Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using this PDC set up on my bimmer for a long time now, and I love it.
After I realized that Rear park assist is not available on the Sport, I decided to get a set of this.

BMW License Plate Mounted Park Distance Control Kit-Rear Only
Part # 66210395009
It's available in BMW dealerships from $100 to $140.

This PDC Kit is piratically a universal fit. The installation is simple. The power comes from one of the reverse lights.

All the parts.

Before installation.

Open the tailgate. remove the liftgate door pull and the plastic pins. the pins are pretty hard to remove. I just did the ones circled in red to get enough access.

the chromed tailgate handle is held by 4 nuts from the inside. you can choose to remove theses and then run the wires of the sensors underneath the tailgate handle. but I decided to use another way.

What i did was taking off the bottom right license plate mounting piece and fed the wires through the hole.

the back of the license plate bracket with PDC sensors. make sure the wires are in place.

on a bimmer the bracket is mounted onto the car using the 2 holes circled in green. however the fiat does not have the mounting holes in the gate. so instead I'm gonna use the license plate mounting holes in red, using 4 of the longer screws supplied within the kit. make sure the sensors point downward.

reposition the license plate mounting piece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

now we can connect the power wire of the PDC to the reversing light.
undo the two screws, and pull off the rear light assembly.

undo the plug.

I needed to find out which wire powers the reversing light and which is the ground wire. so I opened the rear light assembly by removing the 4 screws in red.

I found that the wire in gray with thin green stripe is the one powers the reversing light. and the black wire is ground.

undo the screw in red, and peal open the lining.

pry off the rubber seal.

feed the power wire through and tap the wires using hardware supplied within the kit.

connect the buzzer to the PDC control unit.

stick the buzzer to the c-pillar lining using a piece of velcro supplied within the kit.

If u like a super clean installation, u can run the sensor wires through the rubber tube and the inside of the tailgate frame. but i think its gonna be difficult so i just took the easy way and try to hide the wires as well as possible.

plug everything into the PDC control unit, and hide everything behind the lining.

Reassemble everything and u r done!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Thank god this is standard on my car. Too much work and I find it a little strange looking, sorry.

·
Registered
196 Posts
^Really? I think that's a cleaner install than the rings on the bumper, myself. Looks nice.

Reactions: WheelNuts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank god this is standard on my car. Too much work and I find it a little strange looking, sorry.
LOL it's cool, i understand this might not be for everyone. The installation is actually very simple. the whole thing didn't take longer than an oil change. :)

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
You did a good job installing it. Nice photos. Too bad they don't make a after market one that installs in the bumper of the car like OEM.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
great 'How To' thread! for those that find their 500 has too much of a blind-spot, this is a great alternative. price is right too!

GREAT POST! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts