Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FYI It appears that Fiat USA has a lousy vender for their instrument cluster. My 500 Sport had it replaced because the clock would lose time gradually. Now, on my 4 day old Abarth, the tach and shift light on the turbo PSI indicator are malfunctioning. The shift light won't come on and the tach is way off. The speedo is suspect too. I noticed on the Abarth there is no digital number for mph like my Sport has to compare speed. My Garmin GPS indicates it is about 5 mph off. This is troubling as it means time at the dealer - ordering repacement parts etc. Sorry - dropped the r when spelling instrument.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't own my Abarth yet, but from the reviews and whatnot I've watched there is a digital MPH readout within the center instrument cluster. It should be below the Month, and directly across from the outside temperature.

refer to 2:18 in this review and you can see it climbing. http://youtu.be/Qp-OuIZopO4

I'm sorry to hear about this issue. An Abarth owner in a different forum had the same problem, and it had to be sidelined for a couple weeks until they got the new cluster due to the milage having to be set to the exact number it was on when you drop it off. Sounds like a pain. I Hope it gets resolved quickly and you're back to enjoying your Abarth soon.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The MPH showing has to be turned on within the intrument cluster settings. It is not on by default. Also, as far as the shift light is concerned, that only functions when the RPM is brought to redline.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The MPH showing has to be turned on within the intrument cluster settings. It is not on by default. Also, as far as the shift light is concerned, that only functions when the RPM is brought to redline.
@doadea, good to know. I'm going to have to turn that MPH readout on since trying to read the speedo and tach on that concentric gauge can be nauseating. Also, yeah the car must be at/near redline for it to engage, as you can see in that same scene in the video I posted above.

I wonder how many instances of these gauge problems have occurred.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
Do the Abarths not have a rev-limiter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
doadea;52630 as far as the shift light is concerned said:
That is what I meant to say - when I redline it - no light (oops could be not redlining because of faulty tach) sounds like I'm redlining it. I will note this when I see service manager.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
FYI It appears that Fiat USA has a lousy vender for their instrument cluster. My 500 Sport had it replaced because the clock would lose time gradually. Now, on my 4 day old Abarth, the tach and shift light on the turbo PSI indicator are malfunctioning. The shift light won't come on and the tach is way off. The speedo is suspect too. I noticed on the Abarth there is no digital number for mph like my Sport has to compare speed. My Garmin GPS indicates it is about 5 mph off. This is troubling as it means time at the dealer - ordering repacement parts etc. Sorry - dropped the r when spelling instrument.
I have to admit there have been some issues with the instrument clusters for the Fiats; but the speedo issue may not be an issue at all. I have the same concern with my vehicle and my Garmin.. it is about 3 mph off. The reason I found was that the GPS speed is based off of satellite while the speedo for the vehicle is gauged by the PCM, BCM and other various sensors. I was told that there wasnt an issue unless the difference in speed readout reaches to 10 mph. Personally, I just follow the speedometer of the vehicle. At least that what the cops target LOL

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
European rules typically state that the speedo can NEVER read below the actual vehicle speed.

So pretty much all of them read high. The BMW spec is as much as 10% + 2.4 MPH, so at 60 MPH the speedo could be reading as high as 68.4 MPH and be considered "acceptable."

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
PC: Then that may explain why my past vehicles experienced a variance in speed readings.. thank for the info..very helpful. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - FYI - New instrument cluster was ordered as factory unit failed. Will be installed tomorrow by dealer. Walter's Fiat in Riverside, California is an exceptional studio and Studio Service Manager Derrick Lynn is second to none. It is worth driving to this studio for repairs and purchasing - I bought my Abarth at sticker price when some studios are charging above that because of the demand.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Update - FYI - New instrument cluster was ordered as factory unit failed. Will be installed tomorrow by dealer. Walter's Fiat in Riverside, California is an exceptional studio and Studio Service Manager Derrick Lynn is second to none. It is worth driving to this studio for repairs and purchasing - I bought my Abarth at sticker price when some studios are charging above that because of the demand.

Im happy they were finally able to resolve this for you. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: FYI New instrument cluster installed, tachometer working. Instructions from service manager concerning shift light: The shift light is for warning the driver that at red line (6500 rpm) the fuel will be shut off to prevent over-reving the engine. Light will come at approximately 100 rpm below red line. This will allow driver to shift before fuel supply shuts off. The owners manual will be updated later to include this information.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Good to hear about the service at Walter's. I was in contact with them before buying, but ended up at Power Fiat of the South Bay instead. Got a great deal but I have yet to see their service department. If I am not thrilled with them I will check out Walters.

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
My 500 10 months old. Just reset the clock to the right time. It was off 6 minutes. Hope the time on my iPhone was right. Set the 500's time to it. My Garman and Tomtom show differenet speeds to the 500. Are they right, or the 500?

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 500 10 months old. Just reset the clock to the right time. It was off 6 minutes. Hope the time on my iPhone was right. Set the 500's time to it. My Garman and Tomtom show differenet speeds to the 500. Are they right, or the 500?
Most cars don't register perfectly accurate speeds on the speedos. At higher speeds they can be off by 5mph or more. It's normal and the speedo will never register speeds slower than actual - only faster than actual.
The GPS devices are usually right on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most cars don't register perfectly accurate speeds on the speedos. At higher speeds they can be off by 5mph or more. It's normal and the speedo will never register speeds slower than actual - only faster than actual.
The GPS devices are usually right on.
I have read that this is considered normal. It just can't be less than actual speed. 3-5 mph off may save you a ticket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my instrument node go out and someone here posted about a second fuse that controls the brake lights and the node. That was it. Thanks so much. A puzzling wiring: there's a dedicated fuse for the node, but that wasn't it. It was the second one connected to the stop lights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Bluetooth OBDII adapter and digital speed readout from that on my smart phone, including that I have three speedometers in my car and all three are always different. The dial is about 5-7kph off of the digital readout (and no its not the thickness of the needle as the needle never even gets close to the digital readout) and the OBDII speed reading is about 3-5kph off of the digital display.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts