Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Shift gears yourself.I alway run my 500 (automatic) in sport mode but not on automatic shifting,i shift the gears!!
I shift the gears also, but if I hit the sport mode, sometimes it bounces off the redline and won't shift right away. I never use sport mode anymore, got use to the steering adjusting to my speed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well according to the manual of the fiat 2012;

the sport mode increases steering feedback to the driver with slight increase in effort and throttle pedal to engine responses, changes to teh transmission for more agressive shifting will occur in automatic transmission versions.

nothing about suspensing being tighter

Now I have the auto 6 + sequential shifter option and I have noted;
in automatic mode, non sport, it is just nice ride
in automatic mode, sport mode, it revs higher and shifts quicker

in sequential manual mode: results seem the same as above

the steering possibly feels a little stiffer I see little differences except when cornering (more like a go-kart response to me)

The ride otherwize in both cases seem the same.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a manual in my car and i've noticed sport mode really changes the throttle response and steering feel. It's definitely more fun to drive in sport mode!

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
I normally drive in none sport. The steering feels better to me. Has a artificial feel to me. Maybe if I were on a 2 lane curvy road, I'd use the sport mode. I could live without this feature. I do notice it shifts quicker.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I find sport mode very useful when in slow moving stop go rush hour traffic in my automatic. Sport mode holds the low hears, and lets me not have to brake as much...I can just let off the gas a bit and the car slows down.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I virtually always use sport mode for improvement in both the steering and throttle response. I still get 40+mpg with my manual Sport model, even with less than 600 miles on it and some spirited driving. The only time I switch it off is when driving on concrete freeways with striated grooves that cause the tires to follow them. The steering during sport mode is then too sensitive, causing over-correction. Turn it off, and the car's direction hunting largely settles down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use sport mostly when not on the motorway, but I use it there as well, just much less. Non-sport mode is good for just farting along the motorway.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
LOVE Sport mode for city driving and non Sport for highway usage...sometimes, kinda have the habit of clicking the Sport each time and don't often do much real highway travel. Plus it adds to the effect I am/was after with my mods so of course I'll be using it almost always. If you haven't yet tried it maybe you should michaelo...I know a guy locally that owns a Pop and he hasn't ever tried it either though and he had his before me (which is the first I ever saw in person and led me to look into and eventually buy one).

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
This is an early impression, but to me the car seems to drive better with Sport Mode OFF...
Wow very interesting the different feedback - to me, non-sport steering feels too over boosted. Wish I had the option of having it stick on restart... throttle change is obvious to me, but it comes second to the improved (to me) steering feel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, very interesting different perceptions and experiences. I have a POP with AT. I use Sport Mode always on the highway. It really does tighten up the steering and change the acceleration. I feel like I have more control over the car. I turn it off when driving around town. If I forget to turn it off, turning onto a street or pulling into my driveway...it's much harder to turn the steering wheel. It's difficult for me to see how that would work well (at least with an AT) when driving in town and making sharp turns all the time.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Yes, very interesting different perceptions and experiences. I have a POP with AT. I use Sport Mode always on the highway. It really does tighten up the steering and change the acceleration. I feel like I have more control over the car. I turn it off when driving around town. If I forget to turn it off, turning onto a street or pulling into my driveway...it's much harder to turn the steering wheel. It's difficult for me to see how that would work well (at least with an AT) when driving in town and making sharp turns all the time.
Have you tried highway driving with Sport Mode OFF? The reason I ask is that someone who should know posted elsewhere that the steering is speed sensitive and actually 'tightens' as speed increases even if in NON Sport Mode. I can't confirm that because I drive almost exclusively with Sport Mode OFF. You can get in some pretty compromising situations if you get used to using Sport Mode and then forget to engage it and try pulling out in traffic!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a manual in my car and i've noticed sport mode really changes the throttle response and steering feel. It's definitely more fun to drive in sport mode!
Me to.:) I love the improved throttle response in sport.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a Lounge AT and I don't think it will shift into 6th with Sport on, so i think it would hurt gas mileage. Does anyone know if it gets into overdrive in Sport mode? It will shift into 6th manually, but I am talking automatic.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
@ SD, I agree about getting into traffic and forgetting Sport mode, but you remember QUICKLY...lol. As for the comment about Sport mode and sixth gear, it will ship at right around 62-64 MPH BP, without you having to shift it manually, I toyed with it A LOT since the upgrades in both modes and on many many occasions it shifts to sixth fine with Sport on. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
So sport mode will not be a big change in MPG? It seems to me that I have to depress the pedal more in non sport mode, which makes me feel like I am using more fuel. Have not had the car long enough to know much about mileage, just filled it up for the first time on monday

·
Registered
962 Posts
LOVE Sport mode for city driving and non Sport for highway usage
I tried city driving in sports mode and it is horrible, the steering is tight and the transmission/throttle is jumpy.., who wants that?? It also seems to waste gas. If anything maybe on the highway it's better.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
I tried city driving in sports mode and it is horrible, the steering is tight and the transmission/throttle is jumpy.., who wants that?? It also seems to waste gas. If anything maybe on the highway it's better.
I enjoy it in the city because it allows me to put myself where I need and want to be easier, navigating traffic and such is made easier when you get the results quicker, for me that means Sport mode is almost always to be on, more on than off is my preference.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts