Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings ..
I just went to the dealership in San Diego (Carlsbad) yesterday and was informed there are two types of automatic transmission. The sticker either says "Italy" or "Japan" for automatic. Is there a preference?
I'm still on the fence between an auto and standard, I'm 6'0 with big feet, the tip of my shoe keeps dragging when I pull away from clutch. So I'm leaning towards the automatic and using the manual mode where you shift gears by tapping it up or down ..

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's strange, I'd think the Italian is the DuaLogic and the Japanese is the standard 6-sp Aisin. But, when I got my car, the dealer told me the DuaLogic was only available in Italian built cars (yep, they still had one in stock, Italian 500's were sold here for 3 years, or so).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going by there again today and will confirm this. I do remember seeing a label that said "Transmission: Italy"

·
Registered
26 Posts
european is dualogic, a manual transmission with a 'robot' that activates the clutch and changes gears. pretty common here in brazil.

not an auto transmission tough, more like a hack.

·
Registered
124 Posts
And it doesn't look like you've picked one up yet but the automatic robs needed power from the fiat. I'd highly recommend getting a standard. If you ever want to drive on the 52 you're going to need that extra HP to get over the hills into La Jolla or clan-tee.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
And it doesn't look like you've picked one up yet but the automatic robs needed power from the fiat. I'd highly recommend getting a standard. If you ever want to drive on the 52 you're going to need that extra HP to get over the hills into La Jolla or clan-tee.
Hate to disagree with you, but I will anyway. The HP is the same for both auto and manual Fiats. The auto performs nearly the same as the manual if you use the Auto-stick mode as far as rpms, powerbands, torque, etc. The best thing to get more response out of these cars is a go-pedal, or one of the similar products. I suspect that a timing controller would also help. Intakes, exhausts, and bored throttle bodies will also help but are much more invasive modifications.

And my transmission is a Japanese Aisin. The car was built a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm 6 feet tall weigh in at 370 and wear size 13EEEE and have owned and driven a Pop with the 5speed, a Pop with the Auto, and an Abarth, and never had a problem with the pedals or my feet dragging -- You must have some big *** feet!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hate to disagree with you, but I will anyway. The HP is the same for both auto and manual Fiats. The auto performs nearly the same as the manual if you use the Auto-stick mode as far as rpms, powerbands, torque, etc. The best thing to get more response out of these cars is a go-pedal, or one of the similar products. I suspect that a timing controller would also help. Intakes, exhausts, and bored throttle bodies will also help but are much more invasive modifications.

And my transmission is a Japanese Aisin. The car was built a couple of months ago.

Power output is the same at the wheels? That is what I'm referring to. PS starting a comment with I don't mean to be a dick but I'm going to wasn't really necessary. You could have just dropped that first sentence.

"Usually" automatic transmissions consume a larger percentage of power from the engine when delivering it to the wheels compared to a manual transmission. I'd be interested to see if this is different somehow with the fiats. However I suspect it is like all other automatics and the percentage of power loss will be more on the automatic because of the torque converter. And being that a base fiat only has 101hp and 98ftlb of torque its nice to have that extra 5 or so HP since there isn't' much to begin with.

And to give you reference since you're in "the city". The hills on hwy 52 are very much like HWY 17 when heading to Santa Cruz. Plus they are prone to traffic that is comparable to the bay area. Granted smaller windows of traffic and for shorter distances, but traffic for that area none the less.

So I stand by my recommendation for a manual since its more fun to drive and there "feels" to be less power loss in the transmission compared to an automatic.

And the reference to a go-pedal.. I never quiet got that one. Why not just push it down quicker? A quicker foot saves $300... plus it's like snake oil.. the car "feels" faster but you don't have any more HP than before.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
I'm 6 feet tall weigh in at 370 and wear size 13EEEE and have owned and driven a Pop with the 5speed, a Pop with the Auto, and an Abarth, and never had a problem with the pedals or my feet dragging -- You must have some big *** feet!!
The gorilla statement makes more and more sense. :D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
...PS starting a comment with I don't mean to be a dick but I'm going to wasn't really necessary. You could have just dropped that first sentence...

...And the reference to a go-pedal.. I never quiet got that one. Why not just push it down quicker? A quicker foot saves $300... plus it's like snake oil.. the car "feels" faster but you don't have any more HP than before.
I thought that I was being polite. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean that I am a "***&". Name calling like that came out of your mouth, so to speak.

If you would like to emulate the effects of a go-pedal or the like go for it. If I could bet that you couldn't I would.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Manual Transmission: Italian
Automatic: Japan(True FIATs never had an Automatic ie in Europe)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I will have to disagree with you on this one. I had a manual sport and I drove an Auto and the automatic was probably one of the worst Ive ever driven. It made the already slow sport feel that much more sluggish.

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I went to buy mine, Sept. 2011, I never considered the auto, until I found out you couldn't at that time Lounge one out with the standard. I test drove both and felt just the opposite of what Dom felt. The standard felt very econobox and too wide of spacing of gears especially after both cars are rolling. The auto felt much more responsive and I still love the auto and am so glad I have it. I also considered, everytime I tried to trade a standard trans. car in, no matter how optioned out dealers would low ball me because they didn't want standards.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I will have to disagree with you on this one. I had a manual sport and I drove an Auto and the automatic was probably one of the worst Ive ever driven. It made the already slow sport feel that much more sluggish.
Disagreeing is fine with me. I have driven both MT & AT Fiat 500's. To be honest I think that they both suck without enhancements to get better performance. Luckily I found that it doesn't take much to get that little bit extra. Also the gear ratios are mostly closer in the AT than in the MT. I like that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
people down here complain about the engine revving up to 4000 when doing only 120 km/h on the motorway... no such thing on my auto, revs a lot less.

but it surely 'feels' sluggish if you don't hit the gas for good... then the thing wakes up :-D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts