Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Fiat 500e and would like to increase the range. I heard that battery technology continues to improve.
Current battery cells would give the Fiat 500e over 160 miles on a charge.
Are there companies that offer battery cell upgrades??
This seems like a great service to offer since the Samsung Cells are readily available.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The only feasible way is to get cells from totaled i3 with 90Ah cells. They are same size. You need 97 of them.
i3 has only 96 of them.
Basically if you need more range buy other car is rule of thumb for any BEV.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,357 Posts
Depending on your driving habits/goals, & current &/or near-future DC rapid chargers near your intended routes, that upcoming kit might be a viable option.

·
Registered
120 Posts
might look at Spiers New Technologies. its a Dutch company that repairs and refurbishes EV battery packs. among other things related to EVs

They have a fully operational location in Oklahoma City.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did QuickCharge power fold, or is there a different website? I’m just getting a GoDaddy landing page there now. Off to search more.

Edit: oddly, searching for those 3 words landed on a site that seems to have the same URL, but actually works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pardon me for a naïve question, but couldn't you add a second 63 Ah battery replacement pack? Of course figuring out where to put it would be an issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pardon me for a naïve question, but couldn't you add a second 63 Ah battery replacement pack? Of course figuring out where to put it would be an issue.
The battery pack is very heavy so adding a 2nd one will make this worse. I suspect the engine would not provide adequate power at twice the weight. Also the cooling system is designed to serve 1 battery, not 2, so there are other upgrades that would be necessary. You'd do better by making the car more aerodynamic, which it clearly wasn't designed to be at all.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,357 Posts
Agreed on the 2nd-last part (Cd is decent at 0.311). Lowering 2" reportedly adds 16-18% range. I wonder about extending the OEM rubber lip. Mirrors are really bad too. A sideview camera kit would probably help a lot.

My notes show the battery weighs about 400 pounds, so doubling that for double range would only be like carrying three 133Lb passengers, for which the motor, brakes & tires clearly have adequate power. It WOULD reduce any additional load capability though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
500e Cd is worse than pretty much all SUV and crossover EVs. Most of which have more ground clearance and a taller wider stance. But I am curious if that 16-18% increase from lowering can be reliably replicated since that is meaningful miles even in winter. I have always questioned it as you can gain that just by changing your driving habits. One soft datapoint isn't enough for me to pull the trigger.

RE Cameras - I have worked extensively with off the shelf car cameras and can say 99% of them are not a good replacement for wing mirrors. You really need to build your own HD system since all are analog signals with tiny sensors and poor dynamic range. HDMI into a 5" display on left and right could be interesting. I've parted it out even, stopping short of trying to fab something that doesn't look completely hacky.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts