Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a lemon, they can't determine exactly why my car will intermittently not start. Their diagnostic equipment doesn't raise any alarms. Disappointing for a vehicle I've owned for 2 weeks. It happens to the best of cars, I know, but depending on how Fiat handles this situation I've gone from total Fiat fan to borderline buyers remorse. I should hear back from the dealership in the next hour or two while they get some help from Fiat corporate on this "mystery." Is it too much to ask them to give me a new one based on a problem that they can't figure out?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fiatftw, Who's paying whom here? You paid, Fiat -- they didn't pay you to buy the car did they? Nope. Case closed. Get a new car, or a refund - based on what you decide. The customer is always right - and believe you me, I am a Professional Customer. When I want something relating to business as it relates to my getting a sour deal - no one, and I mean no one will tell me I'm off base with a product or a service. I will either get my money back, a new product or a service replaced with more time they'd owe me.

You're in charge here, not them. No matter what they say - keep your focus, keep your purpose and keep your poise and cool. Show passion, even anger if you need to - with control and you will win this battle. Now go!

And compensatory damages as well - for your time and trouble. Meaning, write up a "Claim" explaining why you want not just a refund, but an amount of cash, for your trouble, based on your time (and how that equates) to the time you'd have spent earning your normal living. Example, if you make $60 an hour - how many hours did you spend at the dealership or on the phone, or emailing or online researching various websites; which equates into say 15 hours. What's 15 x 60? $900.00!

When I wrote my own claim for a collision I was involved in, 2010 - I had to write a document, (which ended up weighing) with all the copies of various things I had to do, 1.5 pounds. Paper equals cash with companies. Don't take a back seat to your situation - if you do - they'll be happy you gave up. If you don't give up - you'll get what you want - and then some - honestly and justly. ...for what that's worth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought a lemon, they can't determine exactly why my car will intermittently not start. Their diagnostic equipment doesn't raise any alarms. Disappointing for a vehicle I've owned for 2 weeks. It happens to the best of cars, I know, but depending on how Fiat handles this situation I've gone from total Fiat fan to borderline buyers remorse. I should hear back from the dealership in the next hour or two while they get some help from Fiat corporate on this "mystery." Is it too much to ask them to give me a new one based on a problem that they can't figure out?
You should read up on Lemon Law requirements. Then you should also contact Fiat USA directly. Let the Fiat Manufacturer representatives put pressure on your local Fiat studio.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You should read up on Lemon Law requirements. Then you should also contact Fiat USA directly. Let the Fiat Manufacturer representatives put pressure on your local Fiat studio.
Definitely. I think it requires the same issue three times with no results to be considered a lemon. I'm not positive on the fine print tho.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You should absolutley be expecting to recieve a new one. A car that is brand new with a mystery problem like that is un acceptable. Buying used cars is buyers beware but buying a new car from a reputable company, there is a level of expectation people expect when buying new.

My 500 has 12,000 KMS on it and its been 100% flawless. It seems that so far the 500 is turning out to be a well built, reliable car. Like other said I would contact Fiat US directly, and dont take no for an answer

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Must be something to this. 2 cars on the dealership lot, when I was looking. Wouldn't start. The starter crank over. Nothing happen. Both had gas in them too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There was a post about oil pressure droping causing a no start condition. This car needs oil in the valve train to start. I wonder if u have a bad pressure switch or if a switch to full synthetic oil will fix problem. Im not sure if they r running a syn oil on the factory fill. Ive mentioned this before, i think theres something to it.... I dought you will get a new car... Its not a dvd player from costco...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Regarding Lemon Law

Mr. Abarth is correct. I see you are in the Bay Area of CA. Being a licensed CA dealer and having gone through Lemon Law with BMW and Aston Martin I think I can speak with some smidge of authority. Your vehicle has to go in 5 times for the same issue, not three. Keep track of days out of service and remember to always have the overlay of safety as an issue. (A non starting car can be a safety issue) You do have to work your way through the proper sequencing in order to arrive at the Lemon door. There is a quality firm in downtown SF and beware of the sleezeball lemon law lawyers out there. I would recommend getting the "rules" off the web and stay away from the law firms though. You really don't need them.
Best of Luck
Rick
HotFIAT.com

·
Registered
475 Posts
Regardless of number of times at the dealer and whether or not an arbitrator might deem a "no start" situation as a safety-related defect, you have an "implied warranty of merchantability" that you may call upon. This was the model that the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act expanded.

Essentially, an automobile must start, run, stop, etc to be considered an automobile. Insist that your dealer/FIAT provide you with a fresh unit that does so immediately.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Haul that puppy back to the dealer every time at the very hint of that problem and keep any and all documentation to build your case.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Call the local news station to do a story of consumer fraud, hassles and off-putting from the dealership - they'll get you a new car without the Lemon Law. The Squeaky wheel (pun intended) will get you a new Fiat or your money back! Grind away at them like raw beef through a grinder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sorry you got the lemon in your state, I got the one here in Az, same starting issues transmission leaking from day one, mines been in the shop for 32 days since purchase in nov last year, goggle the lemon law for your state and if it qualifies fill out the card you got when you bought your car ,it is in with your owners manual in the glove box, a little white and blue booklet titled owners rights under state lemon laws. Follow the steps and lets get our money back Yea1

·
Registered
73 Posts
sorry you got the lemon in your state, I got the one here in Az, same starting issues transmission leaking from day one, mines been in the shop for 32 days since purchase in nov last year, goggle the lemon law for your state and if it qualifies fill out the card you got when you bought your car ,it is in with your owners manual in the glove box, a little white and blue booklet titled owners rights under state lemon laws. Follow the steps and lets get our money back Yea1
Nope I have the one in AZ, 440 miles and the clutch dropped to the floor, brought the car in @ 527 miles. We are now going on week 3 and its still not fixed. Week 1 clutch slave cylinder, week 2 clutch master cylinder, today clutch and pressure plate is going to be ordered, that's 15 days out of service and counting for the same issue..............., I think next week will be...... transmission has to be ordered...............

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey fast gas car, sorry you got an az lemon too boo ! the good news is you are well on your way to the 30 day mark, when you get there they will give you a new car in the fiat Chrysler dodge or jeep line, I chose to get another 500 pop in blue I really love driving the car and the 40 plus mpg, hoping for better luck on the gweeedo part 2 !

·
Registered
73 Posts
hey fast gas car, sorry you got an az lemon too boo ! the good news is you are well on your way to the 30 day mark, when you get there they will give you a new car in the fiat Chrysler dodge or jeep line, I chose to get another 500 pop in blue I really love driving the car and the 40 plus mpg, hoping for better luck on the gweeedo part 2 !
Evan I was offered the option also, but decided not to exercise that option @ this time, as you know its not a simple "drop off the key and pick up the key" you have to do a little legwork in order for you to do that, you need to find a vehicle with the "exact" same MSRP and being mine didn't have any options but the black mirror caps and stripe kit it would have been more $ out of my pocket, so I had my dealer continue to work on the issue since the car only had 527 miles @ check in. After a clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, the decision was made to pull the clutch and pressure plate. There was an extra pressure plate bolt found between the pressure plate and clutch disc causing the fingers on the pressure plate to hang up when it would heat up. I am finally back on the road, so hopefully the issue has been fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts