Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my daughters 2009 Fiat 500 pop has developed an intermittent starting problem, when turning the key it does nothing, no click or cranking, just the clicking from the relay/ fuse box. I have WD40 the connections on all the relays, and the starter motor looks new said the guy in the garage, all connections seem to be tight, any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In addition all the lights come up on the dash, and it only happens occasionally, though it seems to be getting more often.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "all the lights come up". This being a 2009(?) I assume this is a EU car. This is what I'd do, if it were mine.

For the Mexican built cars, the first step would be to load test the battery. Sometimes a battery can be weak. You could also pull the battery tray and clean/check all the connections under it. Some owners have found loose or corroded connectors.

If that is not the problem, then it's back to basic trouble shooting. The starter relay contacts could be failing, for instance. Less likely could be the starter, of course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi map, by " all the lights come up" I mean that the lights on the dash all illuminate as normal when the key is turned, and yes it is a UK car.
I was told today by a mechanic that it is most likely the starter motor?
I was told that there is no relay in the circuit for this car, but could be the solenoid which is part of the starter motor? So many conflicting solutions!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts