Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worried about the low rating safety score of pre July,2011 made fiat 500. Seems to have a major flaw of the driver seat. Any comment of the safety issue for pre July made ones?

I made a deposit on a pop model yesterday, didn't realize it was made before July this year, am I able to refund this deposit if I change my mind?

I also noticed there is discount going on for those one made before July, and I was told all the new models made after July come with Blue-Me, is this true?

Many thanks, folks!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
yes, the early run of Pop models did not have the Blue & Me as standard equipment, so they're offering a discount/rebate on them. I believe I've read it was $1500.

as for the safety of the car, I'm good with it. my car was built on July 4th, just before the design change for the drivers seat. according to everything I've read, a change was made but as late as last month, the FIAT parts catalogs showed no change in parts from models made pre-July to those made in November. the parts catalogs that Chrysler/FIAT use are updated nightly so there should have been shown a part number change or a TSB attached to at least one of the seat parts. maybe it was just a simply 'respositioning' of the seat where it mounts to the floor that was done.

but if there was a change in a part or parts, then I would think I could upgrade my Sport to have the added protection afforded the ones built later.

if anyone knows, for sure, what parts were redesigned/changed, etc., pls post it and I can see what's what with the parts. but so far all I've read is the drivers seat had been redesigned. ?

regarding your deposit on the Pop, I would think you could change which model you want and choose another Pop, made later in the year to get the Blue & Me feature AND the "updated drivers seat" but you will lose your early Pop discount/rebate. guess it just depends on what's important to you........the $$ or the safety and Blue & Me. for me the Blue & Me would be totally worth it.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
My car was made July. No safety issues. I'll let you know, if someone hits me. Really could care less. This car is sooooooo much fun to drive. Hope you enjoy the Pop you buy.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Mine is pre July. I took it by the dealer and they did a thorough inspection and found that my driver's seat was inside the car and that I was protected by air bags and a seat belt. Some previous models had the drivers seat mounted outside of the car. Most of those models have been identified and fixed under a voluntary recall. I had read a previous post on another forum about someone who had a 500 pre July build date that had a suspect seat. He first became suspicious when he was being hit with road debris and got wet when it rained. His has since been fixed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine is pre July. I took it by the dealer and they did a thorough inspection and found that my driver's seat was inside the car and that I was protected by air bags and a seat belt. Some previous models had the drivers seat mounted outside of the car. Most of those models have been identified and fixed under a voluntary recall. I had read a previous post on another forum about someone who had a 500 pre July build date that had a suspect seat. He first became suspicious when he was being hit with road debris and got wet when it rained. His has since been fixed.
Yeah, that was one of the folks that said that they had no problem with the headroom with their sunroof.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd like to see Fiat USA chime in on this subject (anywhere) so it can put any concerns to rest... a lot of people, rightfully, seem to be worried.
Perhaps, but it would be a very bad idea on their part, in terms of legal liability.

Some changes were made, but that doesn't mean the earlier cars are death traps. Pre-July owners needn't live in Pinto-like terror, nor should later owners drive like they've got Sherman tanks.

Reactions: SeaDawg

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
ok "Mr Pickles", now you're just gherkin us around. :p

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Took the 500 in for first oil change and they mentioned the door connection needs tightening and told me that FIAT does not recommend use of synthetic oil, they said no one there had any information or clue what seat related issues exist or that there has been any changes. Figured I'd share that info for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
if the pre july seats had a strut that broke allowing the test dummies head to strike the steering wheel through the airbag, thus causing the poorer scores, id say that is something most of us should be concerned about.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Took the 500 in for first oil change and they mentioned the door connection needs tightening and told me that FIAT does not recommend use of synthetic oil, they said no one there had any information or clue what seat related issues exist or that there has been any changes. Figured I'd share that info for what it's worth.
really? odd....I changed my oil/filter at 4000 miles and went with Pennzoil 5w30 Platinum Synthetic. getting it changed again tomorrow at 8000 miles and I plan on doing the same again.

after that, I think I would be good for every 8000 miles OR when the maintenance light comes on, whichever occurs first. I'm just paying the difference between their dino oil and the synthetic.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Of course Fiat doesn't recommend it. If they recommended the use of synthetic oil then they would have to provide it for our free oil changes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
And aside from the door bolt needing to be tightened, I'm going to declare that everything else they told you was 100% worthless.

So, you can believe them roughly 33% of the time.
Sounds about right with most dealers I've dealt with.

BC.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a pre-July Pop with no Blue&Me and have had no issues with anything so far.

There should be a discount - mine was $500 (I got more - so fight them) and with it being the end of the year, you should be able to trick them into more. But then again, you put a deposit down so they know you want it, I suppose.

Anyhow, I don't have any issues with the safety. I also haven't gotten into a crash. :/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks you all for the comments and experiences!

Well, i 'd prefer to go for the new model made after July, with Blue&Me and more modern-looking new exhaust as standard equipment. This small cutie is not cheap, so y not get sth more safe theoretically. Anyway, safe drive is the priority!

Ya, apparently, dealers are offering $500 off for earlier model and another $500 incentive for purchasing before Jan 3, 2012.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Worried about the low rating safety score of pre July,2011 made fiat 500. Seems to have a major flaw of the driver seat. Any comment of the safety issue for pre July made ones?

I made a deposit on a pop model yesterday, didn't realize it was made before July this year, am I able to refund this deposit if I change my mind?

I also noticed there is discount going on for those one made before July, and I was told all the new models made after July come with Blue-Me, is this true?

Many thanks, folks!
I think if you ran the numbers, your driving habits are much more critical to your survival than the shape of metal pieces in the car's seat. Yes, the pre-July models lack Blue + Me. If you hustle down to Alexandria Va, and you forgo the 3 year free maintenance, and you keep them from up-selling you, you can scoop up the base model for 14,500 ! What a country!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
the pre july 500's should be discounted heavily.

-they have a seat design that may allow your head to be stopped by the steering wheel rather than the airbag in a frontal collision (that is so pre 1998)

-many dont have the blue and me

-they have been sitting around a long, long time

1 - 20 of 34 Posts