Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than struggle with my own frustrations I figured why not throw to the masses who may have experienced both. I currently have an INJEN cold air intake on my 500. I have been reading more and more about the pro's of short ram intakes. Rather than ***** foot around the topic my question is simply - has anyone had experience with both and what did you find? I have to admit Lorvar's custom short ram is what sparked my renewed interest in the subject. I'm pretty much in a good position to be able to run a dual set up at this point - but I'd like to get any feedback I can from fellow owners before I dive in head first!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Think of the Injen like this. You have a tall glass of soda. Which would you prefer? A short straw to get the soda to you quicker, and easier, or a long crazy straw that takes some work to get the soda. Your engine feels the same way

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think of the Injen like this. You have a tall glass of soda. Which would you prefer? A short straw to get the soda to you quicker, and easier, or a long crazy straw that takes some work to get the soda. Your engine feels the same way
This has been a recurring theme from what I've read. Initially heat soak was a huge deal for me - but the more I settle down and think the less it seems to matter in this case. I have a feeling I may order the thing and try it out. Might just do it before I order the timing controller - give both set ups a fair shake and see which one nets the best result. Which ever one ends up on the bottom goes up for sale! :D

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have a short ram on mine that I've been using for some time now. I recently put an air scoop in the hood to route fresh air to my injen filter. What I noticed was the torgue in first second and third seems about the same, however in forth it now pulls like a much bigger engine. Before I didn't use forth much in the canyons, now I do.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I have a short ram on mine that I've been using for some time now. I recently put an air scoop in the hood to route fresh air to my injen filter. What I noticed was the torgue in first second and third seems about the same, however in forth it now pulls like a much bigger engine. Before I didn't use forth much in the canyons, now I do.
Pics and details please...I'm sure other will be asking soon as well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have a short ram on mine that I've been using for some time now. I recently put an air scoop in the hood to route fresh air to my injen filter....
I want to put a scoop on, but I just can't bring myself to make a non-reversable mod like that. Looking into getting a spare hood sometime in the future :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless the scoop is a functional ram air I doubt that it really makes much difference. I plan on running my digital wireless temp probe in the area of where the RRM intake would be just to see what the temps are now that it's getting warmer out.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I only say that cause the RRM hood scoop from the picture looks like it sits right where the filter is and the filter (of course this is on there track car) is clearly visible. If it rained on that open scoop i can see that filter getting soaked. Heres the picture in question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has any follow up with the RRM vs the CAI (mopar or injen) I live in Southern Louisiana and want to make the mode. I have an Auto (wife's car) and the RRM looks easier to install as you don't have to take off the wheel etc, but I want to know if heat is a real concern. Thanks,

Fulmitz

·
Registered
777 Posts
that filter would never get soaked. its coated in oil. oil and water dont mix. and even if driving in torrential rain the rear side of the filter would be dry. the competitions solutions would be bad if flooding happens in your area as they pick up air from down low.

also if you want to vent heat out of the hood for cooler temps/ cooler air for your rrm intake you can remove the weatherstripping at the rear of the engine bay. I used to do that to keep my old grand prix cooler.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Since this has been revived... I recently had a short chat with HundredYardHero regarding his scoop and short ram, he said he hasn't had any issues with the scoop, water snow or otherwise. As long as you keep it oiled, the filter itself shouldn't have a single problem. He also noted that the scoop makes a big difference in engine temps, as airflow through the engine bay in stock form is quite limited.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
i think theyre the same tbh - you can even use PVC piping with a filter and itll be the same. so long as you are getting smooth flow and eliminating all the ribs from the stock piping...you'll increase power and flow.

of course PVC may not withstand heat etc. so material is a factor. but all in all i went with Injen Cold Air Intake and I got 168hp to the wheels.

Reactions: Strada Scorpione

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Im more concerned with water getting in with a hood scoop.
I don't use an oil based filter, I use the Ingen filter with my own aluminium pipe, therefore I made my hoodscoop functional. It is closeable from inside the cabin with a relay switch. For the engine heat issue, I have a heat exhaust duct on the radiator side of the engine compartment in the hood that sends all the hot engine heat out. I think there are pics in my garage of the setup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.