Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is your 500 a "workout" to drive and stressful or easy and relaxing?

• Are you tuckered out when you finish a drive to work, to the store with you get out of your 500? (bumpy, choppy, noisy or rattling a lot?)
  • Or do you find your 500 easy to drive, comfortable yet sporty, quick - yet refined. Which Fiat to do own as well and any new mods? :eek:
Pop?

Sport?

Lounge?

500c?

Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I rented a Ppop several weeks agod and found that ride to be some what choppy/ jittery. Tested a Sport and found that car to be more comfortable.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I drive a Pop manual. My current office is about 14-15 miles away, in DC, but the company I actually work for is located about 50 miles away in Maryland.

So, my normal commute is into the city, and it can go smoothly or have some bumper to bumper bits in it depending on the time of day and weather, etc. For the most part, that commute has been fine. I remember sitting in traffic, in the rain about a week after buying the car on 395 just thinking about how much I loved the car no matter what the situation (though to be fair, I guess I may have been still just impressed with the newness of the car and all).

In general to me the ride has been very smooth and my only concern is that if I ever get stuck in a really bad storm (like happened last winter, when I was driving my old Matrix, where my normal 45min commute home turned into an 8hr one), my knees my start to really ache, but that would really be the case with any car with a manual transmission.

On my trips up to Maryland, even when I'v hit a bit of bumper to bumper (like last week) they aren't too bad either because once I do hit the open highway there isn't much shifting to do and everything else about the car seems really smooth to me.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember when I drove my buddies MINI a few years ago. The seats were really hard and the drive, wasn't that great. My MGB is way more comfortable and I can take corners at 60 in the B! Now it is a bit of a workout to drive, when I 'get on it'. Otherwise, the seats in the B are very comfy. It has long throws per gear too - compared to new 4 speeds...(my B has Overdrive too).

My girlfriend went out of her way to tell me that today, as we took a two hour cruise in the country in the B, top down! But an MG is a very vintage car, a '79 Roadster...and compared to my Tacoma - the MG is a workout to drive.

When I took the test drive in the auto-trans Sport (or was it a Pop?)...I didn't feel like it was a workout to drive, but I was only in it for about 20 minutes...not long enough to really know. What with the salesman talking in my ear and everything so new, no way to tell. First impression, nice though. I'd want to drive one for a good solid week, day in, day out before I would purchase one - and I must see the crash test results before I buy one - and see how the reliability factors, play out in these next few months.

·
Registered
211 Posts
its a small car with low hp. its a little choppy, u need to shift alot to move the car along, the seats are fine, it dose'nt wander bad, but u need to drive the car. what do u want the car to do...if your looking for a smooth ride with very little driver input i would recommend a v6 camry auto....i have a sport 5spd

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
With the auto tranny I noticed the car definitely needs a lot of shifting, areas with a lot of hills and start/stop I could see frustrating to some, I'm definitely still getting adjusted to the need for more shifting and that's with the auto, I think the Sport button is the "workout" button cause I tend to want to drive more aggressively I find.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I literally don't want to get out of my car (pop auto) because it's so much fun to drive (I dig the auto stick). The cloth seats are surprisingly comfortable and the interior is open and roomy. I'm young and ride solo in the city so it works well with my lifestyle and my personality.

AND my Costco purchases fit into it too!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I rode a motorcycle once for 24 hours straight, over 1500 miles (for fun).
This car is Club Med by comparison. I could drive it all day, every day.

The world has just gone too soft when people call this car "harsh". Jeez.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I drive 100 miles round-trip for my daily commute, mostly highway, some bumper-to-bumper. No complaints on the comfort or ease of the car at all.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I rode a motorcycle once for 24 hours straight, over 1500 miles (for fun).
This car is Club Med by comparison. I could drive it all day, every day.

The world has just gone too soft when people call this car "harsh". Jeez.

Bunburner gold? I had a friend do a 10 10ths and I think he went luny by day 7.

I did a saddle sore about 10 years ago on a Hayabusa. It wasn't that bad.

This car is a cream puff. I have a 500C auto. It's very compliant and aside from the RPMs at higher speeds, it makes a great trip car or car for any extended drive. My only issue is that it shifts a lot. And that, is not really that much of an issue.

Reactions: Hilldweller

·
Registered
475 Posts
Bunburner gold? I had a friend do a 10 10ths and I think he went luny by day 7.

I did a saddle sore about 10 years ago on a Hayabusa. It wasn't that bad.

This car is a cream puff. I have a 500C auto. It's very compliant and aside from the RPMs at higher speeds, it makes a great trip car or car for any extended drive. My only issue is that it shifts a lot. And that, is not really that much of an issue.
Yup, the BBG. I've done a bunch of IB rides on a number of bikes; the BBG was the hardest. I "hit the wall" at about 1200 miles. Multiple 1000 mile days never bothered me.

The frequent shifting of the car reminds me of old bikes, in fact. If you're not old enough to remember when motorcycles had less than 30 HP, you might not understand though. A 'Busa is a far cry (in a pleasant direction) from an 850 Commando or 750 Triumph. Even my first Honda only had 35 HP and used to bog down if I had a passenger.

I like your "cream puff" term. It is. :)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My father in law and I restore old british (and some Japanese) bikes from the 50s and 60s.

Though, I have not toured at any great distance on any of them. Something about riding a Matchless G80 for any amount of time at WOT (and rolling a whole 60mph!) seems like something I'd rather avoid.

I've ridden a lot of bikes with less than 40hp. Honestly, I prefer them. I can "ride" them. I like ringing them out vs. a newer 100 I can't ring out in first without topping 100mph.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
that should have rear "newer 1000s".

·
Banned
762 Posts
Is your 500 a "workout" to drive and stressful or easy and relaxing?

• Are you tuckered out when you finish a drive to work, to the store with you get out of your 500? (bumpy, choppy, noisy or rattling a lot?)

• Or do you find your 500 easy to drive, comfortable yet sporty, quick - yet refined. Which Fiat to do own as well and any new mods? :eek:
Pop?

Sport?

Lounge?

500c?

Thanks!
It definitely isn't a "relaxing" car if that's what you mean...it's engaging...gives lots of feedback, and lets you know it's alive. It's not a long haul car by any means. I must say though on smooth surfaces it's impressively quiet and compliant for a car with such a short wheelbase.

·
Registered
777 Posts
500 sport
its not relaxing its "engaging"
i can leave it on auto and cruise into work or i can go for some spirited driving in sport mode using the autostick and turning the esc off. Either way im happy with the car. Its a much better driver than my old mercedes c class ever was.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mt Abarth is so enjoyable to drive that I find it relaxing, in a sort of energizing way, if that makes sense. I don't find it stressful at all, even on long hauls on the Turnpike. It keeps me way more engaged than my VW golf or my wife's Passat, even though both of those cars are great on the highway. I admit that on bad roads it can be a bit of a pain to have to dodge all of the potholes, but that's a price I'm glad to pay for such responsiveness. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable and "unsmall" the Fiat feels on the highway. And, as other posters have noted, the ride is less harsh than my 2002 Mini was.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
i used to make 150+mile road trips pretty frequently in my silverado. a few weeks ago i made a 600 mile round trip and my only issue was a numb butt (didnt stop until about 280 miles). other than that minor annoyance it was more comfortable than my truck. the only other car ive driven that was as relaxing was a 95 impala ss. my Pop is great and i cannot wait to take another road trip.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts