Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Sorry about the misspelling in the title; Is a Fiat 500 with AWD on the way or not?

A Fiat 500 with AWD being tested

I saw this article about a Fiat 500 with AWD being spied in testing earlier this year HERE. Does anybody know if an AWD model is on the way or not? Living in a VERY snowy part of the midwest means that AWD is a MUST-HAVE. If they come out with a model with AWD, I'll be the first in line to buy one. If they don't come out with an AWD model soon, I'm going to have to start looking elsewhere :(

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
First, I've heard of it. Would be really nice in snowy areas. Gas mileage would really take a big ding.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Jeeez. Get over it already. VW has been announcing AWD golfs for over 20 years with none making it to North America. I already told you, the Suzuki SX4 which is a rebadged Fiat is the closest you'll probably get to one for the foreseeable future.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
if you visit the FIAT USA site and use the Build your 500 feature, one of the criteria that comes up is "FWD", which it didn't before. the new site is much like the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge sites. if you check out the Jeep site and Build your Jeep, the Patriot and Compass also list "FWD" and "4WD".

so an AWD or 4WD 500 may very well be on the way to the U.S.....;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Honestly, with all the "that thing's a death trap" nonsense so many people spew, having an AWD version would probably help tremendously.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Honestly, with all the "that thing's a death trap" nonsense so many people spew, having an AWD version would probably help tremendously.
Yup, those AWD Lada's certainly turned around their reputation (or not.)

Look, while the AWD would help you avoid getting stuck in a snow bank or an icy incline, it won't make the car any 'safer'. It will handle turns better on mildly bad roads, but if the roads are sheer, it won't offer much avoidance protection, and obviously doesn't help panic braking. More importantly, you have to factor in all the bad drivers running around in the RWD cars with summer or all season tires. Winter conditions make it a much riskier proposition to be on the road. Personally, I'll be driving my old A4 during the winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts