Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
W all know that Uconnect stops workung after 3 years
I wonder; is it possible (and how?) to pre-heat or pre- cool the car when its on charge?

·
Registered
214 Posts
You've already been presented the options in your other thread you posted in. My500e is the only tool going that does it. Like you, I believe that it costs too much. I might have purchased if it was only the device. In fact I waited until they delivered a WiFi only device. But you still get locked into paying a yearly server fee.

I just wish that companies like FCA would document their canbus protocols so that others could develop their own interfaces. It's not really hidden, just undocumented.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,122 Posts
I'm pretty sure that another forum member, in Oregon, I think, posted that he had the skills to decipher it if someone with My500e volunteered access to their car.

In the mean time, IN-PERSON preconditioning is possible by turning the car on with one key, & locking it in the car with the other key.

Dutchlincoln will probably correctly point out that this is a "stone age" method, but it's our choice to pay the high fee for current tech or save our money using old methods.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I dint mention the my500e option as it was too obvious that its not really an option.

Key in ignition and locking is not a 2016 car worthy also.

I rather expected something like adding a "manual activation" switch like solution, or making your own remote contact with for instance a garage door opener and a relay, or adding a wifi canbus adapter and turning it on with some kind of app like torque or something.

I dont feel comfortable having a key in the ignition just to preheat or cool a car actually. There must be some kind of other tinker solution i guess?

Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is a cheap, low volume, compliance car... built on a bespoke platform. People who buy it are usually just looking to have a little cheap fun. It doesn’t make sense to invest time or money reversing something that few people will use let alone pay for. I am honestly surprised my500e exists at all.

If you are looking for free, you’ll have to keep waiting for someone else to do it -or- gather all the resources and make your own solution top to bottom. I’ve dabbled in the CAN system and have had a little success. It’s tedious and time consuming but if a handful of people put in a few hours here and there you could probably get something ok.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I am honestly surprised my500e exists at all.
It doesn't make sense as a business plan. I suspect that it began as a 500e owner/engineer originally creating it for his own personal use. Like the guy who is selling 500e aerodynamic underbody panels.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It doesn't make sense as a business plan. I suspect that it began as a 500e owner/engineer originally creating it for his own personal use. Like the guy who is selling 500e aerodynamic underbody panels.
I'm pretty sure the my500e guy is making out alright by selling them. Will it make him independently wealthy.... **** no. But for $300 in "hardware" which likely cost ~$40 or less, and $70/yr server fees (which even if he rents an AWS server for it, CAN"T be 70/yr/device) he's making a very healthy profit. It's not a long term, or massive quantity profit... but still a hefty profit considering.

·
Registered
2017 FIAT 500e
1 Posts
Are you all are aware that if UConnect was available there would still be an $11 monthly fee? It was "free" for the first three years but that's what it costs for other FCA cars after the honeymoon. I just ordered the My500e device and am more than happy to pay the fee. I live in Indiana and it gets darn cold here. My car is stored outdoors, so the convenience of preconditioning is worth it to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@Ironhydroxide absolutely - raw costs aren't much. It's all about low volume, high effort, and no other options. I agree with @MondoMojo. It does the basics for people who just want it to just work. I've had one for a few months and don't regret it one bit. I've even used their API to make my own apps and features - but this can only go so far.

I am still personally learning/working on decoding the CAN because I want much more. my500e lacks hardware and software capabilities making certain things impossible or impractical (as confirmed by emailing with creator.) Things like:
  • Offline lock/unlock (to make my proximity lock/unlock faster)
  • Offline precondition (for more complicated/automated cabin conditioning)
  • Performance metrics logged and aggregated (so we can back our performance claims and advice with reliable data)
  • All the lesser messages like SWC, doors, trunk, windows, etc (to tie into for other automations)

·
Registered
153 Posts
@Ironhydroxide absolutely - raw costs aren't much. It's all about low volume, high effort, and no other options. I agree with @MondoMojo. It does the basics for people who just want it to just work. I've had one for a few months and don't regret it one bit. I've even used their API to make my own apps and features - but this can only go so far.

I am still personally learning/working on decoding the CAN because I want much more. my500e lacks hardware and software capabilities making certain things impossible or impractical (as confirmed by emailing with creator.) Things like:
  • Offline lock/unlock (to make my proximity lock/unlock faster)
  • Offline precondition (for more complicated/automated cabin conditioning)
  • Performance metrics logged and aggregated (so we can back our performance claims and advice with reliable data)
  • All the lesser messages like SWC, doors, trunk, windows, etc (to tie into for other automations)
I'd love to work with you on this. I've dabbled a bit in the electronics, its the can addressing where I've not done enough mapping/logging to cobble this together, mostly because my car works and I'm not pushed too much to make it better, even though it'd be a lot more convenient. Also working WITH someone on it means i'm pushed to do more than log and try to decipher every time the car annoys me (when it starts getting cold, when it first is 100+ outside, etc) then drop it once it bores me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts