Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering a 500e and was wondering if the touchscreen is worth considering. Does it display any especially useful information regarding the EV functions or is it mostly for music and nav? I actually like the retro look of the non-touchscreen dash better but I've been reading that the TomTomGo (if it's still with the car) isn't very useful and obstructs your view somewhat.

I listen to most of my music through USB thumb drives so that might be a reason to lean towards the newer years with a touchscreen. Is the non-touchscreen version difficult to navigate through your music collection?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,849 Posts
I own a 2013 & my friend leased a later model with touchscreen (but no nav or backup camera). That one has a nice knob for volume, but I mostly just use the fingertip buttons on the back of the 2013 steering wheel anyway. My music thumbdrive lives in my 2013 glovebox USB, working perfectly there.

I also prefer the 3-cup holder of the early model, & a tiny adapter in the 12V socket charges my phone faster than the glovebox USB (not sure about the later model's USBs)

IF the TomTom is still with the car, IT provides somewhat useful EV function info, but I'm almost positive that the touchscreen does not. Mine came with no TomTom, but the mount works great for my cell, without obstructing my view (in landscape mode) & I listen to YouTube tunes from it with an audio cord to the glovebox aux input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great info, thanks! Good to know that the TomTom does provide some useful info.

I haven't been able to find a lot of info regarding the touchscreen on the 500e since most of the reviews are for the early years.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,849 Posts
The only flashdrive music navigation I know of without touchscreen is "next", but you could navigate with your phone if you put the music on it & connect the output to "aux" in the glovebox.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wasn't for me. I have a newer year and the first project I did was to remove the touch screen and replace it with something bigger and more capable. Stock is a low quality 5" display with limited features. Touch was unresponsive often taking many pokes to register. I reckon you'd be able to navigate your USB music much more easily, but it's a very basic unit both in multimedia capabilities and specific info you'd might want.

For example, most EVs have some sort of technical detail about the battery, driving history, etc. Not so with the UConnect 5.0 system. The only thing vehicle specific seems to be the settings. It has built in nav, but compared to even the wife's Subaru nav its lacking. Waze/Google/Apple Maps are of course industry leaders but you cannot display those with the factory touch screen radio.

Adding something better is relatively easy, with the older models probably being the better choice. Happy to elaborate why if thats what you'd be doing. This 1 minute video covers it almost entirely

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think the bigger thing to consider is one without a touch screen will be 5 years old, out of bumper to bumper warranty, and have at most 3 years left on the battery warranty.
If it is in your budget, a newly returned 2017 with a year left on the bumper to bumper warranty and 5 years left on the battery warranty might be a better choice.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
427 Posts
Like Kiesling says it’s better to get the newest low mile one you can afford there isn’t a huge price difference between a 2013-2015 vs what I paid for my 2017. It’s within few hundred but worth having the warranty. I know I’ve used it a couple times already it is a fiat after all not a Corolla.

·
Registered
165 Posts
As stated above, if looking to purchase a 500e, there is not a huge price difference between an early year or one fresh off of lease. 2017 models are currently widely available at great prices. You would still have up to a year of bumper to bumper warranty left and have 5 years of battery pack warranty.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,849 Posts
Good points: I did get 2 headlight bulbs on warranty, plus a brake light & side marker. Plus any extra HV batt warranty also wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wasn't for me. I have a newer year and the first project I did was to remove the touch screen and replace it with something bigger and more capable. Stock is a low quality 5" display with limited features. Touch was unresponsive often taking many pokes to register. I reckon you'd be able to navigate your USB music much more easily, but it's a very basic unit both in multimedia capabilities and specific info you'd might want.

For example, most EVs have some sort of technical detail about the battery, driving history, etc. Not so with the UConnect 5.0 system. The only thing vehicle specific seems to be the settings. It has built in nav, but compared to even the wife's Subaru nav its lacking. Waze/Google/Apple Maps are of course industry leaders but you cannot display those with the factory touch screen radio.

Adding something better is relatively easy, with the older models probably being the better choice. Happy to elaborate why if thats what you'd be doing. This 1 minute video covers it almost entirely
That is great info, thanks!

I do like the look of the dash on earlier models but if the later head unit doesn't provide much useful info and can easily be swapped out then it's not as much of a drawback. Especially if I can get a newer year with some warranty left. It looks like a great little car but I have been spoiled by the reliability of Japanese cars for most of my life so warranty is something that would give some peace of mind. From what I've read here, it sounds like most work can be done by a good mechanic though so that's good to know.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
427 Posts
"Next" & "previous" are literally at your left fingertips on the back of the steering wheel.
Lol I took me a month of ownership to figure out this. I drove the fiat thinking why all these buttons for cruise control and nothing to change songs or stations. I mean yea it’s a small car and reaching for the radio ain’t a big deal but I was spoiled my VW has all these controls. One day sitting at a light I felt something behind the steering wheel kinda felt like Braille I’m like why on earth does a single speed EV have paddle shift buttons?? To my surprise my music tracks change and other side was volume...hurrays that day 😂

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,849 Posts
I had the "advantage" of very strongly feeling the need to immediately read the entire manual, since it's the first car I've bought without a stickshift. Also my first with voice recognition, speed-sensitive wiper delay, heated seats/mirrors, cruise, USB, etc...

Oh, also my first electric ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts