Fiat 500 Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
While Pennzoil might very well be better than Mobil 1 that claim is made on their website, it is not like they'd put up how they were beat by any other brand. They do have a contract with Ferrari though so that may weigh in for some people. Definitely worth considering.
I don't know where you heard that about Mobil1 but Pennzoil Ultra specifies that they are "The only motor oil exclusively recommended by Ferrari North America"

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra-synthetic-oil/

Getting into an oil brand argument is pointless as everyone has their own choice but as many have said, it has been proven that Mobil1 is not a fully syhthetic oil at a premium price (much like Monster cables) and its recommended by manufacturers and some dealers because either they are being paid to do so or they simply don't read anything about oils and simply go with the well known advertised "Mobil1 is the best" and people will follow blindly.

The website that Identity Crisis linked is full of great information, I have been following it for years now. BTW, I have a 2 year supply of German made Castrol 0W30 in my house just for my GTO!

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
I don't know where you heard that about Mobil1 but Pennzoil Ultra specifies that they are "The only motor oil exclusively recommended by Ferrari North America"

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra-synthetic-oil/

Getting into an oil brand argument is pointless as everyone has their own choice but as many have said, it has been proven that Mobil1 is not a fully syhthetic oil at a premium price (much like Monster cables) and its recommended by manufacturers and some dealers because either they are being paid to do so or they simply don't read anything about oils and simply go with the well known advertised "Mobil1 is the best" and people will follow blindly.

The website that Identity Crisis linked is full of great information, I have been following it for years now. BTW, I have a 2 year supply of German made Castrol 0W30 in my house just for my GTO!
I apparently did not make that clear, I was saying that a company is not likely to post negative results about their own products on their own website, also I was stating that Pennzoil is chosen to be used by Ferrari for their cars...perhaps without the exact reason based on previous posts it was taken out of context or I simply was not clear enough.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Mobil 1 not a synthetic oil? Source???

Or are you thinking of Castrol, which some claim is not a true synthetic because it is hydrocracked, versus PAO based like Mobil 1?

But if the final molecule is the same, who cares?

Mobil 1 has been well proven to do the job over many years, by many people. But I run Mobil 1 in some vehicles, Castrol in others,and probably will run Pennzoil in the Abarth.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mobil 1 not a synthetic oil? Source???
I wonder the same thing. I went with Mobil-1 because it was the dealer's most recommended FULL Synthetic.
And it was on sale at O'Reily's the day I bought it....:D

The nearest dealer only stocked some generic oil and some kind of semi-synthetic brand. Forgot what he called it.
But he said if I wanted a full synthetic I'd have to bring it in my self.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts