Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,i'm in a difficult place here, i really want a fiat,i've wanted one since day 1.i really want the abarth but do i really want to wait almost a year for 70 horsepower? i was looking at pics of the pop and sport and just curious how the regular ones drive? and whats the heater block option on the fiat build your own option?just give your opinons cuz i'm going crazy here..lol do i wait or no please help..lol

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
hi everyone,i'm in a difficult place here, i really want a fiat,i've wanted one since day 1.i really want the abarth but do i really want to wait almost a year for 70 horsepower? i was looking at pics of the pop and sport and just curious how the regular ones drive? and whats the heater block option on the fiat build your own option?just give your opinons cuz i'm going crazy here..lol do i wait or no please help..lol

Have you test drove the ones out there yet?
What are driving now to compare it to?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I suspect he's quite young. If you don't live somewhere that gets freezing temperatures like -20c, then you don'tn need a block heater. As far as reviews go, most pros like the car for it's style and amenities, but not as much as they like the Mini. But who cares what others think? When you are ready and able to actually buy the car, you just go out there and test drive all the cars you'd consider and see what you like.

Personally, even before I drove the 500, I knew it wasn't the car for me. I could live with the small size, but the engines too puny, and is much slower than any car I've ever owned. Then I drove one. Now, I'm waiting for a delivery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm 26 and i currently drive a 2004 neon srt4
i live in canada windsor ontario right across the river from detroit

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
The longer you wait the more the price of the car will increase. This is not guaranteed, but is more likely than not. Mini's may be coming down some however.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Wait for an Abarth. The standard engine, while technically a marvel, is a bit weak for the task.
what task? if you want a fast car, then most definitely wait. if you want a reasonably priced, economical stylish little car, then the engine is perfectly adequate.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Roberto - only you can answer this question, based on what you want in a car. I have a Pop and I think it's fantastic. To me, the only performance issue I see being an issue with someone is that it's a little sluggish to start off. Once it's going, it's nimble and quick and a real joy to drive. It's nice and throaty at 4,000rpms, if that's your thing.

I don't drive with a heavy foot, so 0-60 doesn't mean much to me. I rarely drive over 65mph, so top speed isn't important to me. I also don't care much for flash styling, preferring understated looks instead. So the Pop was tailor-made for me.

If you're interested in fast starts from the stoplight, or you want to go 120mph, or you want a racing motif on your car, you might want to wait for an Abarth. If it's mainly sporty looks you like, you might find you're perfectly satisfied with a Sport.

How far are you from a dealer? I think you've reached the point where you need to drive a couple.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Roberto - only you can answer this question, based on what you want in a car. I have a Pop and I think it's fantastic. To me, the only performance issue I see being an issue with someone is that it's a little sluggish to start off. Once it's going, it's nimble and quick and a real joy to drive. It's nice and throaty at 4,000rpms, if that's your thing.

I don't drive with a heavy foot, so 0-60 doesn't mean much to me. I rarely drive over 65mph, so top speed isn't important to me. I also don't care much for flash styling, preferring understated looks instead. So the Pop was tailor-made for me.

If you're interested in fast starts from the stoplight, or you want to go 120mph, or you want a racing motif on your car, you might want to wait for an Abarth. If it's mainly sporty looks you like, you might find you're perfectly satisfied with a Sport.

i feel exactly the same way. as far as the looks, the pop and sport are pretty much identical. the difference in the front and rear facia and very minor. both cars look the same to me.

besides, the pop 5 speed manual is the lightest of all versions....and therefore the quickest.;)

my main concern wasnt 0-60 either. fit, yaris, fiesta, etc. they are all slow anyway. my main concern was that it cruises at 65-70 mph comfortably, and i was stunned at how quiet it is at cruising speed (you need earplugs in a honda fit on the highway)

·
Registered
30 Posts
what task? if you want a fast car, then most definitely wait. if you want a reasonably priced, economical stylish little car, then the engine is perfectly adequate.
I agree! I have a Prima Edizione and was shocked at how nice the 101hp felt when i test drove it. Sure it's not a powerhouse, but it's just plain fun to drive. People forget what the original 500 was, nothing but a 2 cylinder economical CITY car with 21hp!
If you want more speed, wait for the Abarth or go out and get a VW GTI, otherwise, this is a fun, sporty, and economical car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Abarth is not that quick at all I have driven one a few times and been disappointed every time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts