Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure I buy this writer's thoughts and observations 100%, but it is an interesting analysis of the situation facing dealership groups who elected to build Fiat Studio's based on an expectation of multiple models to sell "sooner vs. later" ...

(See the 9/21/2011 "rants" section ...)

http://www.autoextremist.com/

·
Registered
176 Posts
There is nothing in that article I disagree with. Nothing.

I have a 500 based business which I started counting that Fiat was going to bank, in part, on their racing and sports cars heritage. So far all I've seen are sloppy amateurish ads aimed at a crowd that would rather spend their money on Italian loafers than a set of coilovers. My heart finally sunk when I saw that Jlo commercial. Yes, it is the worst car ad in the last decade. Commercials that don't click with their intended audience are bad - commercials that make a buyer want to return the **** product are the epitome of incompetence. I don't think I could make one even if I tried.

The only bits of info that might keep me waking up every morning and moving forward are:

Ms. Soave has subsequently been supplanted by a couple of veteran Chrysler executives...
and

Fiat marketers are scrambling to get new agency partners involved...
...although I haven't heard anything about Soave being replaced. Can anyone confirm and keep me from having an aneurysm at 40?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wouldn't it make sense for Fiat and its dealers to more aggressively incentivize the 500, or to at least be more flexible on pricing during the sale, in order to move more units quickly?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wouldn't it make sense for Fiat and its dealers to more aggressively incentivize the 500, or to at least be more flexible on pricing during the sale, in order to move more units quickly?
Once you offer rebates or discounts on the car it kills resale and you can never go back. To Fiat I say, "hold the line on price and focus on bringing some new models to the US."

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... and price models like the 500 Abarth in a manner that somebody considering (what I would hope are) costlier alternatives like a Mazdaspeed 3, VW GTI, or Ford Focus ST to buy one.

Without going into a ton of detail (because I cannot), every customer of my employer who is involved with making Chrysler components that also bear the Fiat / Alfa / Lancia logo on them is in a "hurry up and wait" model now. Hurry up, and provide your quote to Chrysler because of a rediculous start of production date that passes, then passes again, then passes again, etc.

As a parting comment, even my wife's unsolicited reaction to the J-Lo ad when we both saw it this weekend - during NFL games none the less - was "that does nothing to make me want that car ... nothing".

·
Registered
614 Posts
The JLO commercial didn't really bother me until it was shown for the 15th time in one NFL game.

Epic fail. No one wants to see the same spot at every single break...that was an asinine decision.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love my 500, but the JLo ad did absolutely nothing for me...even the first time through. Fiat should retain whatever agency or agencies that handle VW and Geico.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The JLO commercial didn't really bother me until it was shown for the 15th time in one NFL game.

Epic fail. No one wants to see the same spot at every single break...that was an asinine decision.
when it comes to TV commercials, paid advertisers get any unfilled slots at no charge. FIAT may not have paid for back to back to back to back advertising per se, if the sales team failed to sell the space, it went to FIAT or another paid advertiser by default rather than broadcasting dead space.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting article but my guess is there are several variations of the 500 that will arrive on our shores next year. I was having my 500 service today and noticed a EV charging station (that said Fiat on it unit) on a far wall and I asked what it was for and the service advisor said for the 500 EV that is coming. Fiat/Chrysler owns my dealership so they probably have some idea about whats coming.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi,

This is just getting kind of silly. There is nothing wrong with the commercial. Of course I can understand that some people may like it and some not, but its hardly the worst car commercial that I've ever seen.

However, there does seem to be a fair number of people on the internet, making all sorts of dire predictions because they don't like it. It would be nice if people who make such claims that its ruining Fiat's market or that key people (like Ms. Soave) are being replaced etc would actually provide some backup. Otherwise they just sound like alot of dis-contented people that you often times run across on the internet that think that bluff and anger makes them correct rather than any actual information.

Regards

Pat

PS. For the record, I've only seen the commercial a couple times, but I actually kind of like it. I think that it actually shows off the car fairly well, rather than it just being drowned out in the background like some people on the internet have suggested. And no, I' not really a J Lo fan as I'm not really familiar with her works. (I tend to like Green Day, the Gin Blossoms, Morrissey, the Smiths, The Cure, Roxie Music, The Talking Heads, Pink floyd and the like much more).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Their marketing is single-handedly making me second guess my purchase. It's my first new vehicle I've ever owned and I was excited at the idea of owning a fun to drive, Italian-sourced car that got awesome gas mileage and also had a good warranty. However, the fact that they are selling the car to people who live in malls and honestly probably already drive Range Rover Sports anyways is appalling. I'll let the JLo ad slide, but now they've got a Gucci model and Facebook posts about what fashion designers think about a car when they probably take the subway anyways. Chrysler is going to regret it when the styling becomes dated like the PT Cruiser and there is no brand reputation to fall back on. However, based on lack of corporate response to negative feedback, I'm assuming they're too busy rifling through the pages of the next Abercrombie catalog to care.

·
Registered
614 Posts
when it comes to TV commercials, paid advertisers get any unfilled slots at no charge. FIAT may not have paid for back to back to back to back advertising per se, if the sales team failed to sell the space, it went to FIAT or another paid advertiser by default rather than broadcasting dead space.
There's no way that many NFL slots go unfilled.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was playing Forza 3 this week-end and took an Alfa Quadrifoglio for a spin. And I remembered why I wanted an Italian car, because my wife told me.

"Italians are passionate at *everything* they do".

She's right. The 500 is all about passion. Focus the ads on what this car does best: captivate the senses. Give it a richer exhaust tone - I don't care if there's more power. Make the car as desirable as an italian (male or female). Make the MINI look as desirable as a warm beer...

·
Registered
614 Posts
I didn't realize it, but my wife said the commercial was lifted from a video...after watching the whole thing on youtube, it makes a bit more sense.

I'm not a JLO fan (but she is) and am indifferent to the spot. She liked the spot but agreed with me about the overkill factor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think everyone is getting to excited, the J Lo ad did just what it was supposed to do, get people talking. The car has only been here for about 6 months and everyone Is screaming for new products, these things take time. The gucci thing is to let people know the Italian connection in a short amount of time. I have been in the car business for 33 years and work at a jaguar land rover dealership and let me tell you, these buyers are not looking at fiats. I will say this, I love my 500 and the J Lo ad did not offend me at all. It's a fine little car at a good price, so everyone relax and enjoy the fun.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Anyone who second guesses a major purchase because of a TV ad and then expresses their disgust that rich people who shop at the Mall might also want to own the car needs to seriously rethink ever buying anything else ever again. Really?

Hey, I'm not a Range Rover guy (Subaru Outback Limited and Can Am -- is that close?) and maybe not the best judge of all things Fiat, but the sales are good, the company is going out of it's way to go after a broad demographic, and has an opportunity to capture a substantial piece of the growing small car market.

In a conversation with the manager of my dealership, he talked about the number of sales he has made to "rich kids" in high school and college. So, at age 61 should I begin to rethink my purchase because there may be more younger drivers than old geezers?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Anyone who second guesses a major purchase because of a TV ad and then expresses their disgust that rich people who shop at the Mall might also want to own the car needs to seriously rethink ever buying anything else ever again. Really?

Hey, I'm not a Range Rover guy (Subaru Outback Limited and Can Am -- is that close?) and maybe not the best judge of all things Fiat, but the sales are good, the company is going out of it's way to go after a broad demographic, and has an opportunity to capture a substantial piece of the growing small car market.

In a conversation with the manager of my dealership, he talked about the number of sales he has made to "rich kids" in high school and college. So, at age 61 should I begin to rethink my purchase because there may be more younger drivers than old geezers?
I think the broad demographics that are drawn to the 500 is very cool.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I was excited at the idea of owning a fun to drive, Italian-sourced car that got awesome gas mileage and also had a good warranty
How does that commercial make your car any less fun to drive, any less Italian-sourced, reduce the gas mileage or affect the warranty? It's the same car you bought before that ad aired.

I get the overkill factor, and somewhat agree with it, but statements like the above just leave me befuddled.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.