes goes off (and I get the blinking "attempted break-in entry" light on the dash). and now I'm a little paranoid...will I set off this time? Most time the liftgate opens smoothly.

Also, sometimes the liftgate gets stuck, but thankfully the alarm doesn't go off. If that happens, I can't then open the liftgate without giving the (still-unopened) liftgate a quick & hard push to get it to re-close, and then I press the button again to lift.

The "liftgate getting stuck upon attempt to open" actually happened on the dealer lot and the salesperson looked at me like there was something wrong with me.

Anyways, if anybody knows what I'm talking about, please share, or if nobody responds, I know it's just me. Thanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Setting off the alarm is annoying I've done that a couple times myself. I just fully unlock the car before opening the hatch now.
Dear NHFIAT500: The very weird thing is, "fully unlocking the car" is what I think I'm doing! (I must be wrong, though. why would the alarm go off if I've fully unlocked the car, right?)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dear NHFIAT500: The very weird thing is, "fully unlocking the car" is what I think I'm doing! (I must be wrong, though. why would the alarm go off if I've fully unlocked the car, right?)
It shouldn't go off if the driver side door is unlocked, you just might not be able to open the hatch. I think you need to have all doors unlocked for the hatch to be unlocked however don't quote me. I really only go into the hatch when I have a passenger, otherwise I put the groceries or what not on the front seat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you need to have all doors unlocked for the hatch to be unlocked however don't quote me.
So am I understanding correctly that you can't open the hatch unless all the doors are unlocked? The other day I wanted to get something from the hatch so I pulled over and threw it in park and left it running while I hopped out to open the hatch. It was locked, so I figured I'd reach over and click the fob button to open it while it was running. I did that but it still didn't open! Dam*ed if I had to shut the car off and use the fob button to unlock the thing! Am I doing something wrong? And is there a button in the car to unlock the hatch just like there was an "open trunk" pull in my Honda? (and if not, whyever not?)

·
Registered
317 Posts
So am I understanding correctly that you can't open the hatch unless all the doors are unlocked? The other day I wanted to get something from the hatch so I pulled over and threw it in park and left it running while I hopped out to open the hatch. It was locked, so I figured I'd reach over and click the fob button to open it while it was running. I did that but it still didn't open! Dam*ed if I had to shut the car off and use the fob button to unlock the thing! Am I doing something wrong? And is there a button in the car to unlock the hatch just like there was an "open trunk" pull in my Honda? (and if not, whyever not?)
I've had no issues with opening the hatch with the car running. I believe however all the doors were unlocked. I always fully unlock it when I open that hatch. Maybe your passenger door was locked? I haven't had time to play with it to figure it out yet.

·
Registered
794 Posts
And is there a button in the car to unlock the hatch just like there was an "open trunk" pull in my Honda? (and if not, whyever not?)
There is a way; it's clever but not obvious. Push the drivers door handle (the one you pull to open the door) in to the 'door lock position' and then click it back to the 'door unlock' position. This will unlock both doors and the hatch lock.

I have not tried this with the engine running, but I do it all the time when I turn the car off.

To Peipster: If you can open the hatch, the alarm should already be off, or unarmed. The alarm is only on when the car is locked. If you press the 'hatch open' button on the fob, it must disable the alarm as it actually unlatches the trunk lock.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hit the hatch button on the fob and the alarm went off??? I do believe you have to hit the unlock door button at least once for this not to happen. Any how that is what I am going with.
Yes, I think this is what happened with me, too. I depress the hatch unlock button on the key fob, try to open the hatch, and the alarm went off. I am too embarrassed to try it again, and thank you everybody for responding, especially Umbrianissimo regarding how to cleverly unlock the hatch while sitting in the car.

To Umbrianissimo: It is really weird, and it's been five weeks now, so perhaps my memory is hazy about it, but I think I unlocked all the doors, and unlocked the hatch to boot, and then I try to open the hatch. The button on the hatch depresses, but the hatch gets "stuck" (for lack of a better word) and then I'm stuck. When I try to open the hatch at this point, the alarm goes off.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Peip: well, strange things happen to electronics. To me, if you can open the hatch from the outside (without a crowbar), then it must be unlocked, and the alarm must be off.

Put this one on the list of 'things to have the dealer check', which I know you keep handy in the glove box. Could be a problematic lock or something that controls the alarm. I had faulty locks on three of the four doors on my jetta. Post warranty, naturally.

Very embarrassing to have the alarm go off, especially in front of friends or at 01:00 am when you're trying to sneak into the house.

Final note: you sure have a lot of posts for someone who just joined last month. Brava, of course!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Peip: well, strange things happen to electronics. To me, if you can open the hatch from the outside (without a crowbar), then it must be unlocked, and the alarm must be off.

Put this one on the list of 'things to have the dealer check', which I know you keep handy in the glove box. Could be a problematic lock or something that controls the alarm. I had faulty locks on three of the four doors on my jetta. Post warranty, naturally.

Very embarrassing to have the alarm go off, especially in front of friends or at 01:00 am when you're trying to sneak into the house.

Final note: you sure have a lot of posts for someone who just joined last month. Brava, of course!
Yes, it can be very embarrassing as I'm trying to show off my new car in front of my friend's house..."here's how the hatch opens...wait, umm..." alarm! I'm sure I will be unable to replicate it at the Studio. Of course.

Brava indeed on my 200+ posts since February 2012. Thank you. I am just a wee, wee bit obsessed, no?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm amazed that so many people can get their alarm to go off. The only way mine will go off is if I am in the car, key out of the ignition, doors locked with alarm on, and I then open the door. Before I did this, I wasn't even sure I had a working alarm!

I can securely lock my car with the alarm active (honk!), then press the hatch unlock button to open just the hatch. In fact, I LOVE this feature, because it's locked immediately after closing it. I don't have to press any more buttons if I'm just putting something in the back and leaving again.

I can also unlock just the driver, or all doors, and the alarm does not go off.

I can also be sitting in my car, ignition on, and just pull the door pull out a little to unlock all doors, including the hatch, so that my kids can put their school stuff in the back before getting in. I do this every single weekday without any problems.

If I had to turn the car off every time I wanted to let my kids open the hatch, or completely unlock the whole car every time I wanted to just toss some stuff in the back, I'd be annoyed too.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm amazed that so many people can get their alarm to go off. The only way mine will go off is if I am in the car, key out of the ignition, doors locked with alarm on, and I then open the door. Before I did this, I wasn't even sure I had a working alarm!

I can securely lock my car with the alarm active (honk!), then press the hatch unlock button to open just the hatch. In fact, I LOVE this feature, because it's locked immediately after closing it. I don't have to press any more buttons if I'm just putting something in the back and leaving again.

I can also unlock just the driver, or all doors, and the alarm does not go off.

I can also be sitting in my car, ignition on, and just pull the door pull out a little to unlock all doors, including the hatch, so that my kids can put their school stuff in the back before getting in. I do this every single weekday without any problems.

If I had to turn the car off every time I wanted to let my kids open the hatch, or completely unlock the whole car every time I wanted to just toss some stuff in the back, I'd be annoyed too.
Hmm, something really must be wrong (with my situation) if your kids can open the hatch to put their school stuff in without any problems. :( I always thought I had trouble because of my weak fingers or something, but I can't imagine your kids having weaker or smaller fingers than I do.

That said, I haven't had trouble recently opening the hatch, although I do have a smidgen of "fear" almost every time. Pavlovian, I would say.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.