Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The J Lo commercial was a VERY BAD idea...FIAT are you listening?! Ive been in advertising for over 10 years, and also own a FIAT...Putting J Lo in a commercial basically ruined the brand image before it got started, ill tell you why.

Its a known rule in advertising, "you can market a product to men and women will buy it, but if you market a product to women men wont TOUCH it!" look at MINI...can you imagine J Lo jumping out of one in a commercial whenit first launched, the brand would be RUINED. in fact in their very early advertising, they didn't even show women driving MINIs. FIAT messed up bad, and you'll see what Im talking about as brand perception turns from cool car to chick car FAST!

FIAT you messed up! and the creative director and creative team who put this cutsie J Lo commercial idea together, thanks for ruining the brand, you should know better...

·
Registered
765 Posts
That was a Fiat commercial...I though JLo had a new album or something:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Fiat always has sexy girls standing next to the 500. Pretty girl alway sell cars. Where does Fiat find all those young girls with short skirts? J Lo is no different. Another pretty face. I really don't think much of the concept of that commercial. Really isn't one. Most contemporary car ad's now, don't focus on the car anyway. Marketing dictates the direction of the ad.

Most likely, more women will purchase 500's then men. Because it so darn cute. The Gucci model? Not for men. Abarth model, thats for men. Then, the advertisement can be wrap around performance. Not a sexy girl.

·
Registered
433 Posts
yes, all those men with their gucci watches and gucci loafers are going to ask for their gucci edition 500c preorder deposits back now that JLo has been associated with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Fiat always has sexy girls standing next to the 500. Pretty girl alway sell cars. Where does Fiat find all those young girls with short skirts? J Lo is no different. Another pretty face. I really don't think much of the concept of that commercial. Really isn't one. Most contemporary car ad's now, don't focus on the car anyway. Marketing dictates the direction of the ad.

Most likely, more women will purchase 500's then men. Because it so darn cute. The Gucci model? Not for men. Abarth model, thats for men. Then, the advertisement can be wrap around performance. Not a sexy girl.
I'm sorry Smark, I respect your opinion but I don't agree. Taking a car that already can be perceived as a "hairdresser"s" car and creating a flamboyant J Lo commercial for it is brand suicide...especially in the States

·
Registered
453 Posts
To give Fiat at least a little credit, the "commercial" is really just excerpting the car scenes from her new video which is promoting her new album. I just hope they didn't pay to be in it more than the use of a few cars for filming.

As I said in another thread, I don't like the car less because some ditzy celeb "endorsed" it. Part of me won't mind if the marketing makes the 500 fail in the states... 'cus then there won't be so many. ;-)

·
Registered
175 Posts
The J Lo commercial was a VERY BAD idea...FIAT are you listening?! Ive been in advertising for over 10 years, and also own a FIAT...Putting J Lo in a commercial basically ruined the brand image before it got started, ill tell you why.

Its a known rule in advertising, "you can market a product to men and women will buy it, but if you market a product to women men wont TOUCH it!" look at MINI...can you imagine J Lo jumping out of one in a commercial whenit first launched, the brand would be RUINED. in fact in their very early advertising, they didn't even show women driving MINIs. FIAT messed up bad, and you'll see what Im talking about as brand perception turns from cool car to chick car FAST!

FIAT you messed up! and the creative director and creative team who put this cutsie J Lo commercial idea together, thanks for ruining the brand, you should know better...
What the heck do you know about advertising to be so high and mighty in your views. It's an Italian car and Italian cars and good looking women are synonymous. I already own one, but if I didn't, seeing J Lo pop out of one would not stop me from buying one. After all she was named the most beautiful woman in the world.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What the heck do you know about advertising to be so high and mighty in your views. It's an Italian car and Italian cars and good looking women are synonymous. I already own one, but if I didn't, seeing J Lo pop out of one would not stop me from buying one. After all she was named the most beautiful woman in the world.
I've been in advertising doing traditional and non traditional (interactive, social and new media) for fortune 100 companies for 10+ years. Worked all over the country including Manhattan doing branding for the number one grossing product in the world (think pharma). I've owned 3 MINI coopers and a FIAT 500 Sport. Yes, sometimes companies do make mistakes and the J Lo TV spot is a mistake. There is a difference between good looking women driving one and driving in one (like the FIAT drive in TV Spot). Brand perception is EVERYTHING...

any more questions nero?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Taking a car that already can be perceived as a "hairdresser"s" car and creating a flamboyant J Lo commercial for it is brand suicide...especially in the States
Although I somewhat agree with your point of targeted marketing it doesn't change the fact that this is not a car that CAN be percieved it is a CAR that has ALWAYS been percieved as being a chicks car. Read any review going back before the car was launced in NA or even advertised and the 500 has been synonymous with cute and cute means chicks car. Yet, there are still statistics out there showing that over 60% of the buyers are male. Perhaps FIAT was intending to target woman with this add to even the demographics, who knows.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been in advertising doing traditional and non traditional (interactive, social and new media) for fortune 100 companies for 10+ years. Worked all over the country including Manhattan doing branding for the number one grossing product in the world (think pharma). I've owned 3 MINI coopers and a FIAT 500 Sport. Yes, sometimes companies do make mistakes and the J Lo TV spot is a mistake. There is a difference between good looking women driving one and driving in one (like the FIAT drive in TV Spot). Brand perception is EVERYTHING...

any more questions nero?
I guess time will tell if you are correct or not. I am betting on N O T!!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

Thanks for providing your thoughts, but I'm sure others will have their own opinions as well. For me, I have no problems with the commercial at all. And to be honest, the way I kind of look at things is that if all advertisement people were experts on "perception" then all ads they make would be perfect, but since this doesn't seem to be the case, I'd kind of take anybody's opinion as just another opinion.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
90 Posts

any more questions nero?
The beauty of this is that is all YOUR OPINION, and nothing more. Personally, I like J-lo, she is quite popular, and Fiat is looking to capitalize on that. J-lo has always been very fashion forward, and lets face it, the Fiat is a fashion accessory, not a car.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I do not like the idea that the 500 ad might push for or target woman owners but then I don't let what others think dictate what I like, wouldn't have snagged the Miata if that were the case and if memory serves although that too was a "chick car" as many or more men seem to drive them and they make awesome track cars regardless the sex of the driver so the 500 for me is cool regardless because it looks more unique and isn't as boring as so many other cars on the roads today. I'd be happy if they did some ads with both male and female celebs just so that the general public could maybe not be swayed too much one way or another but again it won't change that I like and enjoy my 500 just the same.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts