Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm in the US & pretty serious about buying a new 500. Pop. Manual. Love it.

I've test driven it twice now, and the last time I decided to put the Bose audio system to the test and brought along a USB cord for my iPhone 3Gs, which from all reports is supposedly a compatible match.

Unfortunately, the system saw the phone but couldn't do anything more than play the current song in the iPod app. No matter what I, and eventually the entire (very patient) sales and support staff at the dealership tried, we couldn't get it to see playlists, albums or more than one song. I couldn't even skip a track.

The dealer eventually said he'd find out what he could from Fiat officially. The word? Some phones work, some don't. Sorry! Googling the issue turns up a small and quiet number of people with varying degrees of failure and success around the world.

It's such a small thing, but it makes me nervous about the quality of Blue&Me system, how long it's going to be supported, the frequency of software updates and the knowledge of the people Fiat is hiring to help with these things.

Is anyone here in a similar situation? Anyone found any solutions that work, or ways to work around it?

I just know if I had that usb port staring at me all the time without being able to use it, it would drive me bitter about the whole thing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
New member here also wondering the same thing! I'm looking at buying the 500C for my wife and her #1 requirement is that she be able to plug in her iPhone and play her music through the head unit. This is something that she can currently do on her Scion. Would love to hear some confirmation on this from 500 owners with iPhone 3GS or 4 :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Related, but not exactly the same - I have a Pop with the basic sound system (no B&me). Even though my car has a USB port, it's inoperable. What I found out is that with the basic sound system, the USB isn't enabled - my guess is they use the same USB/aux jack regardless of the sound system.

Anyway, I can use the aux jack, but no charging at the same time, no playlists, only volume control from the stereo. Aggravating, but I went back over my feature list, and it doesn't mention the USB, just the aux jack, so I don't feel cheated.

Ryan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Related, but not exactly the same - I have a Pop with the basic sound system (no B&me). Even though my car has a USB port, it's inoperable. What I found out is that with the basic sound system, the USB isn't enabled - my guess is they use the same USB/aux jack regardless of the sound system.

Anyway, I can use the aux jack, but no charging at the same time, no playlists, only volume control from the stereo. Aggravating, but I went back over my feature list, and it doesn't mention the USB, just the aux jack, so I don't feel cheated.

Ryan
Hmm... maybe it's different for the 500, but for the 500c Fiat shows Blue and Me and USB as standard options on both the Pop and Lounge.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yes, there's a difference between the basic sound system that comes without a Pop and the the Blue&Me hands-free system that comes on the Sport, C, and Lounge. My comment was about the basic system on the Pop.

As far as the Blue&Me system, I've read that there are some people who are having problems with it. I think there's even an older thread here from another owner. However, there are also people who are getting it to work with no problem. It seems to be picky.

Best thing is to take a cable and your device(s) with you when you drive one and check it out first.

Ryan

·
Registered
818 Posts
Spoon, your comment intrigued me, so I went out to "Build Your Own" on the FIAT website and you're right. Blue&Me is now listed as a standard feature for Pops.

I contacted the dealer who confirmed that for any car ordered after May 5th, Blue&Me is standard, before May 5th, it was an upgrade.

Fortunately, I don't want Blue&Me, I don't plan on trading my car in, ever, so I don't feel too bad. I would be royally upset if I had purchased the upgrade when I ordered mine in March, only to have them start including them two months later.

Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts