Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Man, I'm sorry man...
You mean, like overloading? It probably won't, because the first thing in that case would be regulator/rectifier, and that would be distinct. I'm crossing the fingers that engine is physically okay! I just can't imagine what in the engine can cause such a extreme condition that affects the spark plug and the coil. I'm still betting my fiver that engine is okay... Speaking of which, when you try to crank, does it turn over? Do you hear any banging, or other abnormal noise?
it cranks over, but definitely doesn’t sound ok when it does. Almost as if there is compression issue. I’m betting there might be, I’m still going to compression test it.

·
Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
99 Posts
@AngusBoom

If you bought this car from a dealer, return it ASAP.

In my 40 years of turning wrenches, this is a new type of catastrophic failure.

OK - Why are the ignition coils 2, 3 & 4 marked with a red paint stick "EFF" ?

Was ignition coil 1 also marked the same way?

The reason I'm asking is I've seen similar paint stick markings on used parts from from dealing with junkyards.

They mark their parts at the check out counter when you purchase them - just in case you need to return them.

Since you've owned this car less than a month and out of the blue this occurs, my guess is that this vehicle had the same problem before, and someone went to a junkyard, purchased these coils, got the 500 running, and then sold the car as fast as possible.

Spitballing - Is there a junkyard near you with the initials EFF?

Good Luck and hope that helps -

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
They were all marked with the EFF. I bought this car from a small used car lot and I haven’t even driven it 50 miles yet. As much as I’d love to bring it back to the used car lot, it was an “as is” sale and I wouldn’t have a leg to stand on. This one hurts but I’m out $3500 and the car was fun while it lasted. I just bought a compression test kit, I’ll post the results once I do it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
UPDATE
Did the compression test, here’s the results;

cylinder 1(where spark plug and coil were burned)
30PSI

cylinder 2 210 PSI

cylinder 3 215 PSI

cylinder 4 210 PSI

guess this means goodbye Fiat. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
UPDATE
Did the compression test, here’s the results;

cylinder 1(where spark plug and coil were burned)
30PSI

cylinder 2 210 PSI

cylinder 3 215 PSI

cylinder 4 210 PSI

guess this means goodbye Fiat. Thank you all for your help.
Wow. What do you reckon happened in there? This is so new to me. Are you gonna scrap it? Or would you get a used engine or something?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The car has given me nothing but bad vibes, I already booked a scrapper who’s giving me $1100 for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a 2012 500c Pop with 106000 miles. I’ve owned it less than a month I think it’s DOA.

I was driving it today and the check engine light starting flashing(I know this usually means a misfire) I managed to get it 2 blocks from my house and it died.

I tried restarting after I pulled it over and nothing. I pulled the spark plugs and #1 ignition coil was broken in half and smelled /looked burnt. I pulled the spark plug and the electrode was pressed against the resistor. I bought a new plug and coil and put them in and nothing. I checked the plug for spark while a friend turned the key and I didn’t see anything.

I guess I’ll do a compression test tomorrow, but I fear this engine is DOA. If compression is ok, what should I check next that could cause no spark at the plug? Thanks in advance and it really stinks to have this happen, the car was fun to drive.
I hope you have better luck than I've had. My 2012 500 Lounge engine is destroyed and trying to find someone who will work on it is nearly impossible. I've owned this thing for 6 months and have hardly driven it... And mine only has 69k miles on it. Now I'm looking at a $5k+ repair. Keeping my fingers crossed for you --

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2012 500c Pop with 106000 miles. I’ve owned it less than a month I think it’s DOA.

I was driving it today and the check engine light starting flashing(I know this usually means a misfire) I managed to get it 2 blocks from my house and it died.

I tried restarting after I pulled it over and nothing. I pulled the spark plugs and #1 ignition coil was broken in half and smelled /looked burnt. I pulled the spark plug and the electrode was pressed against the resistor. I bought a new plug and coil and put them in and nothing. I checked the plug for spark while a friend turned the key and I didn’t see anything.

I guess I’ll do a compression test tomorrow, but I fear this engine is DOA. If compression is ok, what should I check next that could cause no spark at the plug? Thanks in advance and it really stinks to have this happen, the car was fun to drive.
You might have bad camshaft. I had one go out...sudden shut down on one cylinder....new coil and plug no change.... one lobe on the cam cracked and then it just freewheeled on the camshaft. The cams have lobes pressed on them, and a cracked lobe wil just cease activating exhaust valve, or if lob for multiair, will not activate intake valves and the broken lob just freewheels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You might have bad camshaft. I had one go out...sudden shut down on one cylinder....new coil and plug no change.... one lobe on the cam cracked and then it just freewheeled on the camshaft. The cams have lobes pressed on them, and a cracked lobe wil just cease activating exhaust valve, or if lob for multiair, will not activate intake valves and the broken lob just freewheels.
I too had a cam go bad. It took out something with the Multi-Air, so
I ended up replacing the engine with one found online - paid $500
sight-unseen. Instead of a" $4000+ job" I was quoted, just cost price
of engine plus new timing belt and a gasket set.
Runs like a champ.
-
Take advice from J.B. with a grain of salt.
He admitted to not actually working on a Fiat
other than ripping out an engine for scrap once.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I too had a cam go bad. It took out something with the Multi-Air, so
I ended up replacing the engine with one found online - paid $500
sight-unseen. Instead of a" $4000+ job" I was quoted, just cost price
of engine plus new timing belt and a gasket set.
Runs like a champ.
-
Take advice from J.B. with a grain of salt.
He admitted to not actually working on a Fiat
other than ripping out an engine for scrap once.
Excuse me - I worked as a R&D tech for a car company that worked with Fiat in developing a certain joint product. So yeah, I did "scrap" it once. I don't claim to know everything, as I have no idea what actually happened to OP's engine - that is extremely peculiar -, nor can I claim that I remember all the particulars, and so no, I didn't particularly work on Fiat as such, but I can say that I do have a fairly good understanding of those cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hey! Not to worry it’s easy. I struggle with that problem for over a year took it to the useless dealers and nobody found the fault; and two years later it was a recall to replace a transmission wire that caused this problem. Take it to a Fiat dealer and they will fix
It. I have the same car as you, and it has been working g fine for two years now. Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Excuse me - I worked as a R&D tech for a car company ...

That's great, JB, but be careful about trying to render
specific advice on a specific situation you're not familiar with.
Like " oh, you don't have to pull the engine to change the cam"
when it turned out I / we **** well DO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The car has given me nothing but bad vibes, I already booked a scrapper who’s giving me $1100 for it.
I am doing the same unless I can sell it, that is. Would anyone like to buy a gray 2012 Lounge with only 69k miles, and in great shape ...except for the blown engine? I also purchased the entire spare tire kit with the tools and the bracket assembly for installing the spare Pirrelli tire underneath the car for an additional $400. Will entertain all reasonable offers. Will be more than happy to provide photos.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yes sorry, I’d missed a page of posts. Here is what I’d written before realizing that. Most wont apply I suppose. Something might have precipitated the end result. Sorry for the misfortune.

Detonations can close gaps, burn or break off ground straps. Pock mark pistons. Look closely at the plug tip for beads of alloy spattered to the insulator. sign of piston deck losing molten metal. The coil degradation looks like may be very excessive carbon tracking. The added heat of frequent mistimed detonations may also be a factor there. Carbon tracking may be Arcing up and down the boot degrading it more with each spark. You may need to change the well tube along with curing the cause to end the tracking. Any residue can lead to more, as I understand it. The closed gap or fouled plug a possible cause? Not sure. Not able to fire if oil fouled, maybe. Or as said, coil failed finally.

An ecu reset and check fuse, good ideas. Not sure where you were at in dx’ing. I missed a few posts.

research carbon tracking with coil over plug packs like ours. My greater familiarity to it is with old school distributor ignition systems

21 - 37 of 37 Posts