Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of a few different things that may lower the MPG with the Fiat 500. These are all scattered all over the forum so I thought I would start a new thread with all of them in one place along with a few new ones.

1. Ethanol is going to be increased from E10 to E15 - I heard some cars are being reprogramed to accommodate the change and in the end this will lower the MPG. I can't find when this will happen or if our car is ready for the change.

2. Sport button kills MPG? I have not seen much of a difference... anyone else?

3. Auto Climate Control
- I just read that the system runs the AC all the time when on. Is this true? If it does how does it affect the MPG and would running on manual be better?

4. AC / Windows down
- Anyone notice a huge amount of drag on either? Which is better? I have yet to use the AC… I live in NE.

Right now I'm getting 36mpg which is not bad with the cold winter temps. Was getting 40-42 during the fall.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
#1. No clue, haven't looked into it so interesting to see what information is to be had and what the outcome ends up being.
#2. I haven't noticed the Sport button doing anything...BUT, the driver drives differently when it is pressed...that can do a bit to lower it...hehe. ;)
#3. I would think this would like cruise control not be ideal if trying to save on MPGs, I haven't yet used it (auto) really as it works so well manually for me I haven't needed to but to "try it out".
#4. This seems to always be a debate for any forum/car, I imagine the drag from the open windows might be a little more of the thief than the AC but that'd be purely a guess till someone does enough research and then with so many variables it won't be an end all answer. With the car being a vert, sunroof, and hardtop the results should be fairly scattered but I'll likely use the AC when needed and crack windows/sunroof accordingly as well for comfort rather than looking at what the mileage is doing.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1. ive never heard any such thing.
2. of course having different throttle response from the pedal will eat more gas. you would have to conciously put less input into the pedal in sport mode...then what would the point be of using it?
3. dont know
4. its been verified on many cars that using AC at 45 mph+ is the best option. however, not all cars are goint to react the same as they are each going to create different amounts of drag with windows up/down. the best option imo is cruising at hwy speeds with ac off and windows down as little as possible and leaving ac off altogether at lower speeds and windows all the way down.

i think with each car a person will have to experiment a bit to find the best balance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
1) I will need to look into this, I had not previously heard of it.
2) Assuming a gentle driving style with mostly cruising, the only difference will be that Sport Mode will not utilize 6th gear. In most circumstances the difference in gear ratios puts your car revving only a couple hundred rpm higher. So on short journeys the difference in negligible. If you are covering a greater distance, however, it will eventually add up. As has been posted, your right foot is your biggest MPG enemy once the sport button is pressed.
3) A/C does not always run when auto temp control is on. When you turn auto off it shows you everything that was just running, and on several occasions I have turned it off to find A/C was not being used.
As far as why it impacts performance, running the A/C compressor increases parasitic drag on the engine, thus reducing its efficiency.
4) Same as already posted, cars generally do better with A/C above 45 mph.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The last 2 or 3 summers have been "$4 or $5 gas is coming" summers. While I think gas will certainly get there eventually, it's a loaded statement.

Whenever we start the gas stories in the news, they pan to Cali or Hawaii and show their signs. Guess what? Gas is already $4 there. Some places close to $5. We've already done the single greatest thing as the driving public we could do to lessen the impact. We bought a little car with a tiny 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I remember watching a mythbusters episode on whether it was better on fuel economy to roll the windows down or have your a/c on.
Here it is: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/db/science/ac-vs-open-windows.html

Turns out he went 15 miles further with the windows down.
Yep, I remember that. I also remember thinking that testing the vehicles at 45mph basically takes drag out of the equation. Try the same thing at a normal highway speed, 65-75 mph.

However, it doesn't matter. If I'm hot, I'm using that air.

cheers

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep, I remember that. I also remember thinking that testing the vehicles at 45mph basically takes drag out of the equation. Try the same thing at a normal highway speed, 65-75 mph.

However, it doesn't matter. If I'm hot, I'm using that air.

cheers
Agreed. I'm not going to worry about mileage when its hot as **** outside!

And last summer I recall the gas prices almost hittin $5.00 here in chicago. I heard on the radio this morn that it will hit $4.60 this summer. I really don't worry about it much cuz I mostly ride my motorcycles. Lots more fun and less on gas.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
The ethanol benefits corn growers more than the environment. Demand has been dropping for gasoline in the U.S., so that should control price increases for a while.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The ethanol benefits corn growers more than the environment. Demand has been dropping for gasoline in the U.S., so that should control price increases for a while.
The Feds recently dropped the subsidy on corn for ethanol. Now most ethanol will come from Brazil and corn will go back to being used as food, not a lower energy mpg destroyer.

Take away the corn subsidy and the E15 goes out the window... which it did.

Cheers

·
Registered
582 Posts
We've been paying between $4-$5 for regular gas for some time here in Canada, seems nobody complains anymore and has become just normal. 91 and above is usually over $5.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We've been paying between $4-$5 for regular gas for some time here in Canada, seems nobody complains anymore and has become just normal. 91 and above is usually over $5.
Too True.

This is the same as the cliche of the frog in the hot water. Put it hot water, it will jump out. Put it in cold and raise the temp slowly and he will cook to death. And here I thought we were smarter than frogs.... I learn something new every day

·
Registered
148 Posts
Too True.

This is the same as the cliche of the frog in the hot water. Put it hot water, it will jump out. Put it in cold and raise the temp slowly and he will cook to death. And here I thought we were smarter than frogs.... I learn something new every day
So then be the frog that jumps out and stop driving...

·
Registered
225 Posts
So then be the frog that jumps out and stop driving...
.....ends up on a bus or other "reliable", if not convenient public transportation that may or may not go anywhere near their house. Or... he may just drive less.... :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The Feds recently dropped the subsidy on corn for ethanol. Now most ethanol will come from Brazil Take away the corn subsidy and the E15 goes out the window... which it did.

Cheers
An additional benefit; Brazil's ethanol is made from sugar cane and has more energy than ethanol made from corn.

·
Registered
148 Posts
.....ends up on a bus or other "reliable", if not convenient public transportation that may or may not go anywhere near their house. Or... he may just drive less.... :)
It is near impossible to give it up unless you live and work in a major city. And if you do that you are most likely paying much more in living expenses. So you really just have to pick your poison.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
The end of the world is near too! I still waiting for the high gas prices, after 6 years. I drive 3 small fuel efficient cars. What going to happen first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.