Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Normally I reserve judgement on aesthetic choices, but since you asked for it, I will say that particular spoiler looks tacked on and out of place, much like the stick on scoops on the hood and the side of the car in front of the rear wheels. It does not flow well and does not speak to a cohesive design language. Of all the rear wings on the market, this would be my last choice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you are a purist; oh well, I like it and it actually works unlike the factory (which are stick on) spoilers. This one is bolted and the hardware hid under the trim plate. I could make the scoop and brake vents operational but I can't bring myself to cut holes it her yet with less than 1k miles (maybe later, I did make the box for under the hood). Lets see your 500. COHESIVE DESIGN Language, you sound like an art critic, lets see some of your customizing work?? I at least have some trophies for vehicles I have built and I bet this one will take a trophy or two this show season. To each his own; I hope you enjoy your 500 as much as I love driving mine. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
I am interested in how to make the intake from RRM more functional with a scoop down the road but I am curious how it might be mounted with the design of our hoods if it were placed in the center, then a box to channel the air on the underside which it seems you'd be the guy to build. I also may not go to cutting into the hood anytime soon but I have considered this as an option but felt it'd be ideal to have the air channeled, this would introduce colder air and a heatshield not unlike the MonsterFlow http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/17-1006C.html would help, being channeled and not straight into the filter might also lessen the worry of water others have mentioned when they saw the scoop on the RRM SEMA car and the scoop design http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_93&products_id=1129 . I'd want it all molded into the hood which the local body shop could handle and it'd have to be rounded and smooth as is the RRM scoop, I like your idea on your car but it seems boxy on the smooth lines of the 500. I can see why some might worry about water, the filter is plainly visible but as described above it might be less an issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't really mind what people say, I like it and that's what counts.There is always someone with a different viewpoint. I have been building and driving hot-rods for 30 years and have won a few shows and races along the way. I build what I like and I'd like to see some other ideas cuz' the factory spoilers look like junk to me and they are just for looks (and stuck on with 3m tape). The Abarth Assetto Corse and Fiat 695 Competizion use a wing spoiler with big side winglets, I personally think these look to big and are so low as to have little effect. But most people don't actually drive fast enough to feel how one works. Some people spend their time being creative and some being critics. As I said I like it and lets see some other peoples ideas, I do like the 500 madness carbon fiber one but they are not for sale yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am interested in how to make the intake from RRM more functional with a scoop down the road but I am curious how it might be mounted with the design of our hoods if it were placed in the center, then a box to channel the air on the underside which it seems you'd be the guy to build. I also may not go to cutting into the hood anytime soon but I have considered this as an option but felt it'd be ideal to have the air channeled, this would introduce colder air and a heatshield not unlike the MonsterFlow http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/17-1006C.html would help, being channeled and not straight into the filter might also lessen the worry of water others have mentioned when they saw the scoop on the RRM SEMA car and the scoop design http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_93&products_id=1129 . I'd want it all molded into the hood which the local body shop could handle and it'd have to be rounded and smooth as is the RRM scoop, I like your idea on your car but it seems boxy on the smooth lines of the 500. I can see why some might worry about water, the filter is plainly visible but as described above it might be less an issue.
I don't think water is a problem for most engines. The box I made has a hole and a low spot to drain any out before it gets to the intake plenum. I would bolt the box down under the hood with a tab to the battery mount, then use foam around the edge to seal with the hood, so the box stays put when the hood is raised. Like in the Abarth Assetto Corse the box stays put and has foam around it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you gotten any wind tunnel information about the direction of slip-stream? I figure you'd need information like that in order to properly place a wing and it be functional.
I actually just used the Richard Petty Mopar rule "it has to be high enough to be in clean air" that is why the spoiler on the his 1976 Superbird was so tall. As long as it is tilted down and in clear air it pushes down on the rear end. The greater the angle the more downforce. I tried to think of a way to make one adjustable but it seemed it would be to big. I did experiment with 2 different angles but this one I settled on matched the roof line the best and over about 70 you can feel it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It's awesome. Have you thought about lighted neon washer nozzles or maybe a personalized mirrored panel on the bottoms of the doors?

If you go with the nozzles, I think red would tie in your calipers.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It's awesome. Have you thought about lighted neon washer nozzles or maybe a personalized mirrored panel on the bottoms of the doors?

If you go with the nozzles, I think red would tie in your calipers.
and one of those LED exhaust tips... maybe some mudflaps with yosemite sam too.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
and one of those LED exhaust tips... maybe some mudflaps with yosemite sam too.
I don't think the mud flaps would flow with the lines of the rear bumper cover. Besides, aren't those for old 4wd trucks?

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Top, this is more what I had in mind.
Check out the other pics here: http://www.mpd1.com/content/mc_ramair2000_big.html This is what I had in mind when I said centered mounted and a channel for the air. Obviously this is an entire replacement hood but if I did anything with the FIAT I would want it blended so nicely it looks like it was not just stuck or bolted on (talking of the scoop and the view from the outside not the air box inside)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
You guys are brutal, lol. It's his taste, let it be. The only thing that bugs me is the shape of the hood scoop. The RRM version would look cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
You guys are brutal, lol. It's his taste, let it be. The only thing that bugs me is the shape of the hood scoop. The RRM version would look cleaner.
Agreed, this is what I mentioned above about not being smooth enough to match the 500 smooth curves, beyond that I think it is pretty cool what he has done and again I only wish I could create my own items!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Short answer. It works. I like it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts