Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the car here so I need to know from those who have gone the CAI route, what is the inside diameter of the elbow that is located up top near the throttle body. I want to retain the elbow for now and just need a reference point. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sorry I'm not in a position to take mine off at the moment to check. Are you making a home-made CIA???

·
Registered
765 Posts
I only ask because I've though about it too...since $300 is a lot for a couple feet of pipe and a filter. My only concern was how to effectively mount the air sensor nub/nipple/pokey out part for the hose

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hose diameter is 1&1/8 inch if that helps.
He is looking for the MAIN diameter of the intake elbow...thats about 3" or so...not the air sensor one...dont let my rambling confuse the issue

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes, but the OTHER end, he said he wants to keep the elbow, isnt the other end much larger...or am I mis-remembering...it has been 2 days since I had mine appart LOL

Reactions: lorvar

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tweak. Mike you're right, I need the other side of that elbow. I would think it's 2.5 inches? Mike I have made setups for some of my other turbo cars befor that may not have looked pretty, but were functional. The Fiat deserves pretty and functional. The goal is to get the coolest feed of air without locating the filter behind the fender liner.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I made one and if you go to a speed shop you can get a hose barb with a rubber grommet to attach the pcv system into the main intake pipe.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I made one and if you go to a speed shop you can get a hose barb with a rubber grommet to attach the pcv system into the main intake pipe.
Got a pic of the set up?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Got a pic of the set up?
car is stored for winter but I need to go and start it very soon to keep oil in the valvetrain. I might go and take a pic/ start it up tonight. I will remove the bung and take a pic. I cannot remember the brand name right now. total cost with a new cheapo filter was $60 for aluminum pipe and bung, filter, silicone coupler and clamps. Note I have ordered a RRM intake to replace this one I made. I havent installed it yet as its in storage.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Hood first is the whole ugly but functional thing.
Next is an upside down shot so you can see the heater hose I got to match up to the stock pcv hose(has the size and brand on it). I used a plastic barb fitting that came in the heater hose kit.
Auto part Engine Fuel line Pipe Vehicle
Most interesting is the metal hose barb I got from a local speed shop.
Finger Hand Technology Thumb Office supplies
it goes into the intake pipe with a rubber grommet(seen in the last photo), other end goes into the hose.
Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Muffler Vehicle
the metal bits are an aluminum pipe from the speed shop, a pipe size changer for exhaust systems, and a silicone coupler with clamps. the filter is probably too small for the car, it is for a 1800cc motorcycle so why not? As I stated before its coming off as I have a RRM intake. and yes the sound was louder and my butt dyno liked my crappy DIY intake.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 1755 first is the whole ugly but functional thing.
Next is an upside down shot so you can see the heater hose I got to match up to the stock pcv hose(has the size and brand on it). I used a plastic barb fitting that came in the heater hose kit.
View attachment 1759
Most interesting is the metal hose barb I got from a local speed shop.
View attachment 1756
it goes into the intake pipe with a rubber grommet(seen in the last photo), other end goes into the hose.
View attachment 1757
the metal bits are an aluminum pipe from the speed shop, a pipe size changer for exhaust systems, and a silicone coupler with clamps. the filter is probably too small for the car, it is for a 1800cc motorcycle so why not? As I stated before its coming off as I have a RRM intake. and yes the sound was louder and my butt dyno liked my crappy DIY intake.
Thanks, really appreciate it. Gives me food for thought.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts