Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2013 500
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I started hearing a rattling noise coming from the back. Sounded like it was inside the car, but similar to a loose license plate. My plate is held on solidly at all 4 corners.

When I shut the lid, it sounds exactly like a license plate rattle, but that's not it. I checked the back seats thoroughly, couldn't find a thing. I banged on the bumper, taillights, back fenders, exhaust pipe and anything in the vicinity with no luck.

I started thumping the 2 interior panels. When I thumped the bottom panel opposite the license plate, I heard a very slight noise, but nowhere near the original rattle. I popped the clips and removed the carpeted panel. All I saw at the top was a small bundle of wires running from left to right. I started jiggling them and holy Fiats, that was it. As the wires hit the metal frame of the door, that was my rattling noise.

I felt like grabbing them and yanking them out I was so aggravated chasing that rattle for weeks and weeks. I got some zip ties and Gorilla tape, zip tied them together in 3 places and taped the ends to the metal.

Took her for a ride and no more rattle! I opened and slammed the lid shut and nothing noise wise. I looked around for a bottle of bourbon, but couldn't obviously find one. I don't normally drink, but I'd have chugged half that bottle in celebration and relief. I was seriously thinking of selling it or trading it in from the frustration.

Attached is a photo. I haven't trimmed the zip ties yet so they showed in the photo. Doing it myself probably saved me hundreds of dollars compared to having the dealer or mechanic search for it if they could even find it. Don't know why the pic posted twice.

Vehicle Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Vehicle Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

· Registered
Fiat 500 1.3 multijet diesel
2 Posts
Have the same problem in my 2008 fiat 500 strange rattle depending on the road surface, we are rural so some rough roads.
Also changing my front struts one side leaking. Has anyone noticed the collar holding up the rubber dust seal breaking and rattling against the piston shaft, very noisy.

· Registered
2013 500
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes the license plate isn’t tighten down good. It will rattle.
In the first paragraph of my original post, I mentioned that the license plate was tightly secured at all 4 corners. I couldn't make it rattle or make a sound of any kind by pounding on it, pulling on it or staring at it with the meanest, threatening look I could conjure with spittle running down my chin.

I also posted that I found the cause of the rattle, it was some loose bundles of wiring inside the trunk lid. With some zip ties and Gorilla Tape, I secured them and rattling solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts